Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Pistol, are Nowell and Char Chuol now the top priority high school targets for 2018?

I think we could really use a JUCO shooting guard in addition to a JUCO/GT pg.

I haven't seen any contact between SLU and either of those guys for quite a while. My guess is that neither is currently a priority.

IMO with Goodwin returning we are a very appealing landing spot for a high-quality Juco player or even an uncommitted recruit at the point guard position - we have all the pieces in place to be successful over the next 2-3 years, and the opportunity for a high visibility point guard to be the final piece should not be overlooked.

2 minutes ago, TheOne said:

IMO with Goodwin returning we are a very appealing landing spot for a high-quality Juco player or even an uncommitted recruit at the point guard position - we have all the pieces in place to be successful over the next 2-3 years, and the opportunity for a high visibility point guard to be the final piece should not be overlooked.

+1

29 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

+1

33 minutes ago, TheOne said:

My biggest concern about being able to bring in a high quality PG is the fact that JG is considered by Ford to be his starting PG, so essentially we would be recruiting someone to come in for back-up minutes.

14 minutes ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

Pistol is there any word if anyone is interested right now in slu

I have zero patience for this kind of thing. I want 3 (awesome) players signed, and I wanted them signed yesterday! Kidding aside, I think Pistol is right. Now that we know Goodwin is back next season, along with most of our scoring and a beefier front court, this has to cast a wider recruitment net I would think.  This has to be appealing to  some recruits, just knowing they could be the difference between an A10 title next year and a 5th place finish. We really are just 1 or 2 decent guards/PG away from contending for top A10 spot next year. Or am I being naive? 

30 minutes ago, bauman said:

My biggest concern about being able to bring in a high quality PG is the fact that JG is considered by Ford to be his starting PG, so essentially we would be recruiting someone to come in for back-up minutes.

I think Ford would point to game tape this year and show that Roby and Hines brought the ball up the court more often than Goodwin. And kids with high aspirations know they need to play on and off the ball, and Goodwin isn't an overly ball-dominant player anyway, willing passer that he is.

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I have zero patience for this kind of thing. I want 3 (awesome) players signed, and I wanted them signed yesterday! Kidding aside, I think Pistol is right. Now that we know Goodwin is back next season, along with most of our scoring and a beefier front court, this has to cast a wider recruitment net I would think. We really are just 1 or 2 decent guards/PG away from contending for top A10 spot next year. Or am I being naive? 

I don't think this is the least bit naive. French, Goodwin, and Bess are all top-tier A10 players. Goodwin could be CPOY level if he improves his shooting even a little. Gordon will probably be in that top-tier. That gives us four high caliber players, with Johnson and Foreman playing at the level of solid rotation guys (although I think both have a higher ceiling, and mostly just struggle with consistency). If any of Pearson/Thatch/Santos can contribute, we are just one solid guard away from a top 50 team, and that's without factoring in any improvement.

While I am very optimistic about the front court next year, it is likely that 2 solid guards need to be added if a top 3 spot is to be taken. Personally, the JC guard Mahan to go with Thatch would be ideal, but likely the team needs two guards plus Thatch. While I haven't heard he is leaving, a Mark Smith transfer would also be welcomed for the team in two years. While the past few months have sucked, I trust in Travis to keep building his vision here in Midtown. 

Just now, johnbj14 said:

While I am very optimistic about the front court next year, it is likely that 2 solid guards need to be added if a top 3 spot is to be taken. Personally, the JC guard Mahan to go with Thatch would be ideal, but likely the team needs two guards plus Thatch. While I haven't heard he is leaving, a Mark Smith transfer would also be welcomed for the team in two years. While the past few months have sucked, I trust in Travis to keep building his vision here in Midtown. 

What about Pearson? Or do you consider him more of a 3?

1 minute ago, Zink said:

I don't think this is the least bit naive. French, Goodwin, and Bess are all top-tier A10 players. Goodwin could be CPOY level if he improves his shooting even a little. Gordon will probably be in that top-tier. That gives us four high caliber players, with Johnson and Foreman playing at the level of solid rotation guys (although I think both have a higher ceiling, and mostly just struggle with consistency). If any of Pearson/Thatch/Santos can contribute, we are just one solid guard away from a top 50 team, and that's without factoring in any improvement.

I think we need to add a high level 3 point shooter or we won't be dancing next year.  We probably need to add another consistent perimeter shooter as well.  Roby has struggled the last six games, but we are still going to lose our second best perimeter shooter.  We have to spread the floor better or we are screwed.

30 minutes ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

Pistol is there any word if anyone is interested right now in slu

I'm sure there are interested players, but it's pretty hard to say for sure without being directly involved in their recruitment. This is the kind of thing no one really reveals, as players keep it private mostly except when listing their leaders or something like that.

We're also in a rapidly changing situation. Until last week, we couldn't recruit with open spots. Until today, we couldn't officially say how many open spots there would be, and there still remains the question of Bishop's intentions - not to mention Welmer's scholarship.

Regardless, with a minimum of two scholarships available right now, we can identify the backcourt as the area of need and truly start aggressively pursuing guards immediately. We offered the juco shooting guard last week. I have to think a few PGs are going to get offers any time now.

Just now, brianstl said:

I think we need to add a high level 3 point shooter or we won't be dancing next year.  We probably need to add another consistent perimeter shooter as well.  Roby has struggled the last six games, but we are still going to lose our second best perimeter shooter.  We have to spread the floor better or we are screwed.

That's a good point. I harped on this last offseason, and that was when I assumed we'd have Henriquez. That said, we've been better offensively than I would've expected without the three S2 guys plus Welmer. In order to be a shoe-in top-50 team, you're right. Our defense is already pretty good though, so I could see us having a top-40 defense and a top-150 offense (which would put us in the top-80) with incremental improvements by the roster as-is, and I believe in Ford's ability to add that missing piece to push us up a level.

9 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Brandon Mahan would be a perfect fit.  I am not as high on Smith as some.  If we make the tournament next season, I think Ford recruits over Smith pretty quickly.  Smith will be recruited over before he ever plays a game for us.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Agree, we probably need two good three point threats. A shooter like Henriquez and a combo guard like Bishop would work well - oh well.

Anybody know how Thatch shoots the 3? Can't find the stats, but my sense is while not a great outside shooter, he has gotten better and may at least be better than Goodwin from 3.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Agree, we probably need two good three point threats. A shooter like Henriquez and a combo guard like Bishop would work well - oh well.

Anybody know how Thatch shoots the 3? Can't find the stats, but my sense is while not a great outside shooter, he has gotten better and may at least be better than Goodwin from 3.

This was my biggest issue with Thatch, the fact that he's never been much of a shooter, and since he's kind of a tweener in terms of his size, it made me unclear what his role would be.

However, he must've really put in work on his shot coming into this HS season, because he's really, really improved. I don't have his full-season percentage, makes, or attempts, but he's been good for about 2 made 3-pointers a game this year, and I think he's made them at a respectable clip (i.e. he's not taking 8 attempts a game to get there).

So while I wouldn't bill him as a great outside shooter, he's indeed vastly improved and at least has this tool in his arsenal when necessary.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This was my biggest issue with Thatch, the fact that he's never been much of a shooter, and since he's kind of a tweener in terms of his size, it made me unclear what his role would be.

However, he must've really put in work on his shot coming into this HS season, because he's really, really improved. I don't have his full-season percentage, makes, or attempts, but he's been good for about 2 made 3-pointers a game this year, and I think he's made them at a respectable clip (i.e. he's not taking 8 attempts a game to get there).

So while I wouldn't bill him as a great outside shooter, he's indeed vastly improved and at least has this tool in his arsenal when necessary.

Based on a little video and some articles, I envision him as something like a more athletic Roby or a poor man's Goodwin, due to his effort and ability to rebound.

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Based on a little video and some articles, I envision him as something like a more athletic Roby or a poor man's Goodwin, due to his effort and ability to rebound.

-from my viewings, I think this is right on but include a fantastic passer

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Agree with your point except I would prefer to use his scholarship with a transfer who can't play next year and use the other 3 for immediately eligible players, if we can find 3 at this point, who could help .  I don't want 3 more freshmen which would mean we have 6 true freshmen on a very promising team (coupled with the imbalance of scholarships issue).

My perfect solution:

2 Jucos and/or Grad transfers

1 Freshman

1 regular transfer who would sit next year.

All assuming that 2 of the 3 immediately eligibles are Guards who can really help, not R Anthony quality-more like Robertson at Mizzou.

Here's a possible grad transfer (I think)-Barnett from Missouri. Use the Tate/Tatum/Hughes connection.

Jordan Barnett is using the last of his eligibility this season.  There's none left for a graduate transfer season (he never sat out a full season).

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

@billiken_roy likes to use Justin Love as a sort of best case scenario comparison for Thatch, and the comparison has grown on me. I don't think Thatch will be called upon to carry the scoring load like Love was in his two years here, but he's of a similar size and build and was a similar type in HS (Love didn't develop his shot until later, either).

I think Thatch will end up being one of those guys who might not be fully appreciated because his numbers won't jump off the page, but he's unquestionably a guy who elevates his team and makes everyone around him better. He rebounds his position extremely well, he's a good passer and distributor, he's a solid defender, he's strong and quick in getting to the rim, and now he's got a developing jumper with a little range. He's just a sound player. The few times I was able to watch him play with the Eagles, he ended up with respectable scoring lines but didn't pop off the screen. I'd look at the stats afterwards and be like, "Whoa, he had 13, 9, and 6?" Except every once in a while he'll explode for a block or a dunk just to remind you what's up.

The other thing I love is that everything I see and read hints that he's a great kid and ferocious competitor. For example, he was having a sluggish night last week and suddenly got hit in the face accidentally by an opponent. In his comments after the game, he acknowledged that it was no one's fault, but it pissed him off and snapped him out of his funk, and he absolutely went off after that. A close game became a blowout in the span of a few minutes. Good student, gracious kid, comes across as genuine in interviews without showing false humility or an ego. I like him.