Jump to content

Recruiting - 2023


Pistol
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Have we ever gotten a recruit out of the Springfield area?  I can recall at least a half dozen offers in the last 20 years, but no dice as of yet.  There appears to be a lot more Tiger fans in that part of the state.

It is even more complicated than that with Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Kansas, and Arkansas thrown into the mix. Fayetteville is actually a few minutes closer to Springfield than Columbia is. That part of the state becomes Razorbacks territory fast when you travel south of Springfield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess we had offers out to Kickapoo kids but I don't know how many we actually wanted in the end.

While we view Southwest Mo St as a glorified community college it has a decent pull in Springfield.  Most D-1 players out of the area end up there.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I guess we had offers out to Kickapoo kids but I don't know how many we actually wanted in the end.

While we view Southwest Mo St as a glorified community college it has a decent pull in Springfield.  Most D-1 players out of the area end up there.  

Case in point -- Jared Ridder, the last kid we offered from there, ended up at Missouri State after committing to Xavier.  The two Kickapoo kids on Missouri's roster were early Missouri leans.  

There are some very strong cultural connections between high schools, AAU programs and universities that we would have to overcome to break into that market.  I like our chances better in Dallas, Texas than in Springfield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why would we be surprised that SMS has a strong position in recruiting the Springfield area?  How is that different then us wanting to have a strong position in St. Louis.  It makes perfect sense.

They've been a .500 program for 10 years  One 20 win season in the last 10.  They play in at best a mid major conference.  Springfield and SW MO has been able to produce a steady diet of mid major players, but anything higher than that goes elsewhere.  If Springfield was developing higher level talent MO St wouldn't be a player for it.  `MO St gets a lot of their students from the St. Louis metro area.  You would think they would have a footprint in St. Louis recruiting.  Their St. Louis recruits are usually not even top 10 in the area in their class.  They pull a lot of borderline guys who went JUCO or MO St is their best offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

They've been a .500 program for 10 years  One 20 win season in the last 10.  They play in at best a mid major conference.  Springfield and SW MO has been able to produce a steady diet of mid major players, but anything higher than that goes elsewhere.  If Springfield was developing higher level talent MO St wouldn't be a player for it.  `MO St gets a lot of their students from the St. Louis metro area.  You would think they would have a footprint in St. Louis recruiting.  Their St. Louis recruits are usually not even top 10 in the area in their class.  They pull a lot of borderline guys who went JUCO or MO St is their best offer.

All of what you said is true but the players in that area are mid major players so why would they not look positively at attending SMS - that situation is not much differently then any other mid major conference schools.  Now will they attract a top tier player from the area - probably no better or worse than us attracting one from the St. Louis area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 11:58 PM, seanwest said:

After summer I've been able to rank 2023 the best I can in Missouri. (Not including players from out of state going prep)

 

1) Zaide Lowery, Kickapoo HS - Best player in the state, two way SG

Does anyone have a read on what sport Lowery will pursue in college? Kid looks legit. He is now a 4-star and ranked #90 by Rivals in the 2023 class.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drew Steffe - SG, 6-5, 175 - Frisco, TX (Memorial) - AAU: Team Griffin (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @DrewSteffe
Offers: Saint Louis, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State, TCU, Auburn, Arizona State, Oregon State, SMU, Tulane, Texas-El Paso, Rice, Western Michigan, Texas-Arlington.

Interest: George Washington, Villanova, Xavier, Creighton, Marquette, Butler, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Wake Forest, Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia, Vanderbilt, UCLA, Oregon, USC, Colorado, Utah, Washington State, Houston, Memphis, Central Florida, Tulsa, San Diego State, Boise State, Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, Yale, SIU-Carbondale, Southeast Missouri, North Texas, Toledo, Sam Houston State, Northwestern State, Georgia State, Texas State, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, UC-Riverside, Cal State-Northridge, NJIT, Montana State, Bryant, Liberty, California Baptist.

Latest News: Steffe received an offer from SLU. (8/30/21)

Scouting Report: Steffe is a sharpshooting guard who scores on three levels. He's an outstanding shooter with deep range.   Not a one-dimensional player, he's also a solid playmaker who finds his teammates and breaks down defenders off the dribble. He plays a very controlled, confident game. He's a versatile defender and high-level competitor. His dad played at Quincy and Portland State.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Half of SLU's 2023 offers are now to Texas players.

I like the timing here. Steffe picked up a number of strong offers early in HS but SLU is the only one this calendar year. He played this EYBL season with Team Griffin 16U and was 40%+ from 3 but didn't get any new offers.

He's in the process of taking some visits to Colorado, Butler, Minnesota, and Oregon State - only OSU has offered, so maybe the other three will do it on his visit to each campus. 

He has a ton of high-level interest. I'm wondering how committable some of those other offers are - kinda feels like a lot of the interests and early offers might still be taking a wait and see approach. So if SLU comes on strong now, we could wind up very much in the mix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Half of SLU's 2023 offers are now to Texas players.

I like the timing here. Steffe picked up a number of strong offers early in HS but SLU is the only one this calendar year. He played this EYBL season with Team Griffin 16U and was 40%+ from 3 but didn't get any new offers.

He's in the process of taking some visits to Colorado, Butler, Minnesota, and Oregon State - only OSU has offered, so maybe the other three will do it on his visit to each campus. 

He has a ton of high-level interest. I'm wondering how committable some of those other offers are - kinda feels like a lot of the interests and early offers might still be taking a wait and see approach. So if SLU comes on strong now, we could wind up very much in the mix.

I like the timing too.  He's a lanky sharpshooter with a good handle but he isn't an uber-athlete.  I don't think the top 75 ranking will hold.  More than likely we'll be up against middle of the pack P6 schools next year for his services.  We'll win one of those battles eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frisco was the location of our NIT game.   Might be hard to beat out OSU and TCU just based on location and conference.   But you never know maybe he has a certain major, religious affiliation,  desire to be at urban campus and play games in East coast.  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, papal said:

Steffe is working on his ball handling with a coach named Tyler Ralph.  Shooting skills are said to be excellent

I think you mean Tyler Relph (former St. Bonaventure player now a trainer).  Tyler "f*cking" Relph is up near the top of my personal "most despised Billiken opponents" list.  He dropped 25 on 6 of 6 shooting from 3pt vs SLU in the final game ever at Scottrade Center during Majerus first season.  Awful 20 point home loss by a mediocre SLU team against a bad Bonnies team on senior night for Polk, Meyer, Brown, & Husak.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/31/2021 at 2:17 PM, papal said:

My cousin is from Frisco.  His son is a sophomore in high school and plays AAU ball.  They had not heard anything about Steffe  He (Steffe) attends Frisco Memorial, Class of 2023

Do you meant they don't even know who he is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think you mean Tyler Relph (former St. Bonaventure player now a trainer).  Tyler "f*cking" Relph is up near the top of my personal "most despised Billiken opponents" list.  He dropped 25 on 6 of 6 shooting from 3pt vs SLU in the final game ever at Scottrade Center during Majerus first season.  Awful 20 point home loss by a mediocre SLU team against a bad Bonnies team on senior night for Polk, Meyer, Brown, & Husak.  

Relph works with almost all of our targets in Texas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At first they didn't remember him; but then they remembered him. My cousin's son's coach was aware of him and said he had offers from some high level D1 schools and that he had great size (a good 6" 5") at his shooting level

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...