Collegesportsmadness' Top 144

bauman

49 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Fightin' salukis come in at #76

The game down in Methdale should be interesting.  They return all 5 starters, but 4 of the 5 are guards.  I think it might be a big night for our Fab Four (HF, CAG, LS, DJF) especially, and even for Bess.  If their returning  Big doesn't wear down by halftime it will be because he is on the bench with foul  (or as they say in Methdale, fowl) trouble.

For those of you who dislike this thread, this write up  is a good example of why I pay so much attention to this annual topic.  I don't think many, if any of us, would have been aware of what SIU-C had returning and the size problem they will have with our team.  Again, I don't think their predictions are the value of the website, but rather, the analysis incorporated into their team summaries. I like being able to look at one website to get information on all of our opponents and frankly, in many cases their summaries are as good or better than some of the magazines that cost $5-$10.

Edited by bauman
Additional information

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

The game down in Methdale should be interesting.  They return all 5 starters, but 4 of the 5 are guards.  I think it might be a big night for our Fab Four (HF, CAG, LS, DJF) especially, and even for Bess.  If their returning  Big doesn't wear down by halftime it will be because he is on the bench with foul  (or as they say in Methdale, fowl) trouble.

I wouldnt even mind going smaller and playing 3 guards.  So. many. options.

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I wouldnt even mind going smaller and playing 3 guards.  So. many. options.

With the guard talent I think we will have this year, that would probably work, but I say, "hammer 'em with our Bigs."  Use our size to our advantage! Show no mercy!

Seriously, I like having them on our schedule every year.  It just makes sense to play your closest (geographic) quality D-1 rival yearly, (sorry SIU-E, SEMO and SPUMAC) plus I like listening to and watching B Hinson (who I consider Spoon-lite).

Thank you for the positivity bauman but it's only an opinion ..... one not shared by all.  And certainly nothing more than one man's opinion.

I do watch ALOT of A10 games however to form the opinion.  

22 hours ago, bauman said:

With the guard talent I think we will have this year, that would probably work, but I say, "hammer 'em with our Bigs."  Use our size to our advantage! Show no mercy!

Seriously, I like having them on our schedule every year.  It just makes sense to play your closest (geographic) quality D-1 rival yearly, (sorry SIU-E, SEMO and SPUMAC) plus I like listening to and watching B Hinson (who I consider Spoon-lite).

There has never been a time in my lifetime where "hammer' em with our bigs" would've been a strategy rather than a punchline.  We are truly in rarefied air here.

43 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

There has never been a time in my lifetime where "hammer' em with our bigs" would've been a strategy rather than a punchline.  We are truly in rarefied air here.

I recall the days, say 2000-12 when we were all praying for just one Anthony Bonner type to show his face on campus. Instead we got guys like Obi Wan and Vashon Newburn. Under Majerus we got the Conk, who turned out to be more than we expected. I won't count Willie since he didn't last too long. Then under Crews we got the deadly inside duo of Jolly Mon and Gillman. Now to have a front court with guys like Gordon, French, Santos, Foreman, and Wellmer (if he indeed can play) is pinch me time as in I must be dreaming. I hope Wellmer can play.  He's not  a banger like the other 4 but does give our inside game some versatility if he can still hit the 3 ball. And, as I recall, he was a decent shot blocker.

billiken_roy likes this

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I recall the days, say 2000-12 when we were all praying for just one Anthony Bonner type to show his face on campus. Instead we got guys like Obi Wan and Vashon Newburn. Under Majerus we got the Conk, who turned out to be more than we expected. I won't count Willie since he didn't last too long. Then under Crews we got the deadly inside duo of Jolly Mon and Gillman. Now to have a front court with guys like Gordon, French, Santos, Foreman, and Wellmer (if he indeed can play) is pinch me time as in I must be dreaming. I hope Wellmer can play.  He's not  a banger like the other 4 but does give our inside game some versatility if he can still hit the 3 ball. And, as I recall, he was a decent shot blocker.

Put any one of our 4 current frontcourt players on the Ian, Lisch, Liddell, Meyer team that won 20 games and we may have been dancing that year. 

On the flip side, then Soderberg stays on as coach and Majerus never comes here (but neither does Crews).  Eventually Soderberg still gets canned, SLU hires Cuonzo Martin and SLU fans are posting memes of Martin drinking coffee every time he lands a third-tier recruit. 

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

While I am not counting on Eric to play many, if any, minutes this year, if he does stay healthy then I see him more as relieving Javon at the #3 than taking minutes from our 4 Bigs.  If Welmer shoots as well from outside as he has in his limited time on the 'Fetz floor, then he could be an asset.  To me the back up #3 is the only depth area of concern I have and yes I think he was a decent shot blocker.  I also think he was a decent rebounder but with another year in the weight room and playing against our Big 4 everyday in practice, he will probably be even better on the boards.

Imagine a lineup when he subs in for Bess.  Pick two from our 4 Bigs, Welmer, Goodwin and Isabell-incredible size and rebounding ability.

6 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Put any one of our 4 current frontcourt players on the Ian, Lisch, Liddell, Meyer team that won 20 games and we may have been dancing that year. 

On the flip side, then Soderberg stays on as coach and Majerus never comes here (but neither does Crews).  Eventually Soderberg still gets canned, SLU hires Cuonzo Martin and SLU fans are posting memes of Martin drinking coffee every time he lands a third-tier recruit. 

Hey Shoe!  Don't you be pickin on CM's recruiting.  You seem to forget that he has an experienced front line - two players - that could control a game against the Bills 4 Bigs!!!  😉

Seriously, as much as I hate to admit it, he has a really good pair of incoming FR - Pinson and Watson, although he did miss on Ramey and Gordon.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

Hey Shoe!  Don't you be pickin on CM's recruiting.  You seem to forget that he has an experienced front line - two players - that could control a game against the Bills 4 Bigs!!!  😉

Seriously, as much as I hate to admit it, he has a really good pair of incoming FR - Pinson and Watson, although he did miss on Ramey and Gordon.

I'm sure Watson will be very good.  Pinson seems to be more in the "solid contributor" camp. I'd rather have Gordon and Thatch.

bauman likes this

4 hours ago, bauman said:

While I am not counting on Eric to play many, if any, minutes this year, if he does stay healthy then I see him more as relieving Javon at the #3 than taking minutes from our 4 Bigs.  If Welmer shoots as well from outside as he has in his limited time on the 'Fetz floor, then he could be an asset.  To me the back up #3 is the only depth area of concern I have and yes I think he was a decent shot blocker.  I also think he was a decent rebounder but with another year in the weight room and playing against our Big 4 everyday in practice, he will probably be even better on the boards.

Imagine a lineup when he subs in for Bess.  Pick two from our 4 Bigs, Welmer, Goodwin and Isabell-incredible size and rebounding ability.

I've asked this before but never got an answer, won't Thatch be the backup to Bess? 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

I've asked this before but never got an answer, won't Thatch be the backup to Bess? 

i think it depends on match-ups.  For example when playing a team like SIU that is height challenged then I think Fred could sub in for Bess, but even though FT is extremely strong, I think he is a little short (6'2"-6'3") to play the Wing/SF against most other teams.  But this is just an early thought.  It will be interesting to watch, especially since the 2 Guard positions will be tough to get minutes in with JG, TI and DW. besides Jacobs and Thor looking for some minutes.  One thought, is that maybe Wiley might be more of a Bess sub.  Isn't Wiley about 6'4"? 

12 hours ago, bauman said:

Does Elliott know his name has been changed?

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Does Elliott know his name has been changed?

Yes, he officially was changed 3 weeks ago, which I guess you were not aware.. I convinced him to keep his first name as one beginning with a "E' so we can still refer to him as EW.

You must be a very lonely, unhappy man!

By may count, what with #72 mentioned toady and given what has already been revealed, only the order is the issue now.  With 71 spots remaining, 66 are already claimed in the rankings by the big conferences.  As of #72, the ACC has twelve teams yet to come, the SEC 10.  The Big Ten and Big twelve have 8 more teams each while Pac-12 and Big East await 7 more reveals each.  That is 52 of the remaining 66 spots spoken for.  The All-American is next with five to come then us in the A10.  Only five more possible surprise teams coming in from nowhere and one of those is likely Loyola of Chicago for memories' sake. 

On 8/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, slu72 said:

I'm sure the guard spots 1-3 will be pretty interchangeable.  It doesn't really matter on offense and I think Thatch, Wiley, and/or Goodwin could all defend an opposing team's 3.  Most teams don't have small forwards that are much above 6'4".  

Zink likes this

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

By may count, what with #72 mentioned toady and given what has already been revealed, only the order is the issue now.  With 71 spots remaining, 66 are already claimed in the rankings by the big conferences.  As of #72, the ACC has twelve teams yet to come, the SEC 10.  The Big Ten and Big twelve have 8 more teams each while Pac-12 and Big East await 7 more reveals each.  That is 52 of the remaining 66 spots spoken for.  The All-American is next with five to come then us in the A10.  Only five more possible surprise teams coming in from nowhere and one of those is likely Loyola of Chicago for memories' sake. 

We should have 1 more WCC team (Gonzaga), 3 more MWC teams (Nevada, SD St., New Mexico),  2 more Valley teams (Loyola, IL St.), another Colonial team (Northeastern), 1 OVC team (Murray St.), and 1 more CUSA team (Marshall).

On 8/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, slu72 said:

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

I'm sure the guard spots 1-3 will be pretty interchangeable.  It doesn't really matter on offense and I think Thatch, Wiley, and/or Goodwin could all defend an opposing team's 3.  Most teams don't have small forwards that are much above 6'4".  

I"m in agreement with SShoe.  Ford will have a first wing/guard and a first big lined up in his substitution pattern.  It doesn't matter who he pulls out, the wing or big goes in and roles may also shift.  On the 550 show, Coach reiterated that the team has a lot of interchangeable parts.  Thatch could go in for any starter.

Let's say Isabell comes out.  Ford could put a big in, if the match-up indicates that is what is needed, or a wing/guard.  How do the defensive roles switch.? Maybe we need a bigger defender, or maybe we need a quicker defender.  He may have one lineup for playing man defense and another preferred lineup for zone. 

Get rid of the #'s.  Those are past history.  You won't see a classical 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 team out there.  We have 0 centers listed on our roster, (no 5's).  Ford will play 3 on the outside and 2 inside, with a 4 out 1 in another frequent offensive set. 

Illinois State comes in at 66. Malik is there top returnee. Looking back on Malik at the beginning we thought he could be good. Playing in the helter skelter system of Dead however might have been his undoing. Does make one wonder if playing for Travis might have been a good thing for us. Don't miss him just wondering how he might have fit in and been a help. 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

Illinois State comes in at 66. Malik is there top returnee. Looking back on Malik at the beginning we thought he could be good. Playing in the helter skelter system of Dead however might have been his undoing. Does make one wonder if playing for Travis might have been a good thing for us. Don't miss him just wondering how he might have fit in and been a help. 

Malik has to be the focus of the offense. He would not have been here.