GDT: 12/2/15 — Morehead, less tail; wait, what?!

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing was weird. I actually didn't have a problem with putting Bishop in. They were not going to win that game. Get Bishop some experience. The big issue as DeSmet brought up at the time was that he then pulled him right after he got beat the second time.

No, they were probably not going to win - but if they would of cut the lead to 10 or less with around 5 minutes to go. I would of liked to of seen what would of happened.

Start of the 2nd half last night - down 23 - 15-38. 2nd half cut the lead to 37-49 with a 22-11 run with 5:33 to go after Ash's 3pt. Then guess what - the coach who does not want to call timeouts calls one. Then guess what - Morehead goes on a 7-0 run to increase the lead back to 19. Thanks Jim Crews!

Not only that, but he called the timeout to get Bishop into the game, who hadn't played all night. Lo and behold, Bishop gets blown by twice for easy layups. So Crews stopped his own team's momentum and sent out a weaker squad. Baffling!

-this timeout fiasco is another sequence from last night that had me there in stunned disbelief

-the others were in the first half when we were seemingly trying to navigate through a bog why didn't we try something different? the team had no energy, we played a bunch of kids, try a press, try a trap, try something different because what you were throwing (up) out there was not working

-the next was the start of the second half, we had another coaching opportunity given to us by the design of the game and that was half time, and do we come out with anything different? no, same 5 guys not doing the same things

-I am at a loss as to being able to explain what is happening

School sprit is a joke. No tradition. Not even a SCHOOL FIGHT SONG?! Play ###### "saints go marching in" like we ###### invented it. Even steal the gator chomp for the student section, so pathetic. Been around since 1818? First school west of the Mississippi? You could have fooled me. NO ###### TRADITION, no wonder there are ZERO serious fans outside this board

Easy there. I'm on the "this team and coaching staff sucks" bandwagon now too, but let's not kill everything having to do with the program over this current debacle. If you really feel this way, start following another team.

Easy there. I'm on the "this team and coaching staff sucks" bandwagon now too, but let's not kill everything having to do with the program over this current debacle. If you really feel this way, start following another team.

is it not true tho? I don't like to admit it but call a spade a spade. I love this school and want it to succeed!

I love the fight song. We're not the only school that uses it, but who cares? It's a cool song and it fits the school and its history as well or better than any of the others that use it. I do wish the gator chomp thing would go away forever, but that comes from students mishearing the song being played. It wasn't as if that was some kind of planned thing to steal Florida's schtick. I also don't think we're the only school that has students make the gesture.

As for the timeouts, I thought the sequence after Crews called one in the second half actually vindicated him. If that's what happens, he's probably right that him calling timeout does his team more harm than good. The back-and-forth with Bishop and Reynolds over the last few minutes was just weird.

I love the fight song. We're not the only school that uses it, but who cares? It's a cool song and it fits the school and its history as well or better than any of the others that use it. I do wish the gator chomp thing would go away forever, but that comes from students mishearing the song being played. It wasn't as if that was some kind of planned thing to steal Florida's schtick. I also don't think we're the only school that has students make the gesture.

As for the timeouts, I thought the sequence after Crews called one in the second half actually vindicated him. If that's what happens, he's probably right that him calling timeout does his team more harm than good. The back-and-forth with Bishop and Reynolds over the last few minutes was just weird.

-I don't get why Bishop, who seemed to have at least a decent game vs L'ville, didn't get in this game until 34 minutes had expired

We don't have a historic fight song like the other Catholic Schools (aka Notre Dame)

is it not true tho? I don't like to admit it but call a spade a spade. I love this school and want it to succeed!

I love the tradition of this program. The Billiken is one of the most unique mascots in sports. Our "fight song," has been used for years. I cannot imagine the Billikens coming out to anything but that song. That's tradition. While having a band is not unique, I think that our band, the way they do things, is a great tradition. Don't use the team sucking now as a platform to attack the tradition that we have.

On a sort of related note, I think this current athletic department has botched the handling of the student section. In my day (I know I sound like an old man, which I probably am) the student section was always packed, and that's even with the fact that we had to take the Metrolink down to Scottrade. The athletic department has created an environment where students feel like they are getting disrespected if they don't get free pizza with their free tickets.

We don't have a historic fight song like the other Catholic Schools (aka Notre Dame)

But can you think of Xavier's or Gonzaga's fight songs off the top of your head? The only two that I can think of straight away are Oklahoma and Notre Dame, and I am not a fan of either team.

95% of fight songs are overrated. Playing "Saints" fits nicely with the school and our city. The Blues still use "Saints" as their theme song

Bishop, as shown last night, cannot defend at all. He is somewhat of an offensive threat though.

-I get that, so why call timeout and the only change be put in a player that hasn't played all game?

-btw, MR playing the same poisition got beat bad several times, too