Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
ACE

Yuri vs. Sincere Carry

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

As I pointed out last spring, Yuri’s ball handling and play making we’re not just good, but at an elite level. Never had any doubt he would be a star. What’s puzzling is how he was overlooked by so many other schools.

But we're glad he was, right? I knew he took a visit to Iowa. Not sure how that ended. He's in the right place learning from Ford. Who was pretty good at UK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here's my take from another thread: 

Yuri's about as good at seeing the court develop and having a feel for his teammates as anyone I've seen in . . . well, a long time.  His court  vision 3 games in is just outstanding.  To be honest, I'm surprised how good he's looking already -- the good kind of surprise.  Still a work in progress too, so what kind of dynamo monster can he become in the A10?? Can't wait to see...  and ps: he may not start this year; but when games are on the line, he will finish.  He'll get plenty of minutes...

Glad you started this thread.  Not sure everyone is getting what we have in young Yuri.  Great student and citizen too!  FWIW, I am just thrilled to have this guy!  trying to remember:  How long did it take for Kevin Lisch to start as a freshman??  Kwamain was also pretty impressive right off the bat. 

PS: to refresh some memories: I saw live and in person the following freshmen, so I have seen some major studs really great right away: Earvin Johnson, Calbert Cheaney, Isiah Thomas, George McGinnis, etc... All were just terrific right away.

I'd be interested to hear what other freshmen, right off in their first few games, impressed people on here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He wasn’t overlooked. He had surgery, and did not play out the summer going into senior year. If you disappear from AAU for an entire summer, you effectively fall of the face of the earth.

By the time he reappeared and then hit the playoffs, he was a SLU commit.

People need to chill a little bit on the Yuri worship. He is going to hit a couple of rough stretches in the games ahead, and get schooled a few times. He is mentally tough though, he has to be with all the heckling Roy is giving him for stealing the pg slot.

Teams are making book on his tendencies, but for a smooth point guard with a dominant handle, other than forcing him to his off side, and jumping him with a wingspan forward to cut his passing, he still is going to get some dimes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen two incredibly dominant hs pgs who jumped straight to the pros without any college, Shaun Livingston and Sebastian Telfair. Both had the same uncanny court sense that Magic displayed.

Livingston was so prescient that the better b-ball minds in Peoria had tagged him as an NBA talent in 8th grade. He didn’t disappoint.

Collins has the vision, handle, timing, and strength to be a fringe NBA guard. He needs to find a 3 pt and a 15 footer, and just perfect his all around game.

im old enough that freshmen didn’t play in my yut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

I

Collins has the vision, handle, timing, and strength to be a fringe NBA guard. He needs to find a 3 pt and a 15 footer, and just perfect his all around game.

 

And a floater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

here's my take from another thread: 

Yuri's about as good at seeing the court develop and having a feel for his teammates as anyone I've seen in . . . well, a long time.  His court  vision 3 games in is just outstanding.  To be honest, I'm surprised how good he's looking already -- the good kind of surprise.  Still a work in progress too, so what kind of dynamo monster can he become in the A10?? Can't wait to see...  and ps: he may not start this year; but when games are on the line, he will finish.  He'll get plenty of minutes...

Glad you started this thread.  Not sure everyone is getting what we have in young Yuri.  Great student and citizen too!  FWIW, I am just thrilled to have this guy!  trying to remember:  How long did it take for Kevin Lisch to start as a freshman??  Kwamain was also pretty impressive right off the bat. 

PS: to refresh some memories: I saw live and in person the following freshmen, so I have seen some major studs really great right away: Earvin Johnson, Calbert Cheaney, Isiah Thomas, George McGinnis, etc... All were just terrific right away.

I'd be interested to hear what other freshmen, right off in their first few games, impressed people on here....

Larry Hughes had a pretty good Freshman season before playing with Lebron James the following year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Larry Hughes had a pretty good Freshman season before playing with Lebron James the following year. 

Yes, the Legend did have a good year with SLU, but several years went by before he teamed with LeBron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yurimania's a FR. He will struggle in future games. Bigger stronger guards. But he's got the right mindset of a PG... I'm the QB. I make everything click. You've seen it. His pass to Hargrove last night was a team first play. His anticipation is way beyond his years, i.e. I can set other players up. He keeps this attitude and we will have a very special player for 3.9 years. He's already made jaw drawing plays. Imagine his future when he gets stronger and smarter. That's the case for Yurimania. The kids a PG natural. You ain't seen nothing yet! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Yep, Larry started off with The Truth, AI.

Wasn’t AI “The Answer” and Paul Pierce was “The Truth”?

Larry playing with LeBron in his rookie year is off in a number of ways.  Larry was drafted by the 76ers in 1998.  He also played for Golden State and Washington before making his way to Cleveland in 2005.  LeBron wasn’t drafted by Cleveland until 2003 (or 5 years after Larry was in the league).  I do think Larry’s most memorable years were with LeBron in Cleveland though as the 06-07 team made the finals with Larry as the 2nd leading scorer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Larry's best season by far was his last season in Washington and by no coincidence the season before he became a free agent.  His win shares that year were double any other season.  His defense was game changing by then, his offense was never very good, he was never a good shooter and he needed a bunch of touches to get his points.  He got injured that first year in Cleveland and could never replicate that defensive intensity again.  His career kept tumbling, by his 3rd year in Cleveland he went from all NBA defense averaging 20 a game to just a bench player and was still on a huge contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, slu72 said:

Yurimania's a FR. He will struggle in future games. Bigger stronger guards. But he's got the right mindset of a PG... I'm the QB. I make everything click. You've seen it. His pass to Hargrove last night was a team first play. His anticipation is way beyond his years, i.e. I can set other players up. He keeps this attitude and we will have a very special player for 3.9 years. He's already made jaw drawing plays. Imagine his future when he gets stronger and smarter. That's the case for Yurimania. The kids a PG natural. You ain't seen nothing yet! 

I really hope your projections about the future development of Yuri become true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thetorch said:

Larry's best season by far was his last season in Washington and by no coincidence the season before he became a free agent.  His win shares that year were double any other season.  His defense was game changing by then, his offense was never very good, he was never a good shooter and he needed a bunch of touches to get his points.  He got injured that first year in Cleveland and could never replicate that defensive intensity again.  His career kept tumbling, by his 3rd year in Cleveland he went from all NBA defense averaging 20 a game to just a bench player and was still on a huge contract.

I'm not sure you were specifically trying to dispute my post, but that's why I said the Cleveland years were most memorable (because he played next to LeBron and made a Finals) and not best.

I wonder how much learning the ropes under Iverson (if that was even the really the case) had an impact on Larry's career.  I really liked AI as a player and he was super fun to watch, but I can't imagine a much worse player for a young talent to emulate (high volume/low efficiency, dislike of practice, issues with coaching, etc.).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, slu72 said:

That must make me, 3 Star, Chairman of the Board 😎

No doubt you are the President, but why does 3-star get that appointment?

It seems like it should go to the guy who started the thread back in March. 😉

When I raised this possibility: "Sincere Carry led the A10 in assists - an impressive accomplishment for a freshman. IF Yuri is as good as advertised, I wonder if he could do something approaching that level."

3-Star's response was, "No" 

Mr. President, I rest my case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not sure you were specifically trying to dispute my post, but that's why I said the Cleveland years were most memorable (because he played next to LeBron and made a Finals) and not best.

I wonder how much learning the ropes under Iverson (if that was even the really the case) had an impact on Larry's career.  I really liked AI as a player and he was super fun to watch, but I can't imagine a much worse player for a young talent to emulate (high volume/low efficiency, dislike of practice, issues with coaching, etc.).  

i hated when hughes was playing with iverson.    i think it retarded Larry's development.   and it didnt help that larry brown never used hughes to his maximum abilities imo.   i think the sixers were pretty much wasted years for larry hughes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ACE said:

No doubt you are the President, but why does 3-star get that appointment?

It seems like it should go to the guy who started the thread back in March. 😉

When I raised this possibility: "Sincere Carry led the A10 in assists - an impressive accomplishment for a freshman. IF Yuri is as good as advertised, I wonder if he could do something approaching that level."

3-Star's response was, "No" 

Mr. President, I rest my case!

U are hereby appointed CYO. Chief Yuri Optimist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 3:21 PM, ACE said:

Sincere Carry led the A10 in assists - an impressive accomplishment for a freshman. IF Yuri is as good as advertised, I wonder if he could do something approaching that level.

I'm not trying to put unrealistic expectations on Yuri, but those who have seen him play lately are raving about him, And Carry's success is another example of how talented freshman can really make an impact in this league. Also Bynum, who is 5-10 ranked 6th in assists as a frosh.

BTW, Carry has a very interesting story. He had a few injuries and actually committed to a D2 program. He had a big senior year, got out of his commitment and signed with the Dukes. What a steal he was for them.

Well, Yuri most definitely did something "approaching that level." He was only .5 apg from leading the league. If Gibson stayed healthy, who knows, he gets even closer. 

Comparing Yuri to Carry's freshman year... Carry averaged 5.8 apg and 3.0 to/g. Yuri 5.5 apg and 3.2 to/g.  This year, Carry 5.3 apg and 2.8 to/g, so Yuri edged him in assists. We have a lot of scoring options, so won't need Yuri to score the way Carry does, but I think he showed enough this year, that I think his junior year, after the big three graduate, he'll provide a decent bump in scoring too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You were right about Yuri.  I assumed that our starting lineup would eventually consist of Goodwin, Thatch, Jimerson, Perkins and French and Yuri would be a sparkplug off the bench.   Instead, Thatch was never healthy and Yuri was given the keys by game 2 and Goodwin was used more as a point forward.  Once he got the opportunity, Yuri did exactly what I expected.  I just never thought with the aforementioned lineup he would ever get the opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I had too many drinks at the time, but I seem to recall against SBU that Yuri completed a bounce pass between the legs of an SBU player.  Does anyone else recall this or was I just drunk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was re-watching the first SLU-UMass game last night (not a lot of live sports on TV these days) and had the realization that what most surprised me about Yuri this year was how explosive/physical he was. I knew he was a smaller guy in high school and expected him to get pushed around a bit at the D1 level. But he proved he can guard bigger guys even as a freshman, which is huge for his ceiling moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yurimania will continue to flourish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Props to those of you who drove the Yurimania Bandwagon. slu72, I see you. You guys were on it.

I’ve compared Javonte’ to the Iceman, French to Wes Unseld, and Gibson to J.J. Reddick. My comparison for Yuri is a smaller version of Jason Kidd. I’ll say now that Yuri will develop into a serviceable shooter and play in the league. Not saying he’ll be an All-Star but if Ish Smith can play 10 years in the league, then Yuri can, too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Yurimania will continue to flourish. 

You and BBF were on the Yurimania wagon from the beginning. props to you both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Props to those of you who drove the Yurimania Bandwagon. slu72, I see you. You guys were on it.

I’ve compared Javonte’ to the Iceman, French to Wes Unseld, and Gibson to J.J. Reddick. My comparison for Yuri is a smaller version of Jason Kidd. I’ll say now that Yuri will develop into a serviceable shooter and play in the league. Not saying he’ll be an All-Star but if Ish Smith can play 10 years in the league, then Yuri can, too.

 

I wanted to say in my 2019-2020 random thoughts that Yuri would lead us to a Final 4 but I wussed out and didn't do it. I like this comparison too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...