• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, 73Billiken said:

Apparently my guy and a webster great Johnnie Parker, is tied to that list

17 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

That’s the same Johnnie Parker? I wonder what Blossom thinks about that?

I don’t see any Oklahoma state or Travis Ford connections ?

Yep it's from back when he did "community relations" for USC. 

54 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I still don’t understand why the FBI cares about agents giving money to players.  That isn’t a violation of any federal law I know. 

-I am neither a lawyer or in law enforcement but my guess is not reporting the income so they have tax consequences 

42 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I am neither a lawyer or in law enforcement but my guess is not reporting the income so they have tax consequences 

That would mean the a target of the investigation would be the players and their families.  I have seen no indication of that.  The FBI is going to face some serious backlash if they bring charges against a bunch of poor black kids and their families.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That would mean the a target of the investigation would be the players and their families.  I have seen no indication of that.  The FBI is going to face some serious backlash if they bring charges against a bunch of poor black kids and their families.

IF you can prove the schools had something to do with it that’s the issue since 99.99 of schools receive federal funds 

9 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

IF you can prove the schools had something to do with it that’s the issue since 99.99 of schools receive federal funds 

The coaches got in trouble in the first round of the indictments because they were employees of public institutions.  That law doesn't apply to private colleges even if they receive federal funds.  It, also, doesn't apply to the players or their families.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/666

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Very true and you are talking about a system where everyone is getting rich except the players, so you are going to bust them for taking a few thousand bucks and not claiming it when some of these kids listed are only in college because they can't go professional straight from high school. That would be such a waste of time. We all know this crap is going on, but the NCAA is not incentivized to actually go after their top programs and players. And these coaches are smart, so good luck catching most of the $s being exchanged. 

The whole system is a joke, I just hope everyone acknowledges that as we find a better system moving forward. Big time college football and college basketball is a minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. Let's just be comfortable with that fact. Shockingly, kids from the worst school systems in the country who spend the majority of their time in a gym or on a field are not going to be productive students at the top academic institutions in the country (schools many of us would never get into). So let's just acknowledge what it is and find a system that puts these programs on a relatively even playing field because it is dumb to have everyone trying to figure out how to cheat to keep up. I am all for eliminating the tie between academics and athletics when it comes to college football and basketball and treating as a true minor league. We don't need the FBI involved with proving what every college hoops and football fan already knows. I kind of question the point of selectively punishing when they are likely just scratching the surface. Any time these scandals come up I just laugh at Majerus getting in trouble for picking up the tab when meeting with players during a meal.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Any time these scandals come up I just laugh at Majerus getting in trouble for picking up the tab when meeting with players during a meal.

I believe the story goes that Majerus got in trouble for picking up the tab when he took Keith Van Horn out to dinner after his father died.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Very true and you are talking about a system where everyone is getting rich except the players, so you are going to bust them for taking a few thousand bucks and not claiming it when some of these kids listed are only in college because they can't go professional straight from high school. That would be such a waste of time. We all know this crap is going on, but the NCAA is not incentivized to actually go after their top programs and players. And these coaches are smart, so good luck catching most of the $s being exchanged. 

The whole system is a joke, I just hope everyone acknowledges that as we find a better system moving forward. Big time college football and college basketball is a minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. Let's just be comfortable with that fact. Shockingly, kids from the worst school systems in the country who spend the majority of their time in a gym or on a field are not going to be productive students at the top academic institutions in the country (schools many of us would never get into). So let's just acknowledge what it is and find a system that puts these programs on a relatively even playing field because it is dumb to have everyone trying to figure out how to cheat to keep up. I am all for eliminating the tie between academics and athletics when it comes to college football and basketball and treating as a true minor league. We don't need the FBI involved with proving what every college hoops and football fan already knows. I kind of question the point of selectively punishing when they are likely just scratching the surface. Any time these scandals come up I just laugh at Majerus getting in trouble for picking up the tab when meeting with players during a meal.

The fix is not to continue to allow the NBA and NFL to use college sports as its minor leagues.  That is what caused the problem.  The fix is to force the NFL and NBA to create minor league and stop forcing kids who don't belong in college into college to pursue their dreams.  If an 18 year old wants to make it in the NBA or NFL, but isn't college material academically, or if he just wants to cash in, he shouldn't be forced to go to college for a few years.  Instead, he should be allowed to be drafted out of high school, given a signing bonus, and, if he's not yet ready for the top level, sent to a minor league or a developmental league.

SLU_Lax, ACE and billiken_roy like this

25 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The fix is not to continue to allow the NBA and NFL to use college sports as its minor leagues.  That is what caused the problem.  The fix is to force the NFL and NBA to create minor league and stop forcing kids who don't belong in college into college to pursue their dreams.  If an 18 year old wants to make it in the NBA or NFL, but isn't college material academically, or if he just wants to cash in, he shouldn't be forced to go to college for a few years.  Instead, he should be allowed to be drafted out of high school, given a signing bonus, and, if he's not yet ready for the top level, sent to a minor league or a developmental league.

That would certainly make sense. I assume the reason this isn’t the case is due to the popularity of college football and basketball? Why spend $ on something that is already working for us (for everyone but the players)? I don’t care if it continues as is for the most part (the age requirements need to go away), but just be real when having the discussion about what changes need to be made.

I do like that idea though, good thought. I would change my original post, but will just leave it alone and say I concede to this.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

ive long been an advocate of this mindset.   personally i dont care about policing the ncaa for anything EXCEPT academics.   if some idiot car dealer or business man or shoe company wants to pay a kid, whatever (the ncaa has never done more than scratch the surface of policing this anyway.), so throw 100% of your police work into monitoring academics.  that kid will qualify out of high school.   that kid will pass his classes each semester like any other student at the school and that kid will be on pace to graduate with a real degree.   my guessis that if the ncaa indeed took the hardline approach to academics the dipshites that screw it up now wouldnt even be in college and the sport would be free of all the nonsense.   

for those that think that it will dilute the play, i dont think that the college sports fan necessarily prioritizes skill as the main reason they are watching.   if they did, they would all be nba fans first and foremost as there is no basketball better skilled than the nba.   they watch for the belief there is an aspect that has yet to be corrupted, for the fun of watching a team mature together and grow over years and the team having to maintain or better themselves.  they watch for the name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back.   so let the hotshots go as Cgeldmacher says.   imo the college game only gets better because you would achieve a landscape where the players truly are playing first and foremost for the love of the game and for the benefit of their team.    

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

imo the college game only gets better because you would achieve a landscape where the players truly are playing first and foremost for the love of the game and for the benefit of their team.    

Perhaps, but I still think the drive to play for pay (next level) would still be the main goal of most/many players.

6 hours ago, cheeseman said:

So we can not get you Capone on murder but we get him on tax evasion. Sounds like Manafort and Gates also. Why would you not pay  your taxes 

Turbo Tax Timmy Geithner (sic) must have went to UNC. 

-reading this morning on CBS, SI, NBC, ESPN the same basic article (almost like they got together to write the same thing) where they want a massive change in college sports, if all of those forces, plus the big schools, are on the same side, how will it not happen? and how can this be a good thing for SLU?