Majerus SLU Crew

Europe pays from 60-100k per season, plus no taxes and living expenses in many cases. D league only pays 20-30k. So of course you'd go to Europe. Except 30-50 players get called up to the NBA every season. Reed was called up for 3 10 day contracts. 10 day NBA contracts are worth up to 60k. So for a borderline NBA player it makes a ton of sense to stay in the D league at least for a period of time. You get a couple 10 day contracts and you make as much money as you can in Europe and give yourself a chance to catch on and get a real NBA contract, over 500k. It takes several seasons to earn that in Europe. At about 3 years out of college if you aren't in the league you are never getting in so you take off for Europe. Few players get signed out of summer league anymore, too much competition. Once you are in Europe it is very hard to get out of your contract if an NBA team wants you. The NBDL is where you want to be if you want to play in the NBA.

Worked pretty well for Jabari Brown this past year.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilcox is a borderline NBA player and when Conklin did that he was just a freshman. He was a very very talented college player.

Besides the point, for instance the Ants Alumni team is comprised of the core of a D league team that won the championship in 13-14 and are still playing pro ball. That is extremely high level competition and a seasoned team. I honestly don't know if anyone on our roster is good enough to start for a D league team. Maybe Jett or Evans sans injuries but that is it.

Huh?

The Bracket was announced this week.

http://bracket.thetournament.com/#/

We play on Saturday at 12:30; and potentially Sunday at 12:45.

Tickets are half price until tomorrow at Noon. Use the Coupon Code TBTFF2

http://ev13.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=TBTCH17&linkID=img-imgt&shopperContext&caller=appList&appCode

I really am stoked for this.

The Bracket was announced this week.

http://bracket.thetournament.com/#/

We play on Saturday at 12:30; and potentially Sunday at 12:45.

Tickets are half price until tomorrow at Noon. Use the Coupon Code TBTFF2

http://ev13.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=TBTCH17&linkID=img-imgt&shopperContext&caller=appList&appCode

I really am stoked for this.

Based on the rosters of the 2 teams competing to play Majerus SLU Crew (after their bye), I think it is safe to say that "Houston Live" will advance. The other team "Brick Squad" seems to be composed of mostly players with only HS level experience.

Houston Live has a lot of guys who played college ball at the low/mid-major level and a guy named Mike James who went to Duquesne and played in the NBA on and off from 2001 to 2014. He is now 40 years old. Majerus SLU Crew should be able to handle them.

A potential match up in the next round with Ants Alumni will be the first real test. Their roster is a lot of high-major guys (some with NBA experience) who apparently played on an NBA D-League championship team together.

Very interesting how mismatched some of the 1st and 2nd round games are likely to be. After that most of the teams appear to be at least somewhat on the same level.

I am incredibly confused by this tournament, and what exactly it is (yes, I've visited the website and read). Jett, McCall, etc. will actually be playing on a court against other teams?

Yes. Not affiliated with anything. A big tournament where the winning team gets a million smackaroonies

Article in the post on team.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-hoops-reunion-could-net-team-million/article_22364c11-f2d1-565f-94e0-ebf6d2d35f34.html

The team has been playing in open gym sessions at Chaifetz — Evans estimates the veteran group has gone 98-2 in games against SLU’s current team — though the full team won’t be together until Friday in Chicago.

This is encouraging.

Yea that team was a top 20 team and our current team is, well, let's just say isn't at that level.

I do think though it is great for the current team to practice against those guys and hopefully learn from them too. Much better practice during the summer playing against an actual strong team like that than just shooting the ball around all the time. Especially to try and improve their offense, they won't run into many defensive teams better than those guys.

The Majerus SLU Crew team is more now than what it was at the time its members were kids playing D1 basketball. Both Conklin and Kwamain have been awarded MVPs in professional leagues (overseas of course but nevertheless a significant award for playing excellence), and the team has other members like Evans and Jett that were great playing for SLU and may be using this opportunity to start up professional careers. The Majerus SLU Crew is a team that in terms of experience is very much superior to our current team. i think playing with these guys will do a world of good to our team, both offensively and defensively.

Granted, these type of games should help our current squad, but as I read the article the old crew didn't have all the players. I'm guessing Evans, Jett, Brown, McCall were there. Wish our guys could get a taste of a Conk screen. Also, wondering why Cassity's not playing for the old boys. Isn't he still in STL? Good to see the good Dr's bankrolling the squad. Indicates maybe he hasn't lost his fervor for Billiken hoops. Still counting on he and a few others to shake thing up if this season goes down the toilet.

Granted, these type of games should help our current squad, but as I read the article the old crew didn't have all the players. I'm guessing Evans, Jett, Brown, McCall were there. Wish our guys could get a taste of a Conk screen. Also, wondering why Cassity's not playing for the old boys. Isn't he still in STL? Good to see the good Dr's bankrolling the squad. Indicates maybe he hasn't lost his fervor for Billiken hoops. Still counting on he and a few others to shake thing up if this season goes down the toilet.

Ha, Cass hasn't exactly been playing the last few years...