Neufeld?

slufan13

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did we ever find out why Jolly played in the first place Saturday night? Neufeld hurt? sick? bad grades? This team is going nowhere so if you're going to play a big guy, I'd choose Neufeld and get him as many reps as possible.

Maybe Neufeld is looking to transfer.

Guess I could have done some research...

4. Freshman center Matt Neufeld did not play against the Sycamores, making it the first game he has sat. Asked after the game if there was a reason, Crews said, "No problem. Nope. None." Neufeld has averaged 10.6 minutes.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/crews-on-jolly-incident-we-deal-with-it-and-move/article_2eec67e9-b0d0-546d-aa95-ce317356f6d0.html

Guess I could have done some research...

4. Freshman center Matt Neufeld did not play against the Sycamores, making it the first game he has sat. Asked after the game if there was a reason, Crews said, "No problem. Nope. None." Neufeld has averaged 10.6 minutes.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/crews-on-jolly-incident-we-deal-with-it-and-move/article_2eec67e9-b0d0-546d-aa95-ce317356f6d0.html

If that's not a prototype Jim Crews answer...

• 3 weeks later...

You well may be right but I'm not sure what you have seen to come to that conclusion.

I like some of the limited minutes we saw in the FIBA tournament. He is still pretty raw, but I think in that tournament he moved well for his size. I still remember how awful Ian looked as a freshman. He needs someone that has a history of coaching big men up. We have not had anyone on the staff with that kind of history since Whitesell left.

Bigs take longer to develop. In programs with more talent than we have, guys like Neufeld are supposed to learn in practice and from watching on the bench for the first season and a half. Lately, we have overexposed our freshmen bigs and killed their confidence. I hope Neufeld stays on the more traditional path, and we see the benefits in a few years.

If you expect to see much of a freshman center during league play you don't watch much college basketball. Gillman and Jolly only got the minutes they did last year because the Billikens had no other options with Manning hurt.

If you expect to see much of a freshman center during league play you don't watch much college basketball. Gillman and Jolly only got the minutes they did last year because the Billikens had no other options with Manning hurt.

Agreed. Many people have way too high expectations of young centers. Unless they are McD All Americans or top rated kids, most contributions will come Junior and Senior year.

Reed and Loe both started as freshmen. Easy to get spoiled after that.

Rob Loe struggled as a freshman and sophomore improved as a junior and was a fully developed center his senior year, it just takes time. Willie Reed showed so much as a freshman and sophomore always makes me think what could have been if he played for SLU all four years.

Yes. Both out of default. And neither were that good either as freshmen.

That's BOOTY, son. Reed shot 56% and put up 8 and 5 with well over a block per game his freshman year. And DUNKZ. Don't try and make Jolly seem less pathetic by misremembering Willie's talent.

I'd take Willie's talent and character over Jolly's every day of the gotdamn week. Snobviously.

That's BOOTY, son. Reed shot 56% and put up 8 and 5 with well over a block per game his freshman year. And DUNKZ. Don't try and make Jolly seem less pathetic by misremembering Willie's talent.

I'd take Willie's talent and character over Jolly's every day of the gotdamn week. Snobviously.

Jimbo. Only you are comparing Reed to Jolly. Of course I would take Reed over Jolly. At the same time, most freshman bigs are just not effective in good league play. And yes, WR could and did dunk the ball but that does not mean he was great as a freshman. Like the others, WR played because we were the youngest team in the NCAA having had terrible prior recruiting and then having RM release our other bigs. Remember Knollmeyer, etc.

And while we are at it, RL was one of my all-time favorites and became a great 5 for us -- but he played the minutes he did as a freshman because of the Situation and WR's inability to be a college student.

Continue your trashing of Jolly on the other threads. Instead, I see real potential from Neufeld. At the same time, I see zero coaching of him or our bigs -- and therefore am not surprised he is struggling under this regime.

Is it just me or are we always waiting for our bigs to "develop?' I will agree that Robe Loe developed. Ian Voyoukous was who he was when he came in and when he left. I would offer that he never really "developed" or he would have been selected in the NBA draft.

Names? Husak. Manning. Braun. Heinrich. Baniak. Pedersen. Barentine. Johnson. Mueller. And there is probably more. Now add Gillmann, Jolly, Agbeko and Neufeld. Seems like we (SLU) are always waiting for the "big man bus" to pull up to our curb.

Ian improved greatly while he was here. Ian was flat out awful as a freshman. He may not have been drafted, but he developed big time. He was a first team all-conference player. Heck, he was the starting center on a Euroleague championship team. He is the starting center on another Euroleague contender this season.

Rob Loe struggled as a freshman and sophomore improved as a junior and was a fully developed center his senior year, it just takes time. Willie Reed showed so much as a freshman and sophomore always makes me think what could have been if he played for SLU all four years.

If Loe struggled as a freshman and sophomore then I'm not quite sure how I'd describe what our current bugs are doing...