La Salle from da' MD couch .....

Taj79

I feel like 99% of us were wrong on McBroom coming into the season. There were some who fully expected him to lead us in scoring the whole season. They looked like geniuses early. Then there were the ones who expected the frosh to start at PG from day 1. They look smarter now. Then there were the few who expected similar to last year. Good in non-conference and then once again figured out by A10 play.

He's no stud and he really struggles shooting the ball in A10 play (Crawford and Bartley are catching him in 3 pt% and Crawford and Roby are closing in in ppg) and he's not a very good defender but for a team that struggles to take care of the ball, you'd think he'd get more minutes. He has his bad turnovers but does a decent job taking care of the ball and setting up the offense. Again, he's not great at it, but I'm not sure what he's done to lose all those minutes. Has to be something in practice or with his attitude.

I thought Yacoubou would be the leading scorer, but I thought McBroom would probably be second. He's one of the best SLU has had in a long time in terms of hitting open threes. His trouble once A-10 play starts is that he just can't get open with any regularity. Then his playing time gets cut, and his shooting suffers further. I was hoping the pattern wouldn't be quite so pronounced this year. It pretty much has been, but his overall numbers are still better. I would certainly take one more year of the same, hopefully with a little more improvement.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our overall situation hasn't changed one iota since the season started. We've got talented young freshmen on the wings who are in various stages of physical maturity. We've got project bigs with limited athleticism in various stages of physical maturity. We were playing 4 on 5 in game one and we're still playing 4 on 5.

This season is about getting the kids used to the speed and complexity of playing at this level. We're still not going to know what we have collectively until we're getting at least 7 pts and 4 rebounds a game from our starting 5 man. That allows everybody else to play their proper roles and does not allow opposing defenses to cheat. And 7 and 4 isn't happening this season.

I love his passion - it's similar to that of GG. The only thing we could all agree as positive from him was enthusiasm and aggression, and the difference here is Reynolds brings that to the court every game AND has a skill set and can contribute.

You won't be alone, we'll have a two-man cheerleader pyramid.

don't make me get my A STAR IS BORN thread out the moron attic. I've been loving him from the day we signed him. getting the chance to see him and his HS on the tube so many times made it easy to scout for me. I love his attitude, his background and his experience. I'll be amazed if he's not a three year starter and all conference by senior year.

don't make me get my A STAR IS BORN thread out the moron attic. I've been loving him from the day we signed him. getting the chance to see him and his HS on the tube so many times made it easy to scout for me. I love his attitude, his background and his experience. I'll be amazed if he's not a three year starter and all conference by senior year.

Ayyyyy three-man pyramid.

MR is going to be one tough dude in 2 years, after filling out with 15-20 pounds of sinewy muscles added to those street smarts. He is fearless to the point of silly sometimes. With more size and sheer strength he will be fun to watch. Did you hear the stat that he has actually attempted more free throws this year than field goals? I'm not sure if that has ever really happened much, if ever, at least at SLU. I'd actually be interested to know who has ever done that in college basketball...

MR is going to be one tough dude in 2 years, after filling out with 15-20 pounds of sinewy muscles added to those street smarts. He is fearless to the point of silly sometimes. With more size and sheer strength he will be fun to watch. Did you hear the stat that he has actually attempted more free throws this year than field goals? I'm not sure if that has ever really happened much, if ever, at least at SLU. I'd actually be interested to know who has ever done that in college basketball...

I do not know of a comprehensive list but looking at a list of people shooting over 300 FTs in the NCAA I found Reggie Evans (Iowa) took 346 FT attempts with 326 FG attempts in 2000-1. Mceverett Powers of UT-San Antonio took more FTs than FGs in 2001-2 (336 to 321). I am guessing there are a few like Reynolds but not many.

Evans had nearly 700 FT attempts one year in the NBA (he is still playing for the Kings) but he also took 750+ shots.

Once Reynolds bulks up with muscle, his FT's will decrease and his FG will increase. Instead of a two shot foul, it will be "the bucket and one".

But I'd hope to see similar if not better FT %. I'll be greatly disappointed if we see any decline in that category.

I'd like to see all 3 of the FR guards work on their 3 pt shots in the offseason. If you become a threat from the 3, it creates opportunities to drive. Also, if MR and MB get in the weight room and start packing on some muscle they'll both make those shots on the drive to the hoop. You've got to be strong when you take it inside.

Regarding 3 pt shooting, I happened to arrive early for the LaSalle game and watched the guards go through drills, including 3 point shooting. AY hits about 70 %, Bartley about 60 and Reynolds 40%. McBroom was hitting more frequently than Crawford in the 50 + range. These are all catch and shoot, planned step into the shot etc....What is amazing is Ash's game three point percentage is not nearly what I would expect. I would expect it to mirror MB or McBroom and he is not.

Chaney was working with the Bigs, barking orders to them etc... good to see.

MR is a MANCHILD

3 star is correct - we really do not yet know how much the young players have learned this year. The off season will be huge for them. He also makes a good point which I had not really thought of before but with our centers being so ineffective we really are playing 4-5 at times.

Gaining weight is not the issue - you or anybody can gain weight easily and quickly - hyper increase your calorie intake and decrease your activity. The problem with this is that it has no real value other than making the person doughy and let fit. You want to gain muscle and thus strength - asking a 19 year old to gain 25-30 pounds of muscle in 6-7 months is not realistic. I could see the player lowering his body fat and adding some muscle and definition but to do this correctly, it will take at least 2 full years to happen.

3 star is correct - we really do not yet know how much the young players have learned this year. The off season will be huge for them. He also makes a good point which I had not really thought of before but with our centers being so ineffective we really are playing 4-5 at times.

Gaining weight is not the issue - you or anybody can gain weight easily and quickly - hyper increase your calorie intake and decrease your activity. The problem with this is that it has no real value other than making the person doughy and let fit. You want to gain muscle and thus strength - asking a 19 year old to gain 25-30 pounds of muscle in 6-7 months is not realistic. I could see the player lowering his body fat and adding some muscle and definition but to do this correctly, it will take at least 2 full years to happen.

I agree 25-30 pounds seems ridiculous. Bartley, Reynolds, and gillmann are so scrawny that hopefully they see some increase in strength, but no so much that it slows them down or affects their shooting form (gillmann can't get any slower). However, as the muscles hypertrophy and strengthen they become more endurant which delays fatigue. MB, MR and AG have the most upside in terms of strength training benefits and it would be harder for DR to bulk up more. As many have said, it's important to increase their strength without affecting their quickness.

As tall and big boned as Gillmann and Jolly are, it is very possible for them to each gain 25-30 lbs of real muscle by their junior years.

They would have to be on a very intense program and commit to it, and it is not at all an unrealistic goal. And yes the key is increasing their strength, not just their weight. SEE: the kind of program that David Lee committed to in his younger years.

Will they do it? Most do not do what is necessary.