Changes in Branding for Athletics

Is this the official one? With that font for the wordmark?

The script has a very mid-century retro feel. I'm a little torn on the logo; the font would go well with some of our mid-century Billiken logos (my favorites, of course), but it actually does work together decently. It's not bad but it's not fantastic, either.

I think if they dropped the shadow thing they have going on with the face and added a crown it would really have something going for it.

I, too, really do like that font.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the font is the official font. If that is the case, it is good to see that they didn't even go 1 day without skipping over any sort of branding standards on official apparel.

I'm assuming this is a secondary or tertiary script at best, and figured the font on the new uniforms is going to be the official athletic font for now. I want to see the new uniform script next to the logo, though.

The logo does do a good job of capturing the Billiken's early mischievous grin, certainly better than the last one did. I can't decide if I like the two-tone white-and-grey shading or not. The bold lines do help it pop more than the last one from a distance.

Is this the official one? With that font for the wordmark?

The script has a very mid-century retro feel. I'm a little torn on the logo; the font would go well with some of our mid-century Billiken logos (my favorites, of course), but it actually does work together decently. It's not bad but it's not fantastic, either.

I was thinking the same with that font, would look really nice with one of the old logos.

If this is the new Billiken logo, I am good with it. I don't fully understand the face being half grey, but overall I think it is solid. I was not a huge fan of the current Billiken logo, so I see this as a solid upgrade.

I agree. The more I look at it the more I like it. I do think they need to drop the hadow/two tone thing.

Agree about liking it the more I see it. I don't really like the two-tone thing but actually like the grey more than the white.

This assuming that this is the actual logo...

The more I see it, the more I like it. I think it will play better as a court design. Something my roommate suggested would be good for the court is an arch that spans the whole court, similar to the Xavier skyline concept but a little cleaner. Though I'm not sure that is the route they went with, I would be pleasantly surprised with the whole process if that came out of it as well.

I don't mind it. A fiercer looking Billiken was needed. This is an upgrade since the old one was very 90s, but I thought it still could've been done better.

It strikes a good balance of modern (bolder lines, mix of angles and curves, two tones in the white space) and throwback (the face suggests the mischief and charm of old-time Billiken figurines and images, such as below). I don't know if 'fierce' is the word I'd use for it or not - certainly more fierce than the previous, soft-edged Billiken.

billi5.jpg

First thought was that it was really bad. After looking for a few minutes, it's not a complete abomination. Leads me to think that we won't care that we changed it after seeing it on the logos for part of a season.

I'm in this camp as well. I'm not rushing out to replace my old SLU gear with new stuff, but it isn't terrible awful. I think it will look better in large format than a small format though, like better on the court than on a titt-patch polo kinda thing.

The more I see it, the more I like it. I think it will play better as a court design. Something my roommate suggested would be good for the court is an arch that spans the whole court, similar to the Xavier skyline concept but a little cleaner. Though I'm not sure that is the route they went with, I would be pleasantly surprised with the whole process if that came out of it as well.

I'm interested in the court redesign. Honestly, I loved ours before - blue edges and lanes, logo on the middle, one tone of hardwood. I like a cleaner floor than some of the goofy stuff some programs are doing.

That said, the Arch does provide striking skyline potential....

I'm interested in the court redesign. Honestly, I loved ours before - blue edges and lanes, logo on the middle, one tone of hardwood. I like a cleaner floor than some of the goofy stuff some programs are doing.

The floor is going to be all blue with Billiken headed ducks on it and say "Where winners migrate" on the baselines.

My friend on the tennis team saw the court yesterday, but they made a strict policy of no phones or cameras. He wouldn't spill the beans on what exactly the changes were, but said he liked it.

I'm in this camp as well. I'm not rushing out to replace my old SLU gear with new stuff, but it isn't terrible awful. I think it will look better in large format than a small format though, like better on the court than on a titt-patch polo kinda thing.

I forgot to add that I am still glad I got my Vineyard vines Billiken tie in the in the smiling Billiken variety. Fierce Billiken doesn't go as well in professional wear.