Changes in Branding for Athletics

You are at heart an investigative journalist Bonwich. Correct, but Dr. Pestello did go along with it after taking over.

I went to a presentation by Dr. Pestello at the B school and got to meet him. The financial picture is not altogether nice for SLU as of about 6 months ago. Therefore, not cutting down this expense has to have a meaning, don't you think?

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are at heart an investigative journalist Bonwich. Correct, but Dr. Pestello did go along with it after taking over.

I went to a presentation by Dr. Pestello at the B school and got to meet him. The financial picture is not altogether nice for SLU as of about 6 months ago. Therefore, not cutting down this expense has to have a meaning, don't you think?

Well, as you've said, branding is a long process. Plus a company/institution only does it every 20-30 years. I gotta figure that once they pulled the trigger, they had to stick with it. (Well, not had to, but that would be a pretty hard thing to turn around and cheap out on.)

Also, knowing that this extended back to the dictatorship explains why they didn't just hire one of the leading graphic design firms in the country, which just happens to be basically on campus. The most rev. didn't get on well with those upstart firms who had the gall to bring Locust Ave. back to life without him being able to take credit for it.

From the article: "There's a good chance (and we genuinely hope) that everyone will be happy with the new logo".

Ha! Yeah right! People are rarely ever happy. Some people just don't like change and never will. The fact that it's even changing has people up in arms, so for many of those people this is a no-win situation.

I'm actually impressed with the amount of work that they did put in to it. They involved 150 people. Is that enough? I guess that's subjective. They could have involved 13,150 people and some would argue that wasn't enough. In time, whatever the new branding is will become what we know. Most future students and athletes may not know the history and they won't know any better.

I would bet there's a 60-70% chance that I won't like the new Billiken, but hey I'll get used to it. I was not a huge fan of the new "SLU" wordmark that appears on the outside of my season ticket box. It's not so much that I dislike it, I just thought it lacked some originality. I've had my tickets for a week and I am already getting used to it.

By doing this it at least tells me that some thought is going on in the AD. Hopefully, it will be a sign that they still have a mission to better our athletic teams (most importantly men's bball) and that they are willing to look at all things to do that. If that doesn't happen, then I'll be upset.

Here is the man we will have to thank next week, Mr. Randy House w/ PulsePoint.

http://www.pulsepointgroup.com/about-us/our-people/rhouse

The office is 5 mi from my apartment in Austin. You guys want a preview? Here's my plan, I walk into the office Monday morning about 9:35 with a clip board and announce, "I'm here to pick up the SLU stuff". They give it to me, I walk out, I share with you. Bam.

The clipboard is the clincher, no one questions that a man with a clipboard isn't actually doing something official.

I like the new SLU on the ticket box. It's leaps and bounds better than the stair stepping sown SLU. Not sure if I'll like the new Billiken but I'll give it a chance. My question is can you guys find anything else to ***** about before the season starts. I mean there is only a week left. Let's ***** some more! If I was an 18yr old recruit and was thinking about coming to SLU, I'd cross it off the list if I stubbled a crossed this site. I think some of you had the wrong priest as a kid. Lighten up. It's only basketball. I can't wait for the season to start!

I don't care overall, not sure it impacts me much. The only thing I am remotely concerned about is what they do with the Billiken. Pistol threw out what I would consider the best Billiken, the vintage one with the crown (that's not the current Billiken logo anyways though, so not sure I am too concerned with losing the current Billiken logo). I would prefer they don't find a way to make the Billiken logo too generic or make it "modern" like the Bonnies logo someone posted. When it comes to mascots and logos I tend to love the vintage stuff almost across the board. But I doubt they are going to change the physical Billiken mascot we see at games much, so if it is just the Billiken on a logo, while I may not like it, I don't think it will necessarily affect me much (and I don't necessarily love the current Billiken logo). I do wish we could get gear with some of the vintage logos though, there are some great ones.

As I mentioned before, rebranding is a process where group thinking dominates (focus groups, etc...), you cannot expect much that is innovative coming out of it. You can expect something that is bland, up to date, not offensive and generally crowd pleasing. I think the picture above meets these criteria.

The Press Release stated that they are going to phase this new branding over the next 18 months, so I guess the basketball team will have new uniforms this year, but they won't redo the court till next year, unless they magically have a new court waiting in the background.

Wonder where they are hiding this?

NEW #SLULOGOS TO BE UNVEILED FRIDAY

-- A new basketball court will debut at Friday’s event, meaning Tuesday’s game will be the final SLU basketball game played on the original Chaifetz Arena hardwood. Ironically, UMSL was the Billikens’ first regular-season opponent on the court when Chaifetz Arena opened in 2007.

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=210484587

-- A new basketball court will debut at Friday’s event, meaning Tuesday’s game will be the final SLU basketball game played on the original Chaifetz Arena hardwood. Ironically, UMSL was the Billikens’ first regular-season opponent on the court when Chaifetz Arena opened in 2007.

This sort of dispells the "they are trying to bury it on a Friday" feeling. If they are pulling back the sheet on the entire basketball court, then someone is pumped about it.

I'm nervous, but I'll wait and see before I burn Dubourg down.

There are two things wrong with this blurb:

-Chaifetz Arena opened in 2008, not 2007.

-The fact that UMSL will be the first and last opponent on the same floor is an example of coincidence, not irony.

Unfortunately for ticket holders, the UMSL game actually was considered a regular season game - the lower-division "does it count?" game of that season, later frequently reserved for Rockhurst. It was an ugly 48-33 game. The exhibition game that season, the first held in Chaifetz, was against Harris-Stowe. Anyway, I'm guessing this blurb was edited by the same person in charge of the MBB Twitter account.