Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a link to an article to a game I watched on TV in 1967. https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2017/12/post_49.html

The player in question, Doug Grayson, played for Kent State. He scored 41 points in a 107-83 loss to UNC and set the all-time NCAA record for made consecutive field goals in a single game with 16 straight, which still stands. He made his first 16 attempts, was 18-19 from the floor and 5-5 from the stripe. He received a standing ovation from the UNC crowd and was all we could talk about at school the next day.

One unusual thing about this game being on TV was it was shown on the public TV station based in Chapel Hill and was broadcast without announcers, what they called "Broadvision." UNC used to broadcast some non-conference games like this back in those days, and used students in the Radio, TV, and Motion Picture program to produce the games. We had to listen to the radio broadcast which in those days didn't have a lag between what was heard and what was seen on TV.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Without Verge we may have no longer been a 20 point record holder 

I considered this when I looked at the stats, but there are a number of reasons why that wouldn't have happened:

• This game was a blowout (40 point St. Mary's win) and would have likely been an even bigger blowout without Verge.  St. Mary's pretty clearly "let up" on D in the 2nd half only winning it by 8 points and allowing 37 2nd half points.  That ill-fated GW game was relatively close (29 point GW win, up 18 at half), so GW kept playing hard on D until the end because the score was sort of close and their coach was an kind of an .
  • This game was played at a much faster pace (71 on KemPom) than the GW game (53 on KenPom).  More possessions = more chances to score even if your offense sucks.
  • This is a corollary of the 2nd point.  His teammates shot just 5 of 35 (14.3%) and scored only 13 points.  However, if you take Verge's 29 shots and multiply them by 14.3% (this likely would have been higher if they took more garbage time shots - see next point) you get an extra 4 made baskets.  Even if none of those shots were 3s and his teammates shot no FTs (Verge himself was 6-6 from the line), you'd get 8 extra points from the 4 extra made baskets.  13 + 8 = 21 just beating our record.  SLU shot 14.6% from the field during that 20 point game, so you can see that in a faster paced game even 14.3% shooting is going to top it.
  • Verge scored most of his points in garbage time and he was just the one who took most of the shots during that time.  He didn't take any shots in the 1st 4:45 seconds of the game during which his teammates went 2 - 10 from the field (those are the only 2 FGs his teammates made in the 1st half).  St. Mary's was only up 9-7 when Verge made that 1st shot, but it went quickly downhill for AZ State (20 - 0 St. Mary's run).  During that run, Verge's teammates went 0-7 from the floor and Verge had several turnovers.  Verge made his 2nd FG attempt to end the run, but all it did was cut the lead to 20.  Reading between the lines - Verge scored 41 of his 43 points when St. Mary's had a 20+ point lead.  Verge made the rest of the teams FGs during the 1st half.  His teammates chipped in a FT, but went 0-6.  If I'm gleaning from the play-by-play correctly teammates were 2/23 in the 1st half and 3/12 in the 2nd half.  Verge was 6/11 in the 1st half and 12/18 in the 2nd half.
  • I didn't watch, but I'm guessing Verge was just scoring street ball baskets against a lackadaisical defense being played by end of the bench guys and walk-ons.  Majerus never allowed SLU to go street ball on offense.  He was making our guys run his offense (that they didn't really know - this was his 1st year) until the bitter end. 

I've written about it before because it fascinates me in a self immolation kind of way (how TF does a team with Lisch and Liddell only score 20!), but that 20 point game is a record that is highly unlikely to ever be broken.  All of the circumstances that it took to get there are extremely unlikely to be replicated.  

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

which helps bring us up to #62.  Still a long way to go season-wise, but I think mid 40s is sorta the fringe for the tournament. 

Agree that mid-40's is the target.  But we also have no Q1 or Q2 wins to date.  We have a handful of opportunities to correct that.  We won't get into the 40's without Q1/2 wins. 

KSU, right now at 122, will be a neutral court Q3 game for us.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:13 AM, HoosierPal said:

Agree that mid-40's is the target.  But we also have no Q1 or Q2 wins to date.  We have a handful of opportunities to correct that.  We won't get into the 40's without Q1/2 wins. 

KSU, right now at 122, will be a neutral court Q3 game for us.

Stu’s article today said that this is technically going to be a road for the Bills and a home game for K-State.

Something about K-State handling game operations.

So that’s a nice little bonus.

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Stu’s article today said that this is technically going to be a road for the Bills and a home game for K-State.

Something about K-State handling game operations.

So that’s a nice little bonus.

-hope they are prepared to help Rachel before, during or after

-let;s get a win and a healthy baby (Jordan can be a boy or a girl......)

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

What an awful basketball game. Just brutal basketball.

source.gif

I remember when that game was must watch regardless of your feelings for either team. 
Prime time event with Dickie V. Hyped the entire week leading up to it. One of the hardest tickets to get each year.

Now I don’t even realize it’s on until it’s over. 
The bragging rights game jumped the shark 15 years ago.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

source.gif

I remember when that game was must watch regardless of your feelings for either team. 
Prime time event with Dickie V. Hyped the entire week leading up to it. One of the hardest tickets to get each year.

Now I don’t even realize it’s on until it’s over. 
The bragging rights game jumped the shark 15 years ago.

I honestly forgot it was today until I saw the score watching another game earlier