Welcome Thor! Cue the Pitbull

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the school is tweeting those graphics, then both of them have signed and the letters have been received.

This was my best stab at a bio on Gudmundsson:

It has to be Ingvi Gudmundsson; there's no trace of Bragi on the national basketball website. He's two years younger than Jon Axel, who will be a junior, so it stands to reason that Ingvi would be immediately eligible as a freshman in the fall, as JAG was two seasons ago.

His numbers for the U20 national team aren't great, but it's really hard to project international guys based on national team statistics.

He starts for Grindavik in the Domino's (yes, that is really the sponsor of Iceland's top league) League. He averaged 10.9, 3.9, and 3.5 this past season. JAG played for the same team before coming to Davidson, so I'm guessing Ingvi would also be eligible without any issues. JAG averaged 15.0, 8.0, and 5.3 in the league during his last season. Given his production at Davidson thus far, if we're recruiting a second-tier version of Jon Axel Gudmundsson, I'm fine with that.

Ingvi is anywhere from 6-3 to 6-7, from what I can find; his brother is about 6-4, 190. Where I can find his height in cm, he measures from about 199 to 201, so about 6-5+. I'm sure the big range has to do with the last time some of these sources were updated.

His middle name is Thor.

I'm not sure how exactly he projects position-wise on our roster, but maybe we'll have more of an idea after Ford is on the Fast Lane today (4:15 Central). Wouldn't mind a write-up here if someone has a chance to listen.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So if the school is tweeting those graphics, then both of them have signed and the letters have been received.

I'm not sure how exactly he projects position-wise on our roster, but maybe we'll have more of an idea after Ford is on the Fast Lane today (4:15 Central). Wouldn't mind a write-up here if someone has a chance to listen.

Posted this in the wrong thread, but he does not appear to be much of a shooting threat. Here are the stats from his league play over the last couple of years https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Ingvi-Thor-Gudmundsson/Summary/70934 and his stats from the Euro U20 Championship last July http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20/2017/Ingvi-Thor-Gudmundsson

20 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Assuming Welmer can play and Goodwin returns as we all expect, I count 12 scholarships: Goodwin, Welmer, Foreman, Bess, Johnson, French, Santos, Gordon, Thatch, Pierson, Jacobson, and Gudmundsson. Is there a 13th player I have missed?

No - see Stu's tweet

My take on the stats is that the leahue has a wide age range and many players are grown men. In the last 3 years his FGM doubled the 2nd yr and was up 50% the 3rd year.  Now he's good enuf to get a free quality education from his skills.

26 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Ford on 101 next 

I took a few notes during the interview, but more was covered than just this. I didn't have time to take note on every question, but to me, these were the most interesting.

On Thor:
-Ford went to Iceland to scout him and meet his family.
-Thor took a recruiting visit here and signed yesterday.
-Ford never discussed what kind of player he is. The next question went to the recruiting class overall.

On class:
-Ford says it's a very versatile group.
-They will make an impact on this season.
-While versatile, they all bring the ability to shoot.

On French:
-French will play some 4 next year.
-He will be able to take players off the dribble, but they are also working on his jump shot.
-They are working on the mechanics of his free throw shot.

majerus mojo and Pistol like this

2 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Now it's official...

“If he dies, he dies.”

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Love that Stu is committed to being a troll by using “St. Louis University” as much as he can with his tweets. He’s the worst 

16 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Love that Stu is committed to being a troll by using “St. Louis University” as much as he can with his tweets. He’s the worst 

I think you should lighten up on that issue.  He's ingrained to using AP style; the Post isn't going to budge on that.  They want to save the ink.  And in a tweet, abbreviating "Saint" can make a difference towards making sure there are no more than 140 characters.

Perhaps the Post one day will be willing to spell out "Saint" in SLU's name.  I searched for my alma mater, because the Post used to insist on calling UMSL "University of Missouri at St. Louis" when it's supposed to be "University of Missouri-St. Louis"; however, I see that the P-D has actually begun using the latter.  Then again, that saves three spaces and a tiny bit of ink, so they may be more willing to do that than go from "St." to "Saint."

30 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think you should lighten up on that issue.  He's ingrained to using AP style; the Post isn't going to budge on that.  They want to save the ink.  And in a tweet, abbreviating "Saint" can make a difference towards making sure there are no more than 140 characters.

Perhaps the Post one day will be willing to spell out "Saint" in SLU's name.  I searched for my alma mater, because the Post used to insist on calling UMSL "University of Missouri at St. Louis" when it's supposed to be "University of Missouri-St. Louis"; however, I see that the P-D has actually begun using the latter.  Then again, that saves three spaces and a tiny bit of ink, so they may be more willing to do that than go from "St." to "Saint."

That whole St. or Saint thing always just seemed petty to me.  Does it really matter - everybody knows which school they are talking about.

almaman likes this

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I took a few notes during the interview, but more was covered than just this. I didn't have time to take note on every question, but to me, these were the most interesting.

On Thor:
-Ford went to Iceland to scout him and meet his family.
-Thor took a recruiting visit here and signed yesterday.
-Ford never discussed what kind of player he is. The next question went to the recruiting class overall.

On class:
-Ford says it's a very versatile group.
-They will make an impact on this season.
-While versatile, they all bring the ability to shoot.

On French:
-French will play some 4 next year.
-He will be able to take players off the dribble, but they are also working on his jump shot.
-They are working on the mechanics of his free throw shot.

Thank you for the summary of the interview.

Another good day being a Billikens fan.

Lets finish the 2018 / 2019 team with a good grad transfer signing.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Agreed and I think folks should lighten up on Stu in general. 

41 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

That whole St. or Saint thing always just seemed petty to me.  Does it really matter - everybody knows which school they are talking about.

Tweets are like 280 characters now. The “saving of the ink” thing is hilarious (and not what I was commmenting on). 

Stu does the absolute bear minimum and griping about him here every now and then is going to happen. Whoops.

No idea how wanting your school to be referred to by its actual name is petty lol 

48 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

No idea how wanting your school to be referred to by its actual name is petty lol

Petty?!  Let me tell you something about "petty"!  Far too long I've been letting people get by without spelling out "mister"!

signed, Laurence Tureaud (That's "Mister T" to you, fool, unless you want my pity!)

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

Tweets are like 280 characters now. The “saving of the ink” thing is hilarious (and not what I was commmenting on). 

Stu does the absolute bear minimum and griping about him here every now and then is going to happen. Whoops.

Your post - LOL!!!!

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Maybe SLU shouldn’t have been sending one of it’s best known athletes around the world dressed like this is people were going to get worked up about people typing St. Louis. 

JZXYGQDEBITVZUE.20150215204754.jpg