UT Martin GDT: Nuclear Meltdown Edition

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the time out technical...why did UT-Martin only get 1 shot and no ball. Is a time out technical not like a normal technical?

Also - what is the exact rule with media time outs. I found this

The panel also approved cutting the number of timeouts each team can use in the second half from four to three and eliminating some of the extra stoppages by using any timeout called within 30 seconds of a media timeout as the scheduled break. Committee members are hoping that will eliminate the occasional double timeouts that occur when there is no natural break around the 16-, 12-, 8- and 4-minute marks.

But I could have sworn tonight in the second half there was a media time out right after a team called timeout.

On the time out technical...why did UT-Martin only get 1 shot and no ball. Is a time out technical not like a normal technical?

But I could have sworn tonight in the second half there was a media time out right after a team called timeout.

Yep, I can't understand it. On the "called" timeout, we had the t-shirts shot from guns. One possession later, the media timeout and we had the Billiken ball toss.

I had bailed and was driving home by the time of the technical for the excess timeout. And Rammer and Earl did a poor job of communicating exactly what was going on. They mentioned the timeout taken that we didn't have but didn't use the word technical at all. They next described someone shooting free throws for Tenn Martin. I take your word for it that they only shot one, i didn't really notice from the radio description.

The following is something I found on the web describing rules changes for this season. I guess taking excess timeouts falls under the Class B technicals. Also, some techs (usually administrative) do not give the other team two shots AND the ball. Play resumes where it was stopped with whichever team had the ball keeping it.

• Making Class B technical fouls (hanging on the rim and delaying the resumption of play, for example) one-shot technical fouls. Previously, two shots were granted for these types of technical fouls.

OK guys let's look at the numbers for the game:

SLU / UTM: Total rebounds 34 /35 (Offensive 9 / 6, Defensive 25 / 29), Assists 18 /12, Blocks 2 / 2, Steals 4 / 7. No major meltdown in any of these categories.

Fouls 23 / 18, Trunovers 12 / 15, FTM - FTA (percentage) 22-25 (.880) / 24-32 (.750). Again no major meltdown here.

Scoring: FGM - FGA (percentage) 23 -60 (.383) / 25 - 52 (.481), 3FG - FGA (percentage) 8 - 32 (.250) / 8 - 19 (.421). This was the problem.

Overall, we had trouble with scoring. We attempted 60 2 point FGs and made only 23. Notably there was the layup by Crawford that did not go in after rolling on the rim. We attempted more 2 point goals than they did and made less than they did, very poor accuracy, this accounted for 4 of the victory points for UTM. We attempted many more 3 pointers than they did and made exactly the same number, no difference here, except to note the poor accuracy of the 3 point shooting. We made many more fouls than they did, they were less accurate in FT shooting than we were but made an extra 2 points in FT throwing over our score.

Their additional 4 points in 2 point FGs and the additional 2 points in FTs made the winning margin for UT.

I wanted to make a note about a few players. Reggie played 17 minutes, made 3 pts and 3 rebounds, had 2 fouls and 1 turnover. Neufled played 8 min made 1 steal, had 1 foul. Yacoubou played 21 min, made 8 pts, 1 assist, 3 rebounds, had 4 fouls and 2 turnovers. Gillmann played 13 minutes, made 2 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 block had 3 fouls and 1 turnover. As we all know, we have a problem with bigs. None of these played very well. Jolly played only 1 minute and did nothing. Given the way other bigs are playing, it might be appropriate to give him more minutes to see if he can do any better than the others.

I also wanted to compare the numbers of Bartley and Bishop. Let's remember that Bishop is a freshman with very few minutes of D1 play and Bartley played a fair amount last season. Bartley played 19 minutes, made 6 points, 4 assists, and 1 rebound, had 3 fouls. Bishop played 11 minutes with a face mask, made 5 points and 3 assists, no fouls or turnovers.

Yarborough, Reynolds, Roby, and Crawford played well.

My conclusions are these, when Yacoubou is not playing particularly well we have problems. Our bigs are, to be kind, still developing. I would like to see Bishop getting more minutes.

Yes, we lost. We lost because our shooting accuracy was very poor. Just a few more scores might have made the difference.

I love the Billikens Message Board. You guys say it like it is.

All teams have that one ugly game. Look at the Bonnies, they are beating Syracuse for the first 3/4's of the game and end up loosing. Oops

Lookforward for our Home and Home games with you this season!

Go Billikens beat Dayton

-is there a plus/minus stat out there as I would bet Bishop was the clear leader there, when will he get his next minutes?

-we put on a press in the last minute, at least we tried something different, but why didn't we try something different when we were going from losing by 6 or 8 to losing by 22?

-again we call timeout and it backfires

-who is in charge of subs? MC sits from the 16.25 mark until the 2.39 mark in the second half

-our guards cannot stop dribble penetration and we don't help them or try something different

-we scored our 12th point at 16.50, we scored our 13th point at 11.06, patented drought

-good thing we host UD on a Tuesday or it might look like a Cardinal home game with all the red