GDT #Hawktober

Littlebill

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need an 11 man roster. There will be games where spot minutes are needed. This is where Jacobs and Hankton come into being important. Wiley's starting to scare me. 

One thing about last night; Travis seemed worried about us being sloppy, from all reports, sounded like we played very efficiently. One caveat is it was Quincy, but it has to start someplace. 

3 hours ago, drkelsey55 said:

Goodwin was not the Goodwin from last year in my opinion, looks like he lost too much weight.

Did not recognise(sp?) him at the start of the game, he looked much better the second half.

There were several breakaways early where Goodwin was looking to feed a teammate for something spectacular rather than just laying it up himself.  Definitely still working out the kinks but he'll but he'll be fine.

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Hasn’t Gordon been sick?

Yeah, please don’t take my post as being negative. Maybe it’s just that we have such imposing forwards around him but I wonder if playing against physically imposing big men will be a tough adjustment. Also I wanted to use the nickname Carti G

Billiken Rich likes this

I think you are all being a little too harsh what with this being an exhibition against a severely out-manned opponent.  Looking at it from a 50,000 foot view ....

The good......

Isabell can still score and he seems to be relishing the responsibility to be a distributor, per the papers.  If he has half the ability Jett had in closing games, this team will be fine.

Bess has, from all reports, come out with an improved shot.  Considering he is our "man," this is great news. Just what we needed.

Even on an off night, French let his defense do some talking.  

We all know what Goodwin can do.  He will do it but Jordan seemed to get the message that this was a developmental assignment for Isabell and I'm okay with that.

Gordon did well enough ----- ditto Foreman.  

Ingi got mop up minutes in the second half but seemed okay.  He hit a three so there is hope there that he too adds what we need.

The bad .......

Team free throw shooting is still an issue.  French's free throw shooting is still an issue.  These are the only two things that concern me from a team standpoint right now.

I said this when he signed with us but WIley remains an injury concern.  Such was his career at Maryland.  

An observation .....

While I am glad the walk-ons got to play, and I'd be okay with a 8-man rotation, I still think we are going to need more from Wiley and some decent time here and there from Hankton and Jacobs.  Especially if Welmer is done and Wiley continues to tweak things.  Anybody know anything for certain on Jacobs ----- seems there were some issues with his prep work and now this unnamed issue with qualifications.  We have taken a few hits recently(Santos, Welmer, Jacobs) that I could do without.

On to UMSL......

TheChosenOne likes this

isabell was the surprise of the night.   as i said earlier, i knew he would be good, but not this good.  he appears does it all.  and my fear of his likely me first attitude was allivieated.   he passed and he is a good passer.   now if he will just get serious on defense.   

that said, this team might be just good enough that we arent afraid to play a game in the 70's and 80's.   shooting looked a lot better.   

hoosierpal noted foreman made free throws.   that indeed was a welcome sight.   of course french was wide right a number of times. but one rock thrower at a time.   

i dont like goodwin sitting on the wing without the ball, but cant argue that it hurt the team.   isabell is for real it seems to me.  for this year, the ball will be his until he gives it to someone else.  

gordon, wasnt bad.  but honestly he did most of his work at the end of the game when slu had the walkons and end of bench guys in the game.   he will be fine, but at this point i think he will have to turn up the intensity to be ahead of foreman.   its just one game and truly what a nice problem to have.   

last wiley and thatch showed well.   i think it is awesome that two good players like they appear to be will be lucky to get double digit minutes most nights.   

folks this is a good team.   better get tickets while they last.  

Billiken Rich likes this

One SURE thing on this year is this ----- with the preseason hype, we now have a huge bull's eye on our backs.  Every team will bring their "A" game to us.  The A-10 title will be earned, not ceded, based on media reports and exhibition games against D-II nobodies.

a couple of non basketball observations.....

the billiken wear shop had a few new things.   almost pulled the trigger on the ugly billiken christmas sweater/sweatshirt.    liked the button down dress shirt a lot.   there were a number of nice ladies wear things that seemed new.  

grabbed one of the license plate holders that were there for the taking.   that will look real nice on my new truck.  

band indeed was light last night.   hopefully that was a one night thing.  that said they still were very good.  still the best pepband in the world.  

one last basketball note i just thought of, how about the cheap shot on Thor as the game ended?   i think if i was slu, i would be calling quincy and advising them based on that they wont be welcome for a payday like last night again at slu.  

Wiley picked off a pass near mid court and his landing looked almost like he hyper extended his knee but maybe he just tweaked the ankle that’s been bothering him. Hope it’s nothing serious. His shot looks pure and has good size. Would be a good player off the bench

Can’t disagree with most of eeveryones assessments. One thing I will add about French, he was doubled team every time he got the ball in the post and made some very nice passes out of it. He missed two gimmes that he usually throws down. He will be a monster this year. Let’s just hope he can get the ft percentage up to 50-60%

48 minutes ago, RamJAMTIME said:

Two more articles about the game in the Post Dispatch this morning, but they can't help but reference SPUMAC. Pretty everyone knows what a face mask looks like.

Still better than the alternative of no coverage.

Links for the lazy

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-many-reasons-for-excitement-in-slu-s-exhibition-win/article_e1daa403-811c-56e5-9ea3-f9ccc34fea8f.html

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billikens-roll-by-quincy-in-exhibition-opener/article_5d24305e-8197-5b1b-9d08-58c68230ae2a.html

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I think you are all being a little too harsh what with this being an exhibition against a severely out-manned opponent.  Looking at it from a 50,000 foot view ....

The good......

Isabell can still score and he seems to be relishing the responsibility to be a distributor, per the papers.  If he has half the ability Jett had in closing games, this team will be fine.

Bess has, from all reports, come out with an improved shot.  Considering he is our "man," this is great news. Just what we needed.

Even on an off night, French let his defense do some talking.  

We all know what Goodwin can do.  He will do it but Jordan seemed to get the message that this was a developmental assignment for Isabell and I'm okay with that.

Gordon did well enough ----- ditto Foreman.  

Ingi got mop up minutes in the second half but seemed okay.  He hit a three so there is hope there that he too adds what we need.

The bad .......

Team free throw shooting is still an issue.  French's free throw shooting is still an issue.  These are the only two things that concern me from a team standpoint right now.

I said this when he signed with us but WIley remains an injury concern.  Such was his career at Maryland.  

An observation .....

While I am glad the walk-ons got to play, and I'd be okay with a 8-man rotation, I still think we are going to need more from Wiley and some decent time here and there from Hankton and Jacobs.  Especially if Welmer is done and Wiley continues to tweak things.  Anybody know anything for certain on Jacobs ----- seems there were some issues with his prep work and now this unnamed issue with qualifications.  We have taken a few hits recently(Santos, Welmer, Jacobs) that I could do without.

On to UMSL......

Man, if Isabelle is half as good as Jett in closing games, the other half will come from JGOOD, as he was doing so in A10 play last year. BIG DANCE

David King likes this