GDT. No mercy on Detroit

CBFan

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the focus on our poor shooting alone?  All we needed to do was play good, solid, team defense over the last 6 minutes and we win this home game... and we didn't.  We let their guys shoot wide open 3 pointers.  Where was our perimeter defense?  We let them get multiple shots.  We let them control the game and tempo (especially in the second half) and our defense just let them do what they wanted to do.  Our team last night, even without the Situation 2 guys, had more talent than most former Billiken teams.  We need team defense more than anything.  Rebound and shut down their perimeter game is what we need to do each game -- and we didn't.  We let Detroit feel quite comfortable -- and that needs to change.

Spoonhour teams never lost close games like last night.  Spoon's teams were mentally tough and knew how to close out games.  And as bad a Hines is/was last night, Goodwin dribble the ball off his foot and French had a turnover as well.  Freshmen will be freshmen -- I am OK with that, but the defensive intensity needs to be increased.

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Why the focus on our poor shooting alone?  All we needed to do was play good, solid, team defense over the last 6 minutes and we win this home game... and we didn't.  We let their guys shoot wide open 3 pointers.  Where was our perimeter defense?  We let them get multiple shots.  We let them control the game and tempo (especially in the second half) and our defense just let them do what they wanted to do.  Our team last night, even without the Situation 2 guys, had more talent than most former Billiken teams.  We need team defense more than anything.  Rebound and shut down their perimeter game is what we need to do each game -- and we didn't.  We let Detroit feel quite comfortable -- and that needs to change.

Spoonhour teams never lost close games like last night.  Spoon's teams were mentally tough and knew how to close out games.  And as bad a Hines is/was last night, Goodwin dribble the ball off his foot and French had a turnover as well.  Freshmen will be freshmen -- I am OK with that, but the defensive intensity needs to be increased.

Don't disagree at all with what you say but clearly fatigue is an issue with such a limited bench.

3 hours ago, Billboy1 said:

Anyone remember the Santa Clare loss during RM era and what happened that year.

We've had one or two total stink bombs on just about every NCAA quality team but this loss had better be it given the weakness of our schedule and the A10. The real problem is we've had stink bombs in many other seasons that turn into predictors of what the team really is...mediocre or bad.

p.s. the Santa Clara loss was technically during the Jim Crews era as he had just taken over the team from RM. The RM stink-bomb losses from the year before included a couple of road games at teams like Loyola Maramount and a then terrible Rhode Island team.  

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

We've had one or two total stink bombs on just about every NCAA quality team but this loss had better be it given the weakness of our schedule and the A10. The real problem is we've had stink bombs in many other seasons that turn into predictors of what the team really is...mediocre or bad.

p.s. the Santa Clara loss was technically during the Jim Crews era as he had just taken over the team from RM. The RM stink-bomb losses from the year before included a couple of road games at teams like Loyola Maramount and a then terrible Rhode Island team.  

Getting way ahead of myself, but assuming we get our full team together and they play well enough to put us on the bubble, I wonder if the committee would take into account the depleted game day roster against Detroit? Regardless, the players we had available should have smoked Detroit.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Getting way ahead of myself, but assuming we get our full team together and they play well enough to put us on the bubble, I wonder if the committee would take into account the depleted game day roster against Detroit? Regardless, the players we had available should have smoked Detroit.

I see two paths to the tournament given how poorly the teams in our league are playing right now.  Win the conference regular season and make it at least to the conference semifinals or finish in the top 2 and make it at least to the conference finals.  The max the committee will take from our league is two.  Depending on how the conference tournament plays out, it might only be one.

Detroit takes no mercy on Siena Heights, crushing the Saints, 131-69, shooting both 60 per cent from three and total. 131 points is impressive against anybody. I'm thinking they're going to have a solid season this year.

36 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Detroit takes no mercy on Siena Heights, crushing the Saints, 131-69, shooting both 60 per cent from three and total. 131 points is impressive against anybody. I'm thinking they're going to have a solid season this year.

That tiny school they clobbered is NAIA. D-M edged us on a night when we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and played hardly any defense. They may do fine in the Horizon League but I don't think we can count on them to prop up our RPI.

4 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Even with Det M's  "impressive??" win over the Bills , they remain a D team. There is no way to sugar coat it...we lost to a bad team.

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Detroit is #4 in Kenpom's "luck" rating. Basically means they are doing a lot better then they were last year and was unexpected

Titans need to get on the stick. Down 39-34 to Ft. Wayne at the half.