Changes in Branding for Athletics

No, I personally do not like it, but someone or someones somewhere high up the the corporate scale approved it, assuming it did become the logo of the company.

Well, yeah, it's been the logo of one of the largest privately held companies in St. Louis for about 25 years. And it's considered one of the most recognized corporate marks in the construction industry. And it was developed by a St. Louis firm.

More important, in what was then a company of more than 1,000 people, the rebranding (geez, I wish I could find a copy of the ugly thing they had before) was done by the CEO and five or six other people. They then sold it in internally and externally with some sample projects.

Everything I've heard about SLU's process (including especially sending it to Minnesota) sounds like an utter disaster. We'll see the results soon enough.

(The only thing they could have done worse would have been to include the anti "Baby Blues" gal on the evaluation committee. ;) )

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, yeah, it's been the logo of one of the largest privately held companies in St. Louis for about 25 years. And it's considered one of the most recognized corporate marks in the construction industry. And it was developed by a St. Louis firm.

More important, in what was then a company of more than 1,000 people, the rebranding (geez, I wish I could find a copy of the ugly thing they had before) was done by the CEO and five or six other people. They then sold it in internally and externally with some sample projects.

Everything I've heard about SLU's process (including especially sending it to Minnesota) sounds like an utter disaster. We'll see the results soon enough.

(The only thing they could have done worse would have been to include the anti "Baby Blues" gal on the evaluation committee. ;) )

This is good Bonwich, and it definitely means (see my prior reply to you) that, regardless of whatever reasons you may have for disliking something, personal taste has nothing to do with the process of branding, rebranding or choosing logos. Whatever is chosen, as in the case with McCarthy's, may become a great success, but any individual person may dislike it and give reasons for the dislike.

In terms of the SLU rebranding, what I am reading here is that a lot of people are anticipating and getting ready for a disaster coming out of this rebranding, just as they are anticipating and getting ready for a disaster this playing season.

It would be a shame if they couldn't come up with something great for one of the most unique mascots/nicknames in college athletics. I will reserve judgement until they release it.

They get a D- for the roll out of this though, and I'd consider an F. Announcing it on a Friday afternoon after the start of sports is ridiculous.

It would be a shame if they couldn't come up with something great for one of the most unique mascots/nicknames in college athletics. I will reserve judgement until they release it.

They get a D- for the roll out of this though, and I'd consider an F. Announcing it on a Friday afternoon after the start of sports is ridiculous.

It does seem odd that this is being announced and introduced in mid-November (school year and fall sports are well underway and winter sports have begun in some capacity). Will the basketball team's uniforms reflect the rebranding? From a purely athletic point of view, this should have all happened this summer (could have unveiled the entire line across the different sports). Must be nice to have Nike driving the ship on these efforts instead of leaving it up to your school to make it happen.

I thought that was a very well written commentary on the situation that made some excellent points. Kudos to the U-News Editorial Board. I especially liked when they discussed the fact that this decision affects more than just the students who happen to be there now. I am going to have to wear stuff with this logo on it (maybe, we'll see how it looks). I've been graduated for quite a while now.

Excellent article. Most people on campus have absolutely no clue about what has been going on, and it seems that a majority of the students in the SLU community (as well as alumni, donors, etc.) were not allowed to give any input on this decision. Very disappointing.

Excellent article. Most people on campus have absolutely no clue about what has been going on, and it seems that a majority of the students in the SLU community (as well as alumni, donors, etc.) were not allowed to give any input on this decision. Very disappointing.

Are we/they really entitled to give input? Serious question. It seems to me that the school should involve them but honestly do they really have to

Are we/they really entitled to give input? Serious question. It seems to me that the school should involve them but honestly do they really have to

I think the more involvement you seek, the easier the buy in will be when the process is finished. Being as incompetent as the ChrisMayAthleticDepartment has been, I don't see them being able to handle any sort of backlash at all. It would have been a better idea for them to get more of a public input and at least htey could say "everyone had their say, majority rules." Now they can't really spin it any way if it backfires.

These types of rollouts usually follow one of two patterns--a very public airing/vote between different possibilities, or lots of suspense/secret keeping until a highly promoted and planned reveal. Seems they accomplished the worst of both worlds here--almost no input or participation by the general fans during the process, but also what promises to be a very anticlimactic reveal. What's the point of guarding the possible new logos like a state secret if you're just going to announce it with a whimper on a Friday afternoon after the basketball season's already started?

These types of rollouts usually follow one of two patterns--a very public airing/vote between different possibilities, or lots of suspense/secret keeping until a highly promoted and planned reveal. Seems they accomplished the worst of both worlds here--almost no input or participation by the general fans during the process, but also what promises to be a very anticlimactic reveal. What's the point of guarding the possible new logos like a state secret if you're just going to announce it with a whimper on a Friday afternoon after the basketball season's already started?

Because this is SLU, where morons run the AD and, despite their best efforts, fall flat on their face. Screw a one and doner, what we really need is a whizz kid marketing guru

As a current student, if I was not a member of this message board I would have no idea that this change was occuring. I have tried to tell some friends about it and I was met with looks of confusion because this was so secretive from the undergraduate students here.

This would also be a great time to unveil some cool new uniforms.

The rollout of the new uniforms halfway through last season was strange too. I guess they were supposed to be tied into the All-Century thing? But they were used for one partial season and evidently now need to be replaced again? Weird.

Should've just done a throw-back for the all-century game and stuck with what they had

I think the more involvement you seek, the easier the buy in will be when the process is finished. Being as incompetent as the ChrisMayAthleticDepartment has been, I don't see them being able to handle any sort of backlash at all. It would have been a better idea for them to get more of a public input and at least htey could say "everyone had their say, majority rules." Now they can't really spin it any way if it backfires.

JMM just consider for a moment the rebranding process itself. As described in the article, the process took 18 months, it involved extensive (very extensive indeed) work by Pulse Point and its parent, Olson, it involved interviews with many different groups of people, apparently including students. Progress was reviewed at high level meetings, including the President's Advisory Council and the Faculty Council. There is no one that can claim this was not a well organized, extensive process. The administration considered all kinds of options from many different angles and points of view. The result is or will be something that required collaboration and decisions at the highest levels of SLU's administration. You can be assured that the rebranding process did cost SLU a significant amount of money. This indicates Dr. Pestello considers this to be a high priority issue for SLU.

It should be obvious that the new brand (or the new look for SLU) was designed to satisfy the aims of the administration. This was not an open democratic process, nor was it ever intended to be such. The objective of the rebranding appears to have a broad, possibly National, aim. I would say, from my point of view, that the objective of the rebranding is to improve the way SLU is perceived Nationally. To make us look more like what we really are, a major academic center with excellent facilities, a very desirable place for young people to go to college. If the rebranding helps to achieve the school's aims, the administration will be very content and satisfied with the results.

Considering the complexity of the process, I am certain that Chris May and the Athletic Department were not in charge of the rebranding process. I have no idea where or when the real rollout of the rebranding will take place but I presume it will involve the faculty and the main donors as well. The Athletic Department portion of the rebranding rollout will be a side show.

We should wish all the best to SLU in this effort, they appear to have done a thorough and very expensive job, may it prove successful.

The objective of the rebranding appears to have a broad, possibly National, aim. I would say, from my point of view, that the objective of the rebranding is to improve the way SLU is perceived Nationally. To make us look more like what we really are, a major academic center with excellent facilities, a very desirable place for young people to go to college.

We should wish all the best to SLU in this effort, they appear to have done a thorough and very expensive job, may it prove successful.

I will wait and see the results before fellating the administrative for paying a lot of money to undertake a rebranding effort.

I have to imagine the impressive PowerPoint graphics being put out by the athletic department are creating a lot of buzz for SLU nationally (if they wanted to make a statement they should have let the individual putting those graphics together manage the process).

You can be assured that the rebranding process did cost SLU a significant amount of money. This indicates Dr. Pestello considers this to be a high priority issue for SLU.

Does it? If this has really been going on for 18 months, it started before he got here. And was budgeted for. I seriously doubt he would have reconsidered the process in the early days of his presidency.