McBroom gone

How far in advance do the high profile tournaments schedule teams? When is the last time we landed in one of the higher profile tournaments?

Most are one to two years out. Would not be surprised instead of going to an away exempt tournament, we work a deal to be part of a round robin type of series. We host some crappy teams but play one game on the road at a BCS host school.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest reasons we don't get invited to good tournies is we travel so poorly. Gotta look in the mirror on this one.

I disagree on that. Most of those tournaments have only a couple hundred people in attendance. The problem is we aren't a national brand that anyone cares to watch on espn.

I disagree on that. Most of those tournaments have only a couple hundred people in attendance. The problem is we aren't a national brand that anyone cares to watch on espn.

I think you are spot on. Those tournaments are like watching gym class as empty as the gyms are.

No doubt that is part of it, but until last year's NCAA tourney run dayton definitely was not a larger national brand than slu. Yet they continually got invites to good tournaments and last year were in the Maui, which is the best and only invites 1 non "power 6" team. I'm certain their fan base and how it travels is the reason they get these invites.

At the very minimum, our fan base does nothing to distinguish itself as far as travel goes and then the tourneys cater towards schools with a national following and/or power 6 affiliation.

Unfortunate that he will no longer be with the team. When he played against the Bonnies a couple of years ago at the Reilly Center, I thought " Wow, another great player from So Cal playing in the A10 " !!!

I wish him all the best. I know it must be tough for kids that age to go through these types of life decisions.

Austin McBroom played for the Bills in 2013-14 and 2014-15, and the last time SLU played at St. Bonaventure was in 2013. Perhaps you're thinking of the game in the 2014 A-10 Tournament.

Why would we want to be a blood donor in an early season tournament? We'll still be working out the bugs in November. I'd rather we be a buy game for a high major program in late December.

I'm fairly sure our young team will need the benefit of playing 3 or 4 games rather than 1 game later in the year.

I'm fairly sure our young team will need the benefit of playing 3 or 4 games rather than 1 game later in the year.

What will two losses against top 25-50 teams prior to playing in the losers bracket tell us that we don't already know? If you play the same caliber of team a month later after Neufeld et al have logged double digit games, you might have a chance of stealing that game.

Exactly. This is the only reason that teams participate in these low end tournaments. The 4 games, including the 2 home games, only count 1 game towards the max of 28.

What will two losses against top 25-50 teams prior to playing in the losers bracket tell us that we don't already know? If you play the same caliber of team a month later after Neufeld et al have logged double digit games, you might have a chance of stealing that game.

+1 I think a win in said game would do much more for the program.

Agree to disagree on this one.

+1

Whether we like it or not, Dayton was one of the four (4) Great Independents playing home/away games with Notre Dame, Marquette and DePaul -- all 3 strong programs back in the 1960's and 1970's when SLU was struggling in the Metro. People still remember those days. Coach Don Donnoher had some really strong teams back then and Dayton even made the Elite Eight (with Roosevelt Chapman from New York) in 1985? Also, their program never dropped as low as ours did with Grawer's early years in the original MCC. Last 25 years or so beginning with the Great Midwest? different story.