Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

It has to be Ingvi Gudmundsson; there's no trace of Bragi on the national basketball website. He's two years younger than Jon Axel, who will be a junior, so it stands to reason that Ingvi would be immediately eligible as a freshman in the fall, as JAG was two seasons ago.

His numbers for the U20 national team aren't great, but it's really hard to project international guys based on national team statistics.

He starts for Grindavik in the Domino's (yes, that is really the sponsor of Iceland's top league) League. He averaged 10.9, 3.9, and 3.5 this past season. JAG played for the same team before coming to Davidson, so I'm guessing Ingvi would also be eligible without any issues. JAG averaged 15.0, 8.0, and 5.3 in the league during his last season. Given his production at Davidson thus far, if we're recruiting a second-tier version of Jon Axel Gudmundsson, I'm fine with that.

Ingvi is anywhere from 6-3 to 6-7, from what I can find; his brother is about 6-4, 190. Where I can find his height in cm, he measures from about 199 to 201, so about 6-5+. I'm sure the big range has to do with the last time some of these sources were updated.

His middle name is Thor.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It has to be Ingvi Gudmundsson; there's no trace of Bragi on the national basketball website. He's two years younger than Jon Axel, who will be a junior, so it stands to reason that Ingvi would be immediately eligible as a freshman in the fall, as JAG was two seasons ago.

His numbers for the U20 national team aren't great, but it's really hard to project international guys based on national team statistics.

He starts for Grindavik in the Domino's (yes, that is really the sponsor of Iceland's top league) League. He averaged 10.9, 3.9, and 3.5 this past season. JAG played for the same team before coming to Davidson, so I'm guessing Ingvi would also be eligible without any issues. JAG averaged 15.0, 8.0, and 5.3 in the league during his last season. Given his production at Davidson thus far, if we're recruiting a second-tier version of Jon Axel Gudmundsson, I'm fine with that.

Ingvi is anywhere from 6-3 to 6-7, from what I can find; his brother is about 6-4, 190. Where I can find his height in cm, he measures from about 199 to 201, so about 6-5+. I'm sure the big range has to do with the last time some of these sources were updated.

His middle name is Thor.

Nice job.

2 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just said SLU is recruiting a shooting guard from Iceland whose brother plays at Davidson.

I'm guessing the brother is Jon Axel Gudmundsson.

Maybe if Ford is making a recruiting trip to Iceland, he could see if Kari Jonnsson is interested in coming back to the states.  He has been gone from Drexel for over a year and might be immediately eligible.  I think he is a better prospect than JAG's brother.

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Maybe if Ford is making a recruiting trip to Iceland, he could see if Kari Jonnsson is interested in coming back to the states.  He has been gone from Drexel for over a year and might be immediately eligible.  I think he is a better prospect than JAG's brother.

There are normally a few dozen D-I eligible prospects listed from Iceland listed here. You can check the box for "NCAA eligible", and it used to turn up a list of those players. Doesn't seem to be working at the moment, unfortunately.

Now, "D-I eligible" does not equal "legitimate D-I prospect". But it's at least a way to narrow the list of who might be in the mix.

1 hour ago, runandshoot said:

The sad thing is the accusations that are constantly made about this kid and his family. I am close to the family as I have stated many times before and here are the facts in the Louisville scenario: Coahc Mack reached out in hopes of recruiting Courtney Ramey apon him getting the Louisville job in which I have seen text messages indicating strong interest. Through a timeline of Courtney putting out a top 10 list because Louisville has always been a dream school and wanting to give the new staff a shot of building a relationship and a convo with Mack in which basically a take it or leave aproach was given by Mack, the family decided to not take it based on not having any relationship with Coach Mack and his staff. Courtney father figures Louisville and Mack needs guards badley and rather have older guards in the form of grad transfers which Coach Mack has since stated. 

There has been no evidence of any recruiting violations etc from this family and their AAU program which featured 2 top 100 players and who earned its Adidas Gautnlet spot last year by winning the Silver division the previous year before. The more ironic news is they walked away from Adidas this year based off all the changes and on goings with the program. Adidas also cut another local program Gateway basketball from the top status and made them a pay to play program on the Silver. Courtney is a great kid and works his butt off on and off the court. Every kid and coach Blossom says he doesnt hangout with the crowd and has never been in any associated drama or trouble. THe dad has run a program for over 20 years that has helped a lot of kids and we are formulating an opinion about him because they didnt want to come to SLU. If he had chose SLU we would be singing both their glory. The kid had his dream school snatched and is taking his time to make sure his next choice is the right choice and i commend him and his family for that. So we need to stop this crazy accusations of them being bad people or in some scam. That family is far from in the need of money and every coach that has and is recruiting him always says the same thing of how stand up and straight forward they are. 

Question:  Does Ramey's father have a job outside of basketball, or is running the AAU program his means of earning a living?

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Question:  Does Ramey's father have a job outside of basketball, or is running the AAU program his means of earning a living?

He is a high school administrator and also runs tourneys around the midwest, camps and puts on a couple big high school shootouts. 

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Where does he work?

Cardinal Ritter.

Also, do not underestimate how well coaches can do on summer camps. Take a hundred kids at a couple hundred bucks apiece, subtract expenses for using a gym in the summer (usually free on the coach's home turf), paying a few assistant counselors, t-shirts and whatever other giveaways there are, and a couple small odds and ends, and you can clear quite a bit of money in five days. Now do that 2-3 times a year in some cases, add more kids in some cases, and use a higher fee in some cases. Camps are the sweetest plum.

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Cardinal Ritter.

Also, do not underestimate how well coaches can do on summer camps. Take a hundred kids at a couple hundred bucks apiece, subtract expenses for using a gym in the summer (usually free on the coach's home turf), paying a few assistant counselors, t-shirts and whatever other giveaways there are, and a couple small odds and ends, and you can clear quite a bit of money in five days. Now do that 2-3 times a year in some cases, add more kids in some cases, and use a higher fee in some cases. Camps are the sweetest plum.

I understand the power of the camps.  I was just interested in where he worked.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

His middle name is Thor.

-if a player is in this league, are they getting paid and therefore not eligible by NCAA standards as they are or have been professional in the same sport?

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I understand the power of the camps.  I was just interested in where he worked.

Sure, it was more of a general statement.

It was probably in the best interest of both sides for Ramey and Louisville to go their own ways at this point. Whether there was any truth to it or not, Ramey was going to represent the last recruiting class under the previous coaching staff and all of the scandals that were associated with that staff are impossible to shake in the minds of fans. Ramey and his dad also may have had expectations based on their experience with Pitino & Co. that Mack and his staff weren't involved with, and obviously he's a different coach with a different system and will have mostly different players going forward. If Louisville was indeed his dream school, it's a shame that it didn't work out for Ramey. His final 9 is kind of an odd group but there are some really good programs in there, and some places where he can really thrive. I don't understand some of them (Illinois has Dosunmu, for example), but he's a stud and will do well at the next level.

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There are normally a few dozen D-I eligible prospects listed from Iceland listed here. You can check the box for "NCAA eligible", and it used to turn up a list of those players. Doesn't seem to be working at the moment, unfortunately.

Now, "D-I eligible" does not equal "legitimate D-I prospect". But it's at least a way to narrow the list of who might be in the mix.

Kari would still be a legit D1 prospect.  His freshman year at Drexel he averaged over 10 ppg and shot 43.6% from the 3 and 82.9% from the FT line.  He left Drexel after his freshmen year for personal reasons.  He went back to playing for his old team in Iceland.  I guess his eligibility would depend on what kind of deal he signed upon returning to the Dominos.  He played 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Kari would still be a legit D1 prospect.  His freshman year at Drexel he averaged over 10 ppg and shot 43.6% from the 3 and 82.9% from the FT line.  He left Drexel after his freshmen year for personal reasons.  He went back to playing for his old team in Iceland.  I guess his eligibility would depend on what kind of deal he signed upon returning to the Dominos.  He played 

Right, I didn't mean him, just the list of Iceland's D-I eligible players in general. They have several D-I kids every year.

7 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-if a player is in this league, are they getting paid and therefore not eligible by NCAA standards as they are or have been professional in the same sport?

You can be in a professional league without taking a salary. The NCAA now differentiates between "necessary expenses" (like travel expenses to play with a team) and things like signing a contract, being paid or receiving "preferential benefits", accepting prize money, accepting benefits from or signing with an agent, delaying college enrollment to play in competitions - things like that.

They used to prohibit any player who played in a professional league with professional players, but it changed 7 or 8 years ago and now you just have to make sure you're still in compliance with the rest of their amateurism guidelines, within the correct age range, and in compliance with academic requirements.