Collegesportsmadness' Top 144

bauman

53 minutes ago, willie said:

Don't know the answer but here is my guess. We sell the rights to our production to Learfield Communications. They give the U x dollars for the rights. Learfield then goes out and sells the advertising ,pays the annoucers etc. 

This is how the Learfield deal I've been around works (Not SLUs necessarily). Learfield guarantees a certain minimum amount to the school for the rights to all the internal signage, sponsorships, in game promos, and broadcast rights. Learfield then buys time on the radio and/or TV, sells advertising, produces the games for the time they bought- the radio will say "A production of SLU Sports Properties and Learfield" or whatever. The radio rights are all theirs (I assume SLU did it this way). The TV is in a position where they get to choose based on demand (if they can make any money) after any sort of national tv agreements are satisfied from the conference or whatever. 

They place a "general manager" of the SLU sports properties in the market to basically be an account executive for those things they've contracted to sell. That person is an employee of Learfield but operates out of the AD offices. Their direct supervisor is probably in Louisville. Then depending on market size they'll always have at least a secondary person to handle the detail work,  somewhat of a sales assistant. I believe SLU operates with another account executive as well. 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

This is how the Learfield deal I've been around works (Not SLUs necessarily). Learfield guarantees a certain minimum amount to the school for the rights to all the internal signage, sponsorships, in game promos, and broadcast rights. Learfield then buys time on the radio and/or TV, sells advertising, produces the games for the time they bought- the radio will say "A production of SLU Sports Properties and Learfield" or whatever. The radio rights are all theirs (I assume SLU did it this way). The TV is in a position where they get to choose based on demand (if they can make any money) after any sort of national tv agreements are satisfied from the conference or whatever. 

They place a "general manager" of the SLU sports properties in the market to basically be an account executive for those things they've contracted to sell. That person is an employee of Learfield but operates out of the AD offices. Their direct supervisor is probably in Louisville. Then depending on market size they'll always have at least a secondary person to handle the detail work,  somewhat of a sales assistant. I believe SLU operates with another account executive as well. 

Thanks to you and the other respondents.  I questioned the original comment that SLU (or any other school) actually out to outlay some bucks to get games on the tube.  

12 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Well there we are at 53. 

Extreme Optimist view: This is the bad news @TheOne mentioned.

Has us as a 12 seed.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/bracketology

This SLU article brings up something I wasn't totally aware of, our entire offensive package last year was, well, offensive.

The 314th 3 Pt FG% has been documented in other threads.  But we were nationally 328th in scoring offense, 299th in FG%, 327th in 3 PT FG Attempts, 335th in FT% and 293rd in A/G.  The staff is obviously well aware of these deficiencies from last season, but there is a LOT of room for improvement, just to get to be average.

Taking baby steps.  #58 last year to #53 this year.  Probably a reasonable prediction for non-Billiken fans who don't know as much about the team as we do.  Subtle indication that they think the A-10 is going to have a down year when the league champ is only # 53 in the country.  Hopefully they, like many others, have unrated us.

Just using their predictions, it looks like they see us losing to FSU, Butler, Houston, and possibly at SH (#55).  Throw in 2 Conf away game losses  and this would give us 6 losses heading into the A-10 tournament which we would need to win with 6 losses on our record.  I think we will 2 of the 4 OOC games mentioned above and have one-not two- in Conference away loss, meaning we enter the A-10 tournament with 3 losses.  If we would lose one game in that tournament (hopefully it would be in the final) I think that would get us in.  Of course, I'd rather just win that tournament and get in automatically.

AND THE WINNER IS:

billikenfan05 who was one of two to predict #53.  Sidenote, billikenfan05 was also the first to make a prediction, immediately following up my initial post on 6/16.  BillyKitty also had #53, but not until July 14th.

05, I'll PM you later as we get closer to the season starting to see when you want to collect your free A-B product.

Projection:
Only four players who saw any action last year are back, but they are four very good players. Jordan Goodwin had a superb freshman campaign, averaging 11.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.0 steals. Goodwin can put up some huge numbers and is an outside shot away from developing into one of the best players in the conference. Fellow sophomore Hasahn French had a great freshman season as well, averaging 9.3 points, 7.1 rebounds and 1.8 blocks. Seniors Javon Bess and D.J. Foreman were also key players during the 2017-2018 season. Bess led the way with 13.3 points per game. But Saint Louis has a huge amount of important newcomers that will make all the difference. In addition to Elliott Welmer, who missed last season with an injury, Coach Ford brings in experience with junior college transfer Jack Raboin, Drexel transfer Tramaine Isabell, South Florida transfer Luis Santos and Maryland transfer Dion Wiley. Both Isabell and Wiley should be able to add some much needed outside shooting to the roster. A group of freshmen, led by Carte’Are Gordon, will add even more options to an already talented roster. This group has a ton of talent and quite a bit of experience too, but Coach Ford will need to get all those new pieces to come together relatively quickly in order for Saint Louis to reach the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2014.

Jack Raboin?  Isn't he a walk-on?  Surely we're not expecting him to play much, are we?  This is not like last year, when the roster losses forced Coach Ford to utilize Aaron Hines for something other than being a "victory cigar"!

19 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Jack Jaboin?  Isn't he a walk-on?  Surely we're not expecting him to play much, are we?  This is not like last year, when the roster losses forced Coach Ford to utilize Aaron Hines for something other than being a "victory cigar"!

Who is the Jack Jaboin, you write about????  I don't see him mentioned in the Top 144 write-up.  😉

Edited by bauman
correction

29 minutes ago, bauman said:

Who is the Jack Jaboin, you write about????  I don't see him mentioned in the Top 144 write-up.  😉

Typo.  My bad.  I should have listened to my first thought and copied and pasted the name, but noooo!  I thought, maybe I should go ahead and type it out.

How many times am I going to type Raboin this season?

11 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Typo.  My bad.  I should have listened to my first thought and copied and pasted the name, but noooo!  I thought, maybe I should go ahead and type it out.

How many times am I going to type Raboin this season?

Probably not many!

5 hours ago, bauman said:

Taking baby steps.  #58 last year to #53 this year.  Probably a reasonable prediction for non-Billiken fans who don't know as much about the team as we do.  Subtle indication that they think the A-10 is going to have a down year when the league champ is only # 53 in the country.  Hopefully they, like many others, have unrated us.

Just using their predictions, it looks like they see us losing to FSU, Butler, Houston, and possibly at SH (#55).  Throw in 2 Conf away game losses  and this would give us 6 losses heading into the A-10 tournament which we would need to win with 6 losses on our record.  I think we will 2 of the 4 OOC games mentioned above and have one-not two- in Conference away loss, meaning we enter the A-10 tournament with 3 losses.  If we would lose one game in that tournament (hopefully it would be in the final) I think that would get us in.  Of course, I'd rather just win that tournament and get in automatically.

Two very good points. 

All of the fan bases will have this same comment you made concerning us.  The five teams behind us in this ranking, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, Alabama, Davidson and Baylor, have a fan base that is saying, yeah this guy really doesn't know us very well.  And that is a true statement.  No one has the time for a deep dive into each NCAA top 144 team.  How many videos of Team Workouts at Baylor has this guy seen?  How many lifting sessions at Notre Dame did this guy review.  Did he go to Davidson to see how Frampton is recovering?  No, no and no. Why is he so high on Seton Hall with only one proven scorer returning.  Has he sat down with Willard to find out how what he is going to do?  This is all based on guess work, with the main basis last year's performance and returning players.

If we get L's versus FSU, Butler, Houston and SH, we then would have to win the A10 tourney to get an NCAA bid.  Those would be four Quad 1 wins that didn't happen.  That would be bad.  We would be down to perhaps two potential Quad 1 wins, at St. Joe and at SIUC.

6 hours ago, bauman said:

AND THE WINNER IS:

billikenfan05 who was one of two to predict #53.  Sidenote, billikenfan05 was also the first to make a prediction, immediately following up my initial post on 6/16.  BillyKitty also had #53, but not until July 14th.

05, I'll PM you later as we get closer to the season starting to see when you want to collect your free A-B product.

I’d like to thank @bauman for putting out this challenge. I’d like to thank my fellow posters @slufan13 @QUAILMAN @NextYearBill  and last but not least my sponsor Zima for helping me blackout over the last 4 years of, sometimes excruciating, Billiken basketball.

17 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’d like to thank @bauman for putting out this challenge. I’d like to thank my fellow posters @slufan13 @QUAILMAN @NextYearBill  and last but not least my sponsor Zima for helping me blackout over the last 4 years of, sometimes excruciating, Billiken basketball.

Thanks for the shout-out dawg... congrats on the big win, you deserve it