#FireJimCrews

Crean's record at Indiana is an absolute joke. Missing the tournament at a program like that is a terrible year, barely making it is a bad year. So 1 very good year, 1 good year, 1 bad year, and 4 terrible years. 4 NCAA tournament wins in 7 years at a school that recruits itself. If he can barely make the sweet 16 at Indiana, what's he going to do at SLU? Why would a program like SLU want to hire someone who failed at a much bigger program? I'd like to see Crean here, as an assistant on Bryce Drew's staff.

Just want to make sure I cast my vote against Tom Crean.

His entire career is staked on the fact that in 2003 he rode Dwyane Wade to the Final 4.

In 16 years at Marquette and Indiana he has made the NCAA tournament 8 times...and only twice - both in 2003 when he had an all-time great carrying his team - has Tom Crean won an NCAA tournament game against a better seeded team...while 4 times his teams have failed to live up to their seed.

2002: 5-seed lost to 12-seed Tulsa 71-69

2003: 3-seed defeated 14-seed Holy Cross 72-68, 6-seed Mizzou 101-92, 2-seed Pitt 77-74, 1-seed Kentucky 83-69, lost to 2-seed Kansas 94-61

2006: 7-seed lost to 10-seed Alabama 90-85

2007: 8-seed lost to 9-seed Michigan St 61-49

2008: 6-seed defeated 11-seed Kentucky 74-66, lost to 3-seed Stanford 82-81

2012: 4-seed defeated 13-seed New Mexico St 79-66, 12-seed VCU 63-61, lost to 1-seed Kentucky 102-90

2013: 1-seed defeated 16-seed James Madison 83-62, 9-seed Temple 58-52, lost to 4-seed Syracuse 61-50

2015: 10-seed lost to 7-seed Wichita St 81-76

If you ignore 2003, he has just 5 NCAA tournament wins in 15 seasons all against teams seeded 9 or worse (9, 11, 12, 13, and 16).

In the conference tournaments Crean is just 9-16 with zero automatic bids.

This is precisely the type of coach we should be trying to AVOID.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. He's missed the tourney half the time at programs bigger than SLU. What is he going to do here?

Romar might be even worse. He's missed the tourney 4 straight years, looking like this will be the 5th straight year. The team that got blown out at Chaifetz had 3 future NBA first round picks (Ross, Wroten, Wilcox). His team got blown out at home by Oakland yesterday. He is an outstanding man off the court, but on the court it's a disaster right now.

If you want someone who can recruit but can't coach one bit, Crean, Romar, and Pastner look like good candidates.

Just want to make sure I cast my vote against Tom Crean.

His entire career is staked on the fact that in 2003 he rode Dwyane Wade to the Final 4.

In 16 years at Marquette and Indiana he has made the NCAA tournament 8 times...and only twice - both in 2003 when he had an all-time great carrying his team - has Tom Crean won an NCAA tournament game against a better seeded team...while 4 times his teams have failed to live up to their seed.

2002: 5-seed lost to 12-seed Tulsa 71-69

2003: 3-seed defeated 14-seed Holy Cross 72-68, 6-seed Mizzou 101-92, 2-seed Pitt 77-74, 1-seed Kentucky 83-69, lost to 2-seed Kansas 94-61

2006: 7-seed lost to 10-seed Alabama 90-85

2007: 8-seed lost to 9-seed Michigan St 61-49

2008: 6-seed defeated 11-seed Kentucky 74-66, lost to 3-seed Stanford 82-81

2012: 4-seed defeated 13-seed New Mexico St 79-66, 12-seed VCU 63-61, lost to 1-seed Kentucky 102-90

2013: 1-seed defeated 16-seed James Madison 83-62, 9-seed Temple 58-52, lost to 4-seed Syracuse 61-50

2015: 10-seed lost to 7-seed Wichita St 81-76

If you ignore 2003, he has just 5 NCAA tournament wins in 15 seasons all against teams seeded 9 or worse (9, 11, 12, 13, and 16).

In the conference tournaments Crean is just 9-16 with zero automatic bids.

This is precisely the type of coach we should be trying to AVOID.

Crean is also a complete .

It's not surprising his teams underperform in March; he overworks them in the preseason and early season.

I would be surprised if Crews was gone after this season. SLU is known to be okay with mediocrity and the status quo.

Mediocre is 18 wins with this schedule. We will be lucky to get double digits at this pace. Absent a monster turnaround on the court i'd be stunned if crews coaches this team next year.

I feel that Majerus simply brought Crews in as a type of "whip cracking" guy for practices and drills, but nothing more than that. He was never meant to be a successor or a head coach, but it just happened (unfortunately).

Crews is more like the character "Shooter" (played by Dennis Hopper)in the film classic "Hoosiers'. He has a distantly past legitimacy that he dwells on, and Gene Hackman/Majerus, brings him in as a last resort. He's also somewhat of a charity case. But, Hackman/Majerus is able to milk a little bit of usefulness out of him for a short while. In the long run, though, Shooter/Crews turns out to be unreliable and unfit for the job.

I kind of wish Crews would have just gone ahead and punched Jolly Saturday night. 1) It would have sped up Crews' departure 2) Jolly deserved it... I'm only half kidding :ph34r: Jolly might be the first Billiken I have found myself almost rooting against. If he were just a poor player, I'd still be rooting for him... there have been plenty of bad SLU players over the years I have rooted for. But the kid's actions and on-court demeanor, combined with his lack of talent is a terrible combination. His constant whining at the refs, putting his head down every time things get tough, the constant trash talk. He may be a nice kid off the court, but his actions on the court are brutal. Some have mistakenly labeled him a hard working, gym rate type, because... well, that's what he looks like he should be. If he didn't look like a nice clean cut suburban kid, I suspect some on here would be quick to label him a "punk" or a "thug." I got scolded by DocB for subtly suggesting that Jolly should probably transfer after last season. I was wrong for doing that... I SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHOUTING THAT JOLLY NEEDS TO GO. His antics Saturday were the final straw for me. Play MN, or a small lineup. ABJ - Anybody But Jolly. Merry Christmas everybody!!!

Ace, if I scolded you for that -- and evidently I did, you have a sharp memory of it! -- I retract. In the past I've tried to get people on here to rein it in some, when attacking the kids on the team -- they are just students, I mean. But as I mentioned in the other thread -- I am amazed at my own apathy at present, and, well -- I guess I'm just not in a very ho ho ho mood right now, re: the Bills.

As a former Hoosier that incident between Crews and Jolly gave me the creeps a bit -- & brought back some old memories myself. Coaches losing it in anger, I mean.

And if you really need further depression: I just find it hard to believe that the present regime would actually fire Crews and find a new hire. As much as people on here are calling for that -- does anyone really believe that would happen, under present leadership?? I don't .... but maybe I'm the only one finding that implausible...

Some have mistakenly labeled him a hard working, gym rat type, because... well, that's what he looks like he should be. If he didn't look like a nice clean cut suburban kid, I suspect some on hear would be quick to label him a "punk" or a "thug."

This is a very valid point. It's realizations like this that cause introspection from time to time. Conscioulsly, I am definitely not a racist, but cognitively, Jolly's looks lead me to think of him in less pejorative terms than I would a black guy doing the same sh.it.

So... sorry black dudes. I now recognize Jolly as a punk, a pus.sy... and a THUG.

Ace, if I scolded you for that -- and evidently I did, you have a sharp memory of it! -- I retract. In the past I've tried to get people on here to rein it in some, when attacking the kids on the team -- they are just students, I mean. But as I mentioned in the other thread -- I am amazed at my own apathy at present, and, well -- I guess I'm just not in a very ho ho ho mood right now, re: the Bills.

As a former Hoosier that incident between Crews and Jolly gave me the creeps a bit -- & brought back some old memories myself. Coaches losing it in anger, I mean.

And if you really need further depression: I just find it hard to believe that the present regime would actually fire Crews and find a new hire. As much as people on here are calling for that -- does anyone really believe that would happen, under present leadership?? I don't .... but maybe I'm the only one finding that implausible...

I find it implausible to believe that Crews will be back next year if this team wins 12 or fewer games. May and Pestello aren't completely blind.

I find it implausible to believe that Crews will be back next year if this team wins 12 or fewer games. May and Pestello aren't completely blind.

-time will tell

-I would hate to be in the ADept trying to sell tickets or get donations if the dumpster fire continues and there is no change and that is probably what Kshoe and others are thinking about the certainty of a change

Just got an email about a Billiken Coaches Show starting Monday, Jan. 4th hosted by Earl Austin Jr. That should be interesting assuming there's enough interest left in the program that people are actually listening.

I assume they won't take phone calls. If they are, I assume Gary is already on hold for that show.