#FireJimCrews

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll brown bag it at the opener then take the rest of the year off

Better yet brown bag the second to last home game - not senior night that is unfair to the kids and then go read my post in the "Season ticket holder assessment" thread for the next course of action if the school does not respond by firing Crews.

Well written. If May responds please share.

Chris May's response,

Dear Mr. Hedderich,

Thank you for your email. I apologize for the delay in responding.

First, thank you for your long time support of the Billikens. It takes loyal community support to build a program, and support like yours is important.

Our Billikens have struggled on the court this season. Everyone is disappointed with the season. At this point, the best thing we can do is support this team and staff to help right the ship. I believe they deserve that support. This staff did a great job with the program during a very challenging time which resulted in 2 A-10 regular season championships, one tournament championship, and advancing in the NCAA tournament.

Please know that we will do everything in our power to deliver a program that competes for championships again. It is important to our program, department, and University.

Thank you again for your email. All the best to you for a healthy and prosperous 2016!

Regards-Chris

I appreciate that Chris May responded to the e-mail I am sure his in box is full with upset fans.

I would agree with giving coach Crews more time because of the A10 championships but the team is not competitive and especially troubling is not competitive at home with weak teams on their schedule.

Letters/emails to May help, but sending them to guys like Chaifetz would do a lot of good as well.

And to the local sports media. The downfall of this program is the most underreported story in St. Louis sports by a long shot. Pressure needs to come from all sides.

Let's also not forget Pestello and other administrators, board members, et al. If you know any of them even a little, send a message.

Keep the hashtag going on Twitter, too.

Chris May's response,

Dear Mr. Hedderich,

Thank you for your email. I apologize for the delay in responding.

First, thank you for your long time support of the Billikens. It takes loyal community support to build a program, and support like yours is important.

Our Billikens have struggled on the court this season. Everyone is disappointed with the season. At this point, the best thing we can do is support this team and staff to help right the ship. I believe they deserve that support. This staff did a great job with the program during a very challenging time which resulted in 2 A-10 regular season championships, one tournament championship, and advancing in the NCAA tournament.

Please know that we will do everything in our power to deliver a program that competes for championships again. It is important to our program, department, and University.

Thank you again for your email. All the best to you for a healthy and prosperous 2016!

Regards-Chris

I appreciate that Chris May responded to the e-mail I am sure his in box is full with upset fans.

I would agree with giving coach Crews more time because of the A10 championships but the team is not competitive and especially troubling is not competitive at home with weak teams on their schedule.

Copy and paste response. Exact same as others have received.

-I agree good on CMay for responding even if in a form letter

-I hope these two sentences are not telling us nothing will be done in 11 weeks....I believe they deserve that support. This staff did a great job with the program during a very challenging time which resulted in 2 A-10 regular season championships, one tournament championship, and advancing in the NCAA tournament.

-I hope these two sentences are not telling us nothing will be done in 11 weeks....I believe they deserve that support. This staff did a great job with the program during a very challenging time which resulted in 2 A-10 regular season championships, one tournament championship, and advancing in the NCAA tournament.

It's the classic vote of confidence. The only thing he can say at this point. I take nothing from it either way.

I wouldn't read this as saying Crews is staying. The next paragraph down talks about athletics being important to the university, and that they'll do everything in their power to return to the level of competing for championships again.

I feel silly for analyzing the words in a form letter, but "doing everything in their power" doesn't sound like keeping the status quo.

I wouldn't read anything into that letter. It's classic AD talk not all that differently then him saying he wants to strengthen the A-10 while trying to get us into the Big East behind the scenes. Unlike that situation, SLU controls it's fate here and I have little doubt the right decision will be made at the end of the season.

I wouldn't read anything into that letter. It's classic AD talk not all that differently then him saying he wants to strengthen the A-10 while trying to get us into the Big East behind the scenes. Unlike that situation, SLU controls it's fate here and I have little doubt the right decision will be made at the end of the season.

But I suspect SLU will spin the whole situation to appear gracious. That is, Coach Crews will "retire."

Agree with you and I'm fine if this is how they want to spin it. As long as it happens.

I want to add that I like Jim Crews. I really do, with all sincerity. I'm sure he's forgotten more about basketball than I'll ever know. (The problem being that he's forgotten!) He's a classy guy who develops character. But as fans we need a balance of character and on-court performance, and if we can have the balance skewed towards one or the other, we'd rather have more performance and not as much character. Save the morality for lower levels. (However, I draw the line at cheating. Don't bring in anyone who'll cheat. Also, I'd prefer not to have a team full of low-character guys -- who'll get into fights and abuse women, etc. [insert ACE obligatory "SPUMAC" barb here.])

I want to add that I like Jim Crews. I really do, with all sincerity. I'm sure he's forgotten more about basketball than I'll ever know. (The problem being that he's forgotten!) He's a classy guy who develops character. But as fans we need a balance of character and on-court performance, and if we can have the balance skewed towards one or the other, we'd rather have more performance and not as much character. Save the morality for lower levels. (However, I draw the line at cheating. Don't bring in anyone who'll cheat. Also, I'd prefer not to have a team full of low-character guys -- who'll get into fights and abuse women, etc. [insert ACE obligatory "SPUMAC" barb here.])

You've been trained well and finally see the light ;) Happy New Year!

What are you basing this on? To me, he seems like an old-school coach with a surly character who can't connect with his players on any level. He can't develop them from a basketball standpoint, let alone a character standpoint. He comes across as cold and distant from a media standpoint. And he was fired from West Point for being too abusive. Nothing about him comes across as either "classy" or able to develop character in anyone.

What are you basing this on? To me, he seems like an old-school coach with a surly character who can't connect with his players on any level. He can't develop them from a basketball standpoint, let alone a character standpoint. He comes across as cold and distant from a media standpoint. And he was fired from West Point for being too abusive. Nothing about him comes across as either "classy" or able to develop character in anyone.

This. Crews is just an old bastard, through and through. Majerus' was crude and developed exceptional character, because he only recruited those who had already displayed it. And he could coach. That's the difference.