GDT: 12/2/15 — Morehead, less tail; wait, what?!

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Proposal for a billikens.com table for student organization day (or whatever it is called).

That's a great idea. Maybe we could all get a house and move in together. Get some pledges. Haze them. So on and so forth.

Isn't the sigma chi house available? I was always fond of upper left.

That's a great idea. Maybe we could all get a house and move in together. Get some pledges. Haze them. So on and so forth.

Isn't the sigma chi house available? I was always fond of upper left.

I can't tell. People live there currently from the times I've walked past it.

There is obviously a disconnect between what Crews is trying to do and the players' execution. Is that all on Crews? A lot of it is for sure, but the players also share some blame for their lackluster, uninspired play.

I'm concerned that it wasn't just 'a few bad apples' that brought down team chemistry last year, but rather a more collective mindset. I always got the sense that the players loved Majerus through thick and thin...hell, it even seemed that players liked Soderberg too. I just don't get that same impression from current players towards Crews.

Long season though...marathon, not a race..

Still in the mix against Wichita.

Thanks for the laugh, and for brightening up my morning. Perhaps that was irony, but allow me to clarify: Wichita is going to hammer us, but good.

That first half was a complete disaster. It was a pretty huge disappointment, to say the least; I think we had reasons to expect a abit more improvement but this was back to the Fordham game last year. Maybe Tryptophan from some leftover turkey sandwiches...

I will say this, FWIW: administrators at SLU are mentioning heightened stress and freaking out among today's SLU undergraduates, as being unprecedented. Please do recall 2 things; 1) the players are SLU undergrads; and 2) we are entering finals week.

All that said, the first half was a complete disaster, I can't believe how poor that was compared to pretty decent play against a fairly similar North Florida team..... was that last week?!?!

Thanks for the laugh, and for brightening up my morning. Perhaps that was irony, but allow me to clarify: Wichita is going to hammer us, but good.

That first half was a complete disaster. It was a pretty huge disappointment, to say the least; I think we had reasons to expect a abit more improvement but this was back to the Fordham game last year. Maybe Tryptophan from some leftover turkey sandwiches...

I will say this, FWIW: administrators at SLU are mentioning heightened stress and freaking out among today's SLU undergraduates, as being unprecedented. Please do recall 2 things; 1) the players are SLU undergrads; and 2) we are entering finals week.

All that said, the first half was a complete disaster, I can't believe how poor that was compared to pretty decent play against a fairly similar North Florida team..... was that last week?!?!

-Doc, please clarify your statement around the stress and freaking out as from my recollection this is not the first time the U will be administering final exams in December

I know (hope) you're not excusing a performance based on finals week, but Morehead State is in the exact same condition. They stomped SLU on the road, 400 miles from their finals.

-Doc, please clarify your statement around the stress and freaking out as from my recollection this is not the first time the U will be administering final exams in December

In other news, Louisville, Morehead State, and Wichita State have never had finals in December.

"I would've made those free throws, but all I could think about was whether Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs would be on that Psych 101 exam."

(The 2013-2014 team lost once in December - a close one to Wichita State. The 2012-2013 team did not lose in December. The 2011-2012 team went undefeated in December until New Year's Eve against New Mexico. From what I'm told, all of those teams had final exams. They also had better players. Funny how that works.)

(The 2013-2014 team lost once in December - a close one to Wichita State. The 2012-2013 team did not lose in December. The 2011-2012 team went undefeated in December until New Year's Eve against New Mexico. From what I'm told, all of those teams had final exams. They also had better players. Funny how that works.)

I was looking at this last night. Would any of the current players crack the rotation on any of the 3 tournament teams? I can't really see anyone that stands out as obvious.

I was looking at this last night. Would any of the current players crack the rotation on any of the 3 tournament teams? I can't really see anyone that stands out as obvious.

Crawford is better than Barnett or Cassity. Ash, too.

Start of the 2nd half last night - down 23 - 15-38. 2nd half cut the lead to 37-49 with a 22-11 run with 5:33 to go after Ash's 3pt. Then guess what - the coach who does not want to call timeouts calls one. Then guess what - Morehead goes on a 7-0 run to increase the lead back to 19. Thanks Jim Crews!

Start of the 2nd half last night - down 23 - 15-38. 2nd half cut the lead to 37-49 with a 22-11 run with 5:33 to go after Ash's 3pt. Then guess what - the coach who does not want to call timeouts calls one. Then guess what - Morehead goes on a 7-0 run to increase the lead back to 19. Thanks Jim Crews!

Not only that, but he called the timeout to get Bishop into the game, who hadn't played all night. Lo and behold, Bishop gets blown by twice for easy layups. So Crews stopped his own team's momentum and sent out a weaker squad. Baffling!

Not only that, but he called the timeout to get Bishop into the game, who hadn't played all night. Lo and behold, Bishop gets blown by twice for easy layups. So Crews stopped his own team's momentum and sent out a weaker squad. Baffling!

The whole thing was weird. I actually didn't have a problem with putting Bishop in. They were not going to win that game. Get Bishop some experience. The big issue as DeSmet brought up at the time was that he then pulled him right after he got beat the second time.

A few years ago something like this went down at home to Santa Clara. We went on to have a top team. This was a classic trap game. Still in the mix against Wichita.

A classic what? This is not a team that has any "trap" games. Those are reserved for good teams, say like a UK losing to Morehead because they're looking forward to Duke. After last night's butt whipping, I'm convinced Morehead would beat us 9 out of 10 times. That thrashing was our home court, and they ate our breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Face it, this team is really not very good. We don't have enough talent, we aren't very well coached, and, with few exceptions, I get the feeling most of them just plain don't care about winning. That is a bad brew. We'd better hope that the powers that be just won't tolerate it beyond this year. Hell, I'm hoping they don't tolerate it beyond the middle of January.

Crawford is better than Barnett or Cassity. Ash, too.

Definitely better than Barnett. Cassity I think had a different role, but his reluctance to shoot at times was maddening, since he could shoot and drive. Ash is more athletic obviously, but nowhere near the complete player Crawford is. Crawford's our best player right now, it's too bad he has no one else around him, because he's not the Legend who could carry a team on his back.

Yes, Ash would have been a very effective 3 (kind of like the 5th best starter) instead of Barnett a couple years ago. Would have gotten a bunch of rebounds and garbage baskets just hanging around Jordair. He would be a nice role player on a good team. Not so much a top player on a bad team.

I doubt PJ Carlesimo is the answer for SLU hoops. As a non-sexy school with a need-a-bag-over-the-face basketball history (last 40 years), will need to pay a charismatic up-and-coming coach who can land some long and athletic players with b-ball skills and retain some good basketball strategists to accompany him.

Get real. Your beloved SPUMAC with non-stop scandal is "bag over the face" stuff.

Weren't we a Top 10 team just less than two years ago? The building of the Fetz, three-year run of RM and a Spoonball era of being in the Top 10 in the nation in attendance is not "bag over the face" stuff. The discussion that should be taking place is why has success at SLU not been sustained? And when comparing the goals of the program, be realistic. We can't compare ourselves to a state school athletic factory type of place. How does SLU stack up to other Catholic schools? You got Detroit and Loyala Chicago on the low end. How do we become more like Xavier and find a way to sustain success? It not only takes smart leadership and commitment from the President and Athletic Department, it will take commitment from the boosters. Is Doc Chaifetz still engaged and interested? For example, would he be willing to help buy out JC's contract and bring in a proven coach? If the boosters aren't willing to do that, I suspect we'll get one more year of JC next year.