What would Majerus do?

papal

I was trying to imagine how Majeus would handle this team. First, most of them would not have been recruited. If they were, he would have made the most of their talent(ala Danny Brown) or they would no longer be here. He also would have made in-game adjustments that may have helped. JIm Crews would have been great for scounting. Our defense would be vastly improved to make up for our deficiencies inside. But what past is past. The future does not look promising. Hopefully we can all be patient. I am not sure we could even beat Mizzou.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to imagine how Majeus would handle this team. First, most of them would not have been recruited. If they were, he would have made the most of their talent(ala Danny Brown) or they would no longer be here. He also would have made in-game adjustments that may have helped. JIm Crews would have been great for scounting. Our defense would be vastly improved to make up for our deficiencies inside. But what past is past. The future does not look promising. Hopefully we can all be patient. I am not sure we could even beat Mizzou.

i am not sure this is entirely true. Rickma succeeded not because he brought in top players as much as rickma brought in a lot of players and gave them their one year tryout then creamed the ones that could fit his idea of his players and moved the others out and repeated the process year after year. but he ran more players through the billikens the first few seasons than probably any billiken coach in my lifetime. this allowed him to find that roster that was so successful the first two years crews was the coach. had he played with what he brought in, instead of churning his roster, i doubt we would have been in the position we were 4 seasons ago.

I don't disagree. I do think Rick brought in more talent and recognized how that talent would fit into his system. If they didn't fit, he helped make arrangements for them to play somewhere else that would be more appropriate for their skill level. I am not sure what he could have done with our current players except maximize whatever skills they may have.

What Would Jesus Do? WWJD? No one knows and no one will ever know what he would have done. Probably coached them or not have recruited them in the first place.

That's easy. If he were coach this year, he would be RickMa's immediate successor. And as such, he simply would have turned the other cheek.

What would Quin Snyder do? Probably lots of lines of coke.

Love the silly comment

Majerus would #FireJimCrews.

Jesys would also #FireJimCrews.

Let's #FireJimCrews

#FireJimCrews

Majerus gave us crews and insisted he be the coach to take over while he was sick.

Majerus gave us crews and insisted he be the coach to take over while he was sick.

-where is this "insistence" documented? I don't recall seeing or hearing a quote from Rick that JCrews take the reigns or TT or anyone alluding to this succession plan being Rick's idea

-Jensen left early in the school year, we needed an assistant coach and Rick called Crews, more than that I believe to be guess/assumption

-where is this "insistence" documented? I don't recall seeing or hearing a quote from Rick that JCrews take the reigns or TT or anyone alluding to this succession plan being Rick's idea

-Jensen left early in the school year, we needed an assistant coach and Rick called Crews, more than that I believe to be guess/assumption

I believe it was when Crews received a title promotion over Whitesell. Sure wish Majerus would have promoted Whitesell instead.

+1 Also a big difference between wanting somebody to be "an interim" coach (which went very well) and hiring a permanent coach - that is the call of the AD & school Prez, not the previous coach.

-coaching timeline from articles on SLUBilliikens.com archive section

-Oct 11, 2011 Jensen goes to D League

-Oct 19, 2011 Crews hired by Majerus, Majerus quoted in article

-June 30, 2012 Whitesell elevated to associate head coach, Majerus quoted in article

-Aug 24, 2012 Majerus takes leave of absence, Crews named interim, Majerus not quoted in article

-that doesn't look like an insistence or hand picking to me

-June 30, 2012 Whitesell elevated to associate head coach, Majerus quoted in article

-Aug 24, 2012 Majerus takes leave of absence, Crews named interim, Majerus not quoted in article

Good timeline. Taking Ace's post I'd also add the date that Majerus dies and the date that Crews is named permanent head coach.

If RM was the coach you'd all think differently about the talent level of the players on this team

-Dec 1, 2012 Majerus dies, RIP Coach

-Apr 12, 2013 Crews named head coach

-updated