Worst team since?

11 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Billiken Roy nailed it long ago, Crews recruited D2 level players...JGOOD's jersey next year needs an emblem that states "Certified Billiken Roy Recruit (20,000 posts)"

And by D2, you mean NAIA Division 2, correct? Let's be real here. Central Missouri, a D2 power, would have taken a flyer on Crews' recruits. #GoMules

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the previous coach who shall not be named will produce 3 of the 10 worst teams in Billiken history. That's really, really difficult to do with the resources he had. Even coaches like Soderberg, who didn't have the new arena and recent NCAA tournaments, didn't manage that.

I am so blessed, having lived through Albrecht, Coleman, Ekker, Grawer and now he-who's-name-means-Ca-Ca.  As a freshman in 1975-76, I went to nary a game.  Trucking down to Kiel was hard despite the constant Fireline shuttles.  I just didn't care and was occupied with chippy-chasing.  Got hooked the next year, and in there Albrecht had Lew McKinney and Carl Johnson who were one of the top 20 all-time SLU scorers in history at one time.  And he had freshman phenom Johnnie Parker, Sr. in the fold.  By then, I knew enough of the guys that supporting them became a decent thing to do.   Little did I know the maddening addiction I was developing.

Coleman was one-and-done but the thought was he was brought in given his coaching of Parker at St. Louis Central High School in the old city public league. But Johnnie "stoned" out after six games his sophomore year  and Ron was shown the door.   Enter Ekker.

Ekker gave us arguably SLU's most exciting tandem in David Burns and Kelvin Henderson.  His records were never good but we accepted that because well, this was the Metro Conference and we could never compete with Louisville, Cincinnati or Memphis.  NCAA basketball had really begun to burst in the late 70's especially with Magic and Bird going at it and we as a school, for whatever reason, failed to see it and capitalize on some of the very issues you guys talk about here today.  No tradition.  No on-campus arena.  No atmosphere.  No push for a piece of the funding/reward pie.  And frankly we seem to have an "attitude" that pushed PHL guys away from the snotty Jesuits down on Grand Boulevard.  Then came the NCAA probation (summer coaching sessions), infamous punch out of the coach, the cheerleader boffing scandal, and the apparent attempt to move to Division II status with Ekker now coach and athletic director.  Which was brewing just as we were eliminating our NCAA hockey program.  While the off-court swirl was amazing and downright depressing, the product on the court included some decent players in Burns, Henderson, Singletary, Everne Carr, Willie Becton and Bobby Mueller.  Ekker almost killed the program and set the stage where Grawer could go nowhere but up.  Or die trying.

Sure Grawer struggled for his first three years, opening with the infamous 5 and 23 (which he later closed at).  There is a great picture somewhere of Rich on the sidelines, holding up fingers --- two on one hand and three on the other --- calling a play.  My buddy always says that picture was taken when Grawer was asked the question "how many you going to win this year."  It's funny.  The ride through Gray-Douglass and Bonner was spectacular -- but we never went to the Dance because Louisville, Memphis and Cincinnati were replaced now with Oral Roberts, Loyola and the longest evil empire -- Xavier.  But Grawer got the local talent until the late, great, long-discussed Craig Upchurch fiasco seemed to sap him of everything.  He had a great class of Winfield, Claggs, Hmark and Bickel but the dunderheads on that last 5 and 23 team killed him. McGolther Irvin and Big Chill Melvin Robinson. He was spent and I remember as Debbie Yow fired him; the only saving grace was she had Spoon lined up.

Charlie was a great guy and great game coach but he did nothing for the program in the long run outside of finally make the NCAAs -- and while he did that mostly with Grawer's recruits he did add SLU's greatest point guard (H Waldman) and unsung, undersized heavyweights Donnie Dobbs and David Robinson to the mix.  He lucked out on Hughes which added Baniak, Tatum, Heinrich and Redden, but I am not sure that feather is solo in Charlie's cap.  Outside of those three NCAA runs, his record was middle-of-the-road ... but light years better talent-wise then what we have today.

Lorenoz Romar had the Miracle; Brad Soderbrg was easy continuity.  They had guys (Love, Perry, Jeffers, Lisch, Liddeel, Voyoukous) who eclipsed the talent level on the current roster by miles despite middle road records as well.

Majerus you al know and you all now see the path of destruction left on the trail of ca-ca. 

I believe roy, Bay Area, and I along with a few others who lived this trek, have already been through the valley of death where you all are now.  This is the fire, this is the melting pot where true Billiekns fans are formed and bound.  This is where you earn the badge "It's tough to be a Billiken fan."  The major difference you guys have is you've been to the promised land, you lived for quite a few years on the mountaintop.  Welcome to the dregs.  I've seen more years like the current one and know recovery is possible.  I also like to think that with Ford in place, recovery will happen much sooner then it did when a guy like Grawer tread lightly near the cliff of downsizing. 

The talent level we are looking at for anything right now are the freshmen.  What do you see in those three going forward as they fight to be role players next year?  The rest is giving Mike and Reggie a supportive send off.  Bishop?  Frankly with Goodwin and Graves, he's already been recruited over IMHO.  To surpass the futility mark of SLU's time in "modern college basketball" and eclipse the pitful five win mark posted by Grawer, you have to go back all the way to 1940-41.  Lets cheer them on NOT to do that.

32 minutes ago, HenryB said:

This is rich, following the Purple Aces' blue-in-the-face loss to Bradley. A perfect time for Jimmy Crews night at the old arena. Marty Simmons' sweatin' to the oldies night to follow.

38 minutes ago, HenryB said:

I wonder how West Side Night went.  If any of those punks from the East Side showed up, I'm sure there was trouble.

47 minutes ago, HenryB said:

As hilarious as it would be to go there and yell at him about Jordan Goodwin like Frank Costanza did to George Steinbrenner about Jay Buhner, hard pass.

7 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I wonder how West Side Night went.  If any of those punks from the East Side showed up, I'm sure there was trouble.

I thought it was a sharks vs. jets thing. Platt falling in love with Maria, Maria's brother killing Crews, Platt killing Maria's brother and eventually Chino killing Platt.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I thought it was a sharks vs. jets thing. Platt falling in love with Maria, Maria's brother killing Crews, Platt killing Maria's brother and eventually Chino killing Platt.

This is brilliant. I'm gonna be snapping my damn fingers all day thanks to you.

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I am so blessed, having lived through Albrecht, Coleman, Ekker, Grawer and now he-who's-name-means-Ca-Ca.  As a freshman in 1975-76, I went to nary a game.  Trucking down to Kiel was hard despite the constant Fireline shuttles.  I just didn't care and was occupied with chippy-chasing.  Got hooked the next year, and in there Albrecht had Lew McKinney and Carl Johnson who were one of the top 20 all-time SLU scorers in history at one time.  And he had freshman phenom Johnnie Parker, Sr. in the fold.  By then, I knew enough of the guys that supporting them became a decent thing to do.   Little did I know the maddening addiction I was developing.

Coleman was one-and-done but the thought was he was brought in given his coaching of Parker at St. Louis Central High School in the old city public league. But Johnnie "stoned" out after six games his sophomore year  and Ron was shown the door.   Enter Ekker.

Ekker gave us arguably SLU's most exciting tandem in David Burns and Kelvin Henderson.  His records were never good but we accepted that because well, this was the Metro Conference and we could never compete with Louisville, Cincinnati or Memphis.  NCAA basketball had really begun to burst in the late 70's especially with Magic and Bird going at it and we as a school, for whatever reason, failed to see it and capitalize on some of the very issues you guys talk about here today.  No tradition.  No on-campus arena.  No atmosphere.  No push for a piece of the funding/reward pie.  And frankly we seem to have an "attitude" that pushed PHL guys away from the snotty Jesuits down on Grand Boulevard.  Then came the NCAA probation (summer coaching sessions), infamous punch out of the coach, the cheerleader boffing scandal, and the apparent attempt to move to Division II status with Ekker now coach and athletic director.  Which was brewing just as we were eliminating our NCAA hockey program.  While the off-court swirl was amazing and downright depressing, the product on the court included some decent players in Burns, Henderson, Singletary, Everne Carr, Willie Becton and Bobby Mueller.  Ekker almost killed the program and set the stage where Grawer could go nowhere but up.  Or die trying.

Sure Grawer struggled for his first three years, opening with the infamous 5 and 23 (which he later closed at).  There is a great picture somewhere of Rich on the sidelines, holding up fingers --- two on one hand and three on the other --- calling a play.  My buddy always says that picture was taken when Grawer was asked the question "how many you going to win this year."  It's funny.  The ride through Gray-Douglass and Bonner was spectacular -- but we never went to the Dance because Louisville, Memphis and Cincinnati were replaced now with Oral Roberts, Loyola and the longest evil empire -- Xavier.  But Grawer got the local talent until the late, great, long-discussed Craig Upchurch fiasco seemed to sap him of everything.  He had a great class of Winfield, Claggs, Hmark and Bickel but the dunderheads on that last 5 and 23 team killed him. McGolther Irvin and Big Chill Melvin Robinson. He was spent and I remember as Debbie Yow fired him; the only saving grace was she had Spoon lined up.

Charlie was a great guy and great game coach but he did nothing for the program in the long run outside of finally make the NCAAs -- and while he did that mostly with Grawer's recruits he did add SLU's greatest point guard (H Waldman) and unsung, undersized heavyweights Donnie Dobbs and David Robinson to the mix.  He lucked out on Hughes which added Baniak, Tatum, Heinrich and Redden, but I am not sure that feather is solo in Charlie's cap.  Outside of those three NCAA runs, his record was middle-of-the-road ... but light years better talent-wise then what we have today.

Lorenoz Romar had the Miracle; Brad Soderbrg was easy continuity.  They had guys (Love, Perry, Jeffers, Lisch, Liddeel, Voyoukous) who eclipsed the talent level on the current roster by miles despite middle road records as well.

Majerus you al know and you all now see the path of destruction left on the trail of ca-ca. 

I believe roy, Bay Area, and I along with a few others who lived this trek, have already been through the valley of death where you all are now.  This is the fire, this is the melting pot where true Billiekns fans are formed and bound.  This is where you earn the badge "It's tough to be a Billiken fan."  The major difference you guys have is you've been to the promised land, you lived for quite a few years on the mountaintop.  Welcome to the dregs.  I've seen more years like the current one and know recovery is possible.  I also like to think that with Ford in place, recovery will happen much sooner then it did when a guy like Grawer tread lightly near the cliff of downsizing. 

The talent level we are looking at for anything right now are the freshmen.  What do you see in those three going forward as they fight to be role players next year?  The rest is giving Mike and Reggie a supportive send off.  Bishop?  Frankly with Goodwin and Graves, he's already been recruited over IMHO.  To surpass the futility mark of SLU's time in "modern college basketball" and eclipse the pitful five win mark posted by Grawer, you have to go back all the way to 1940-41.  Lets cheer them on NOT to do that.

Wow, Taj. I was going to tell you what an amazing, accurate and well-written piece of sportswriting this was, but then you left a name off of the Trekkies, so FU. ;)

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Excellent post, Taj.  I especially enjoyed your summary of the Albrecht-Coleman days when I was still 137 miles up river at QND in Quincy.  We did get some info re the Billikens.  I was aware of Lewis McKinney, and about the major recruiting scores that brought Johnny Parker and Ricky Frazier to SLU.  When I visited SLU as a high school Senior in the Spring of 1978, SLU housed me on 5 Clemens, with Ricky Frazier right across the hall.

When I was at SLU, there was a school of thought that SLU should have hired Rich Grawer right out of DeSmet at the time SLU hired Ekker.  Ekker, a coaching free agent last at West Texas State, lobbied hard for the SLU job.  The thinking was had SLU hired Grawer in 1978, Mark Dressler would have come to SLU, and possibly Steve Stipanovich a year later.

In the Spring of 1982, there was real concern that SLU was going to drop out of D-1.  I attended the press conference at Busch Center in which it was announced that SLU was staying in D-1, but changing conferences, from the Metro to the then Midwestern City (now Horizon League).  I was relieved SLU was staying in D-1.

In the Spring of 1985, my last year at SLU Law, I was having lunch at Humphrey's.  Seated at the window was Coach Rich Grawer and his Assistant Coach, Ed Stewart.  Grawer said Monroe Douglass and Roland Gray were coming to SLU.  That was the turning point, the end of the Dark Ages of Billiken Basketball.  Grawer was the Savior of Billiken Basketball.  His program was derailed by the Craig Upchurch fiasco.

4 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Excellent post, Taj.  I especially enjoyed your summary of the Albrecht-Coleman days when I was still 137 miles up river at QND in Quincy.  We did get some info re the Billikens.  I was aware of Lewis McKinney, and about the major recruiting scores that brought Johnny Parker and Ricky Frazier to SLU.  When I visited SLU as a high school Senior in the Spring of 1978, SLU housed me on 5 Clemens, with Ricky Frazier right across the hall.

When I was at SLU, there was a school of thought that SLU should have hired Rich Grawer right out of DeSmet at the time SLU hired Ekker.  Ekker, a coaching free agent last at West Texas State, lobbied hard for the SLU job.  The thinking was had SLU hired Grawer in 1978, Mark Dressler would have come to SLU, and possibly Steve Stipanovich a year later.

In the Spring of 1982, there was real concern that SLU was going to drop out of D-1.  I attended the press conference at Busch Center in which it was announced that SLU was staying in D-1, but changing conferences, from the Metro to the then Midwestern City (now Horizon League).  I was relieved SLU was staying in D-1.

In the Spring of 1985, my last year at SLU Law, I was having lunch at Humphrey's.  Seated at the window was Coach Rich Grawer and his Assistant Coach, Ed Stewart.  Grawer said Monroe Douglass and Roland Gray were coming to SLU.  That was the turning point, the end of the Dark Ages of Billiken Basketball.  Grawer was the Savior of Billiken Basketball.  His program was derailed by the Craig Upchurch fiasco.

I didn't know Grawer came from DeSmet. Interesting -- seems like that was a hot trend in the 80s; taking successful high school coaches (i.e. Gerry Faust) and making them college coaches. Looks like where Grawer galvanized the Bills back to prominence, Faust faltered in moving from Cincinnati Moeller to Notre Dame.

Love these little historical anecdotes, guys! Keep them coming!

The SLU fans who were around then know that Rich Grawer saved Billiken basketball.  It would certainly be great (and very appropriate) for Rich to be recognized more prominently than he has.  I know there were bitter feelings when he was fired but that was a long time ago.  I for one will always be thankful for Coach Grawer.  The atmosphere at the old Kiel auditorium was unbelievable - still by far the best basketball environment i have ever experienced.  I especially remember those games with Xavier and Evansville.  His emphasis on local recruiting was a big part of the atmosphere.  That is one of the reasons I am so excited about Ford's inroads with local kids.  If you run into Rich, please let him know he is not forgotten.

6 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Great post, those valleys make the mountain top so sweet.

My avatar is Dwayne Evans with the piece of net he cut off after winning the A10 tournament, my sweet mountain top moment.

I like what you said about giving the seniors a supportive send off.

I have been very disappointed with the play of Reggie and Mike and have not been supportive but I will do my best to be supportive.

2 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

I didn't know Grawer came from DeSmet. Interesting -- seems like that was a hot trend in the 80s; taking successful high school coaches (i.e. Gerry Faust) and making them college coaches. Looks like where Grawer galvanized the Bills back to prominence, Faust faltered in moving from Cincinnati Moeller to Notre Dame.

Love these little historical anecdotes, guys! Keep them coming!

Grawer was a very successful coach at DeSmet in the 70s and early 80s. I don't have any first hand knowledge of it because it was before I was born, but I've heard that DeSmet games when Steve Stipanovich (McD's AA, Mizzou star, and NBA player) went there were a huge draw. Grawer left DeSmet to become an assistant at Mizzou for 1 year before he took the SLU job.

Other tidbits: Steve Stipanovich is the father of Sadie Stipanovich, star player on the SLU women's team, and Ryan, who is committed to Bradley. Also, Frank Cusumano was a guard on those great DeSmet teams in the late 70s.

8 hours ago, HenryB said:

But hey, think of all the life lessons JC taught us.  You know,  about worshiping false idols and wait....oops brain fart. ..who are we talking about? 

Oh yeah, MBMs are not to be trusted when it comes to evaluating talent.  That's something I learned from Jimmy C.  On the other hand, it is hard to predict failure so abject. 

Edited by billslasttermdropout
Recollective and reflective addendums

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Great post, those valleys make the mountain top so sweet.

My avatar is Dwayne Evans with the piece of net he cut off after winning the A10 tournament, my sweet mountain top moment.

I like what you said about giving the seniors a supportive send off.

I have been very disappointed with the play of Reggie and Mike and have not been supportive but I will do my best to be supportive.

The mountain top is sweet regardless of the valleys.

The valley of Uncle Brad was nothing like this. This is a disaster. Even Soderbergs glaring, obnoxious, and humiliating misses like Obi Ikeakor and Horace Dixon had more talent than these Crewsplatt recruits.

24 minutes ago, Soderball said:

The mountain top is sweet regardless of the valleys.

The valley of Uncle Brad was nothing like this. This is a disaster. Even Soderbergs glaring, obnoxious, and humiliating misses like Obi Ikeakor and Horace Dixon had more talent than these Crewsplatt recruits.

Soderberg was a good coach and for the most part a decent talent evaluator and recruiter. He just always seemed to make one or two bad judgement calls when it came to recruiting(ie not knowing when a ship had sailed or he'd take a flyer on a kid and get burned.)