Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

So after everyone transfers out (and the commitments are released from their LOI's), what is the estimated recovery time for the program? 10 years? 

If that happens they may as well end the program, certainly leave D1

10 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

So after everyone transfers out (and the commitments are released from their LOI's), what is the estimated recovery time for the program? 10 years? 

Division 3;    Chaifetz Arena is renamed Pestello Palace;  Even Willie and his sons desert the program;   Coach TF and staff all leave for better jobs;   SLU shutters two dorms which are no longer needed;   A. Hines takes over as the new Head Coach and brings in V-Time as his lead recruiter;  Billikens.com ceases to exist  :(

TFord and TRavs likes this

14 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Just having 10 scholarships to fill would probably be a 4-5 year recovery to being competitive again. 

The problem would be that recruiting would be impossible. “Why do you have 10 scholarships open coach?” At that point you might as well hire vtime as recruiting coordinator to scrape the bottom of the local barrel. That’s when you get into probably a decade plus rebuild to remote competitiveness. But even at that point you’re probably going to be a Fordham level program and have to get extremely lucky with the right coaching hire to have a chance to climb into the top 200. 

Meanwhile you’ve got a hundred million dollar facility sitting there with very little revenue coming in because the season ticket holder base would dwindle to probably 2500-3000. You might have a ticket redemption rate of 50% if you’re lucky. Of course ticket prices would have to fall so the actual revenue would be less. The other sports funded by basketball revenue (every one) would suffer from budget cuts and less Billiken club revenue. Recruiting would probably have to remain within a car ride away for non revenue coaches. So your non revenue sports are going to be even less competitive than they are. 

The snowball would hit conference affiliation. We all know Chris May already screwed the pooch on the Big East thing, a fireable offense for which he never suffered any consequence for. But now you have your revenue generator producing maybe 20% of what it used to. So trips for volleyball and soccer to Massachusetts and New York start looking really expensive as a percentage of budget. So you look for a move downwards for competitiveness and regional ability. The Horizon comes up. Those are most all driveable locations. The MVC is an option as well. I think the MVC would take any condition SLU program, but would they want SLU coming off what would be at that point an entire cycle of damn near single digit win performances? Remember Ford hasn’t had a good year yet and Crews has two terrible years so you’re already at year 4 of crap as we sit now. I’m not sure. The Horizon would obviously take any SLU team possible because it fits nicely with the major metro program feel. 

Hows that for a death spiral? And nothing of that is really that outrageous. 

Spoon-Balls likes this

2 minutes ago, GoBills73 said:

could handle all of this gloom and doom more easily if the players were all guilty. But they're not.

It would be a much easier recovery if they were. You could say “hey we recruited a few guys that were bad apples and it put us in a tough situation” plus if they truly were guilty the remaining players would most likely stick around. 

So, who really is accountable? It has to be Pestello and May. Right? I mean if Pestello is getting advice from May on how to handle this issue, then May is a bigger moron than I thought or he is a bigger wiener than I originally thought. What I mean by that is whomever, assuming it AD, has mapped out the strategy for Fred, has totally made him look like a moron. Now if AD is sitting back and just going for the ride like us, then he's not a leader and should be fighting for the programs life. I don't have any faith that this will end up good at all. Across the board terrible judgement and leadership, or lack thereof. 

Either Travis is a great recruiter or he isn't. I think he is. I can't imagine him losing 90% of the team to transfers.  This season sucks hard because we could've shocked and destroyed the A10 at full strength.  There is just no way Travis lets this fall apart.  It would be career suicide and destroy any chance he had at any sort of legacy.  Grawer went to the highschool level after his team imploded.  Travis will not be the AD at Booger high school in Debuke Iowa when this is all over.  Buck up ya bunch of pansies.  We will get through this

CBFan likes this

Just now, Spoon-Balls said:

I actually wonder if Chris May is replaced assuming the players start to bolt and Ford calls it quits? Seems pretty likely that the Board would decide to completely overhaul the athletics department and start from scratch at that point...

If not getting into the Big East was not a fireable offense and slowly watching entire program melt for ten years overall...I'd think he's in line for another raise at SLU with current leadership.

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I actually wonder if Chris May is replaced assuming the players start to bolt and Ford calls it quits? Seems pretty likely that the Board would decide to completely overhaul the athletics department and start from scratch at that point...

No effing way this happens

I don't see as much gloom in near future as some of you all. I think all suspended guys are gone probably forever except JG if it's only through next year. Bess and Foreman I think will stay. all the above signed on with Ford so he has an attraction for them. If the incoming 3 stay and those 2 that's as good a roster as we've had talent wise, plus recruiting to replace the 3 departing folks; French, Welmer, Gordon, Santos, Foreman, Bess, Thatch, Pearson, JJ. + new recruits. Now if the gloomy happens we might as well have had a plane crash as far as recovery goes. So in a familiar space for us 50/50

TheOne and David King like this

8 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

No effing way this happens

Part of me wouldn’t be surprised if SLU used what happened at Michigan State to triple down on stupid and force both May and Ford out.

May has issues, but he has had no say in how SLU has handled this situation.  He should be taking no blame for it.  

MSU deal has changed the whole ballgame across the board in college athletics. Second time, that we know of a public sexual misconduct situation involving MBB, I don't see how AD survives. Something is way off, whether you like or dislike May and Pestello, something is way off in how the place is operated day to day. 

34 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

So, who really is accountable? It has to be Pestello and May. Right? I mean if Pestello is getting advice from May on how to handle this issue, then May is a bigger moron than I thought or he is a bigger wiener than I originally thought. What I mean by that is whomever, assuming it AD, has mapped out the strategy for Fred, has totally made him look like a moron. Now if AD is sitting back and just going for the ride like us, then he's not a leader and should be fighting for the programs life. I don't have any faith that this will end up good at all. Across the board terrible judgement and leadership, or lack thereof. 

This trainwreck is not being orchestrated by anyone from the athletic department.   May and Ford are innocent and just doing what they are told.  

I think we are just looking at a 2-4 year rebuild. I am not optimistic that Goodwin stays (especially if evidence shows he did very little wrong).  I hope he does. 

Thatch is more important than Gordon right now (in my opinion). We NEED guards now and we are most likely losing at least Roby and Goodwin for next year. Bess is also at risk. We even lose Hines who would certainly have PT next year if he wasn’t graduating. I still don’t see Goodwin taking a year off of school and basketball to stay at an institution that railroaded him and among a student body that has heaved enough threats his way that he has security at his classes and can’t live on campus. He can just go to another school, continue his education, and get a fresh start. In fact, he can probably have a masters when he is done playing if he goes to another school where his academic career will be uninterrupted. Now he may lose this entire semesters academic work which could change things for the masters. If he stays he would possibly lose this semester, this summer, next fall, next spring, and next summers semesters. That is a lot of academic progress to put on hold. It is in effect 5 semesters including this one  He would have to return and work his tail off just to get an undergraduate degree from SLU  

Either way, things are not that bad long term. We just NEED guards and a bunch of them. Ford also needs winning seasons to help his recruiting. This year looks like it might be losing season #3 for him. As that number rises it gets tougher and tougher to attract top talent. I think Ford has been a great coach. 

No way Chris May leaves. We should be on the road to recovery right as his contract extension is running out. The timing might work really well for him. 

In the final analysis it all comes down to Goodwin. If he stays we will be ok...if not, I don't see it.  I want to be optimistic but how can we with the current administration in charge?  If by some miracle there is a good outcome, most of the credit should go to those on this board who fought back.  This board has more than its share of bickering but its unity in fighting this travesty has been admirable.