What would Majerus do?

papal

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Any coach could have gotten us to the tourney with that group.

-I am not a Crews supporter at this point, but I disagree, another coach might have changed to their system which those players wouldn't have known

-perhaps that was part of the deal WHEN MAY PICKED CREWS as the head coach, don't change the system until these kids are out of here

1. My recollection was that when Majerus picked Crews, RM said that he was the best X's and O's guy he knew. If that was the case, something changed. Don't see the evidence of good planning for the games by JC, especially if the recent (short lived) improvement came from assistants rather than from the HC.

2. My best recollection of RM was him standing on the sidelines, hands on knees, watching the game unfold before him. In his eyes, I believe he was looking at plays written on his napkins, watching how we played the defense and moved the offense. At EVERY time out/free throw, he was calling over players and TEACHING, reinforcing what he was preaching in practice. Repetition, repetition til they got it right. You could see from his body language, he was talking about positioning on the floor, strategy, etc. It wasn't any different if we were losing or winning...always teaching, always improving.

Don't see any teaching or reinforcing, see pulling for mistakes, tightness instead of letting the game come to them.

3. Don't think the talent is as bad as it seems after a 30+ point loss. How these guys respond on Sat will be the key. Was Dayton the outlier, or have they truly given up on this coach, or have other teams figured out how to defense a one big, four guard offense?

mhg

i am not sure this is entirely true. Rickma succeeded not because he brought in top players as much as rickma brought in a lot of players and gave them their one year tryout then creamed the ones that could fit his idea of his players and moved the others out and repeated the process year after year. but he ran more players through the billikens the first few seasons than probably any billiken coach in my lifetime. this allowed him to find that roster that was so successful the first two years crews was the coach. had he played with what he brought in, instead of churning his roster, i doubt we would have been in the position we were 4 seasons ago.

Wasn't it Jordair Jett who got Justin Jordan's spot?

If you want to make an omelet...

My best recollection of RM was him standing on the sidelines, hands on knees, watching the game unfold before him. In his eyes, I believe he was looking at plays written on his napkins, watching how we played the defense and moved the offense. At EVERY time out/free throw, he was calling over players and TEACHING, reinforcing what he was preaching in practice. Repetition, repetition til they got it right. You could see from his body language, he was talking about positioning on the floor, strategy, etc. It wasn't any different if we were losing or winning...always teaching, always improving.

You're gonna make me cry with this ...

In Columbus, I had some OSU friends who had seats right behind our bench for the MSU game. We went to a bar after the game and these guys were all gushing about what a genius Rick was in directing the Billikens on the court. Yelling out what to watch for and where to be. They said Harriman made all the rotation moves, and that watching Majerus was like watching a symphony conductor.

-Sep 26, 2009 Crews fired at Army

-Oct 11, 2011 Jensen goes to D League

-Oct 19, 2011 Crews hired by Majerus, Majerus quoted in article

-Aug 24, 2012 Majerus takes leave of absence, Crews named interim, Majerus not quoted in article

What is overlooked here is the fact that Crews "was available" in the 8 days between these events. Most college programs are about to jump into full-scale practices on or about October 15. That was the traditional start referred to by most as "Midnight Madness." Every coach out there that is gainfully employed is really gainfully employed in this window. Majerus' lament was not only losing Jensen, but WHEN he lost Jensen. He was "lucky" (as I recall) to have such a great X and O man out there in Crews. But why was Crews available? He had been fired at Army allegedly for abusing a cadet. While I don't care about what the allegations say, I do find it telling that he sat on the sidelines for over two years before Majerus brought him in. And if I recall the article, Majerus had to engage in some amount of begging to get him to come. Come on down, we'll have some fun. We'll eat some good food. One year was all that was asked. And please correct me if memory has failed me.

Then, less than a year later, Majerus is sick and 99 days later, dead and gone.

I think the real question is why was Crews idle for over two years? I don't profess to know but part of me believes if he did apply or interview for openings, folks just said "thanks but no thanks." He was not a hot commodity and the fact that he was idle after two college basketball hiring cycles seems to suggest some truth to that thought frame. Do I think Majerus was absolutely lucky at the time. You bet. The rest, unfortunately, is just the course of history. I thought Crews was better than Whitesell. I thought May's hands were tied given what Crews did with Majerus' team. The delay in end of season to actual signing was blamed on Biondi being in Asia. Was there dissent in the decision to hire Crews? Don't know. Doesn't matter. History is history.

I don't know that Majerus hand-picked Crews as the ultimate successor but he did handpick him in the Jensen emergency situation. I doubt it but do not have inside info to go one way or the other.

Supposedly, Crews and Majerus were friends from the time they coached a USA team. It seemed like a "not what you know but who you know" kind of hire. The two year absence by Crews may have been due to the alleged abuse incident at Army, ie schools saying we're not touching a Bobby Knight disciple with a 10' pole. Then again, it may well have been due to his poor record at Army and just so so job at Evansville.

As I understood it, Crews was going back to retirement after the 12 season. It all sounded like he was doing Rick a favor by becoming an AC for that one season, but he was going to return to his home, sell insurance, and play some golf or go fishing. Then he comes back as interim HC. I seem to recall it was Rick's recommendation, but have never heard or read where he insisted on it.

In hindsight what should have been going on that summer was that May and Majerus should have been looking around for a capable AC that could handle the interim job. I recall reading rumors all that summer that his health was failing, and it would have been prudent on his part and May's to start thinking about a succession plan. Especially, since it didn't appear likely he wanted to stay after his 6 year deal was over. If I have one gripe w/ Majerus' tenure at SLU it was he didn't seem to have a guy in place after Porter left, unless it was Harriman, who probably wasn't ready for a HC post.

Had Porter stuck around we would have had a much smoother transition and most likely had recruiting classes that were ready to step up when all of Rick's boys were gone. I think we might have been able to keep Porter had May and Majerus committed to him he was next in line. Porter probably knew as well as anyone that the most Rick had left in his tank was to fulfill his term and then it was hasta la vista time. We probably should have matched the Loyola offer and given him the assurance of being the HC in waiting.

By far, RM has been the best Coach at SLU that I have witnessed. And, course, I would love to have RM back patrolling the sidelines. With that said, Spoonhour would be the man I would choose (again if I could) for an instant turnaround. The guys loved to play for him and he did so well folding in new faces each year. Spoon didn't care if they have 1 year left or 4 years, if they were a transfer, JUCO, high school or college kid or not. In fact, Spoon used more transfers and JUCO's, by far, than any coach I can recall. Spoon paid attention to detail, demanded detail but was not a purist or perfectionist like RM. Spoon just took the best available guys, coached them up and turned them into winners during whatever time they had left. In that regard, I would much prefer to watch and see what Spoon could and would do with our existing Sophomore class. Even Brad would do a great job rehabilitating our Sophomore and Freshman class. But RM? No, he would cut many of them and/or re-direct his time/resources towards younger kids - many now still in high school. Slowly but deliberately RM built a masterpiece which only he could envision. To that end, RM was averse to transfers, JUCO's and guys with baggage and less time left.

Roy is correct. RM did make alot of mistakes but fixed his mistakes by creaming the roster. But recall, not all guys were coached up by RM to the the best of their individual ability. TL3 may have had the most raw talent on the team (debatable between Lisch and hiim) and yet he was a just another player under RM's system, with bad habits, a somewhat closed mind and limited time left. Guys adjusted to RM's plan or they did not play much and/or were shown the door.

In hindsight what should have been going on that summer was that May and Majerus should have been looking around for a capable AC that could handle the interim job. I recall reading rumors all that summer that his health was failing, and it would have been prudent on his part and May's to start thinking about a succession plan. Especially, since it didn't appear likely he wanted to stay after his 6 year deal was over. If I have one gripe w/ Majerus' tenure at SLU it was he didn't seem to have a guy in place after Porter left, unless it was Harriman, who probably wasn't ready for a HC post.

Had Porter stuck around we would have had a much smoother transition and most likely had recruiting classes that were ready to step up when all of Rick's boys were gone. I think we might have been able to keep Porter had May and Majerus committed to him he was next in line. Porter probably knew as well as anyone that the most Rick had left in his tank was to fulfill his term and then it was hasta la vista time. We probably should have matched the Loyola offer and given him the assurance of being the HC in waiting.

A couple things here:

I don't know if Harriman was ready to run a program at the time, but remember that he left to go to Nebraska for a higher salary after what turned out to be Majerus' last season. I don't know what the difference was, but if there was knowledge within SLU that Majerus wouldn't be around much longer, maybe you bump up his salary to keep him at SLU.

I suppose the same could be applied to Porter, with a coach in waiting title.

There is one issue with all of this. Majerus had a bad experience at Marquette when he was promoted from assistant to head coach when Hank Raymonds retired. As a result, he said he didn't like such arrangements where the assistant takes over. If SLU offered such an arrangement to Moser or Harriman, Majerus might have spoken out against it.

I don't know if Majerus recommended Crews to be the interim, but given his own bad experience, is it possible Crews' seeming lack of desire to coach beyond 1 year was a positive for in Majerus' eyes?

A couple things here:

I don't know if Harriman was ready to run a program at the time, but remember that he left to go to Nebraska for a higher salary after what turned out to be Majerus' last season. I don't know what the difference was, but if there was knowledge within SLU that Majerus wouldn't be around much longer, maybe you bump up his salary to keep him at SLU.

I suppose the same could be applied to Porter, with a coach in waiting title.

There is one issue with all of this. Majerus had a bad experience at Marquette when he was promoted from assistant to head coach when Hank Raymonds retired. As a result, he said he didn't like such arrangements where the assistant takes over. If SLU offered such an arrangement to Moser or Harriman, Majerus might have spoken out against it.

I don't know if Majerus recommended Crews to be the interim, but given his own bad experience, is it possible Crews' seeming lack of desire to coach beyond 1 year was a positive for in Majerus' eyes?

I would NOT have wanted Harriman, Moser or Whitesell just like I did not want Crews. Harriman had no prior basketball experience in the USA, had not been a head coach, was still quite young and just did not have much experience to bring to the table. Yes, he learned under RM but he did not learn under other coaches at other programs. Now, after several years at Nebraska, Harriman at least has sufficient experience in the USA and with 2 prior D-1 programs. Whitesell, Moser and Crews were prior D1 head coaches who failed and who did not have much success prior to failing/getting fired. If you cannot win at Chicago Loyola (Whitesell) or Illinois State (Moser), or the Army (Crews), then why should we consider them for SLU? Aren't we trying for a Top 50 program?

RM was a genius. He filled his assistant coaching jobs with guys who were overqualified in many areas but who were proven deficient in others. A perfect strategy for a hands-on perfectionist like RM but not a recipe for promotions from within. Had Crews not been on staff and us needing an interim coach, would Crews have even been on a "short list" of 50 candidates after his firing from Army? I suggest not.

By far, RM has been the best Coach at SLU that I have witnessed. And, course, I would love to have RM back patrolling the sidelines. With that said, Spoonhour would be the man I would choose (again if I could) for an instant turnaround. The guys loved to play for him and he did so well folding in new faces each year. Spoon didn't care if they have 1 year left or 4 years, if they were a transfer, JUCO, high school or college kid or not. In fact, Spoon used more transfers and JUCO's, by far, than any coach I can recall. Spoon paid attention to detail, demanded detail but was not a purist or perfectionist like RM. Spoon just took the best available guys, coached them up and turned them into winners during whatever time they had left. In that regard, I would much prefer to watch and see what Spoon could and would do with our existing Sophomore class. Even Brad would do a great job rehabilitating our Sophomore and Freshman class. But RM? No, he would cut many of them and/or re-direct his time/resources towards younger kids - many now still in high school. Slowly but deliberately RM built a masterpiece which only he could envision. To that end, RM was averse to transfers, JUCO's and guys with baggage and less time left.

Roy is correct. RM did make alot of mistakes but fixed his mistakes by creaming the roster. But recall, not all guys were coached up by RM to the the best of their individual ability. TL3 may have had the most raw talent on the team (debatable between Lisch and hiim) and yet he was a just another player under RM's system, with bad habits, a somewhat closed mind and limited time left. Guys adjusted to RM's plan or they did not play much and/or were shown the door.

I just want to point out that Majerus did bring in Jake Barnett and Austin McBroom as transfers.

Would we take a look at Harriman now, he is currently in his 1st year as an associate head coach at New Mexico and salary is at $150k per season - 4 years removed from SLU.

What happened to the Nebraska job? Supposedly he was lured away from SLU by tripling his salary to $270,000 per year.

What happened to the Nebraska job? Supposedly he was lured away from SLU by tripling his salary to $270,000 per year.

Nebraska went 13-18 last year. Harriman was the last of 3 asst coaches to leave... He went with his long time Head Coach friend Craig Neal. NM has had some Aussie & NZ players in the past. Maybe they are trying to open that pipeline again.

For the 13-14 season his reported salary at Nebraska was $206,000. The his current salary for New Mexico is what was reported to their online database, who knows if it includes bonuses.

I just want to point out that Majerus did bring in Jake Barnett and Austin McBroom as transfers.

Yes. Both played only one (1) year of college ball and transferred here with a red shirt year followed by 3 full seasons -- a long time to learn and produce under RM's system.