Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, courtside said:

Florida A&M had a record of 0-72 over the past twenty years against major conference teams. Tonight they visited Iowa St.

Florida A&M 70 Iowa St. 68 Final

This will help their 284 NCAA Net Ranking and 324 Ken Pomeroy Ranking.

wow

The Ekker Era was the final straw of eight or so bad years of SLU basketball .....and my Billiken foundation.  In the mid- to late-70's, the NCAA was on the cusp of what it is today.  Expansion of March Madness.  Schools finding out how many dollars were there to be had.  The Big East was founded in 1979 for example.  Good ol' SLU followed up Randy Albecht with Ron Coleman and then Ron Ekker and missed the boat easily accepted by Nova, Seton Hall, Georgetown and other schools of like culture. 

Albrecht went 32 and 47, Coleman 7 and 20, and Ekker 37 - 71.  Coleman was coach at Vashon and brought with him consensus top high school phenom Johnnie Parker.  Coleman lasted one year; Parker one year and maybe 9 games.  Ekker was also named AD and made the infamous move to rename the dance team "The Billie Lou Strutters."  He also got the team placed on NCAA probation for illegal summer practices.  Plus banging the cheerleader.  He did have two of the greatest players in my time .... David Burns and Kelvin Henderson.  He lived on JUCO transfers ---- and we all know how well that plays out at SLU.

After much debate to down grade, the school hired Rich Grawer who essentially saved the program.  But after 10 years, Grawer walked away defeated due to SLU's inability to really understand what college basketball was becoming.  Charlie Spoonhour took over from SW Missouri State and had two glorious years in the mid- to late-90s.  He too then got tired of SLU's penny-pinching ways.  Plus Spoon wasn't the greatest in dedicated recruiting. We got Larry Hughes on a prayer (and sicklittle brother). Lorenzo Romar and Brad Soderberg were then non-descript until Doc Chaifetz stepped in with Rick Majerus and the building of the Arena.  And we all know about death and [dead].  

In my mind, SLU too long played with the idea of being a college team ala Nova, the Hall, Georgetown, DePaul, and Xavier.  They were way too content to play at Kiel and Savvis just like the others did at the Spectrum, the Meadowlands, the Cap Center, Rosemont and the Cinti Gardens.  But they didn't invest as Chaifetz has done.  Recruits came into West Pine and took off.  Would you want to live there?  I blame this on Biondi and his control of the Board of Trustees.  They long ignored the benefits and needs of recruits for modern facilities.  Ditto all sports.  Soccer played in Festus.  Baseball practiced at Carondolet Park and our winter facility was a batting cage on the fourth floor of the old warehouse at Grand and Laclede.  Biondi built ponds and statues and the sports world passed us by.  We are still recovering today.

f05 long laments our lack of game day "enthusiasm" and while he is likely correct, the problem to me lies in my generation's foundation of piss poor productions.  And the generations produced between 1975 and 2008.  That's 33 years of six NIT appearances and six (four trips) NCAA games.  Saint Louis University is where it is today given many bad decisions made over these last 33 or so years.  SLU was one Jayson Tatum signature away from another bad decision there with [dead].  Tatum signs with [dead] and we are likely in some unknown coach's rebuilding project once again.  For that unsignature alone, Tatum may be one of my all-time favorite NON-Billikens.

We have only started to build when it was realized that to make money, you need to spend money.  I am afraid if we lose Doc Chaifetz, we are screwed again.

Bills71 likes this

In another strange twist that won’t help the Bills rankings, SIUE - who had a single win against a DI opponent, a 2 point victory over Incarnate Word who is currently ranked 350th of 353 DI teams - beat Belmont in Nashville yesterday by 10. The Cougars’ leading scorer? Zeke Moore. 

Definitely some epic games...there is upset (a 2 letter difference)...a major upset (3 letter difference) and then epic ...something that happens once every few years.  Belmont  (B+ team) loses to SIU e (F- )....Ia St U (A) loses to FAMU (F- )....The 2 F- teams move up to F....and the 2 losers drop a notch to A- and B....I had ISU by 33 pts....and Belmont by 20....The spread was so wide on the FAMU game that the computers or those running them became confused....Yahoo had ISU by 105 pts..too bad you couldn't have bet the farm on that one.

In another loss which was not an upset but bad for the A-10   RI (B ) lost to Brown (C- )....I had RI by 6.

Again to put it into perspective , the FAMU & SIU e wins are worse than a 16th seed beating a 1 seed in that the 16th seed is better than  an F- team.

Interesting games.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

A surprisingly mediocre North Carolina team is losing by 20 to a 6-7 Georgia Tech squad at home.

LOL at Carolina, losing to worthless Ga. Tech by 13 at home. Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell!!

billiken_roy and almaman like this

Norfolk State defeats Bethune-Cookman by 13. Jermaine Bishop scores 17 for the victorious Spartans. In other games, FGCU, Valpo, EWU, Belmont, S. Illinois, Tulane, and Auburn win. K-State and High Point lose.

If you get a chance, watch the dunk show highlights of Ga. Tech putting it on UNC in their 27-4 run to start the game. I take back the "worthless" comment about them. Strong looking unit, at least today.

Our opponent in next year's MWC - A10 challenge, San Diego State, passed their toughest remaining test last night, beating a good Utah State team on the road in Logan.  SDState will be favored in their remaining 14 games, so they have a solid chance at running the regular season table.  The Aztecs have 4 Q1 wins, so their lofty position in the polls is justified.