No Redshirts

thetorch

I think, smartly, 99% of kids would not accept a redshirt. With the rash of transfers now and chance of injuries taking a redshirt year just robs you of a year of eligibility. Kids don't take a redshirt to develop, they take it because they aren't going to play anyway. At this time I don't think there is anyone on the roster who is completely out of the rotation and has no chance of possibly getting playing time. Gillmann and Bartley, the 2 most likely players to redshirt have acquitted themselves well, and while I still think they are at the bottom of the depth chart, they have more than a minimal chance at playing time.

The precedent for redshirts isn't that strong in my opinion. Most players who are good enough to contribute late in their career can be helpful this year, or will not be needed for a full five years. Obviously Gillmann seemed like an obvious candidate, but without him our bench would definitely lack height. I don't mind not redshirting anyone. Hopefully we will be able to use that scholarship well in a few years.

This just tells me that either Crews doesn't have a full grasp at what he have yet or that he sees good potential in everybody on the roster. I'd be shocked if all 13 players were near ready to go. If we have a roster that could go 13 deep and then settle on a 9-10 man rotation, I think they says even more than we'll pretty competitive this year.

Second tweet from Durando says that Crews thinks the team is more consistant with more players playing. Sounds like none of the new guys have shown to be light years ahead of each other. I'm fine with him going 13 deep for the first few games as he works his rotation out

The only reason I'd redshirt a player is to even out the classes a bit, but I think it's pretty likely that one of these freshmen transfer out eventually. No inside info on this, but I guess if I was receiving the least playing time in a 6 person class, I'd probably look to go somewhere else and play.

I wonder though if this is somewhat of a lack of confidence in our big men (Manning, Glaze, Agbeko, Lancona) to stay healthy and contribute. All 4 have missed time in their careers due to injury.

The only reason I'd redshirt a player is to even out the classes a bit, but I think it's pretty likely that one of these freshmen transfer out eventually. No inside info on this, but I guess if I was receiving the least playing time in a 6 person class, I'd probably look to go somewhere else and play.

I wonder though if this is somewhat of a lack of confidence in our big men (Manning, Glaze, Agbeko, Lancona) to stay healthy and contribute. All 4 have missed time in their careers due to injury.

I can see that happening as well. It's almost become the norm in college basketball these days.

The precedent for redshirts isn't that strong in my opinion. Most players who are good enough to contribute late in their career can be helpful this year, or will not be needed for a full five years. Obviously Gillmann seemed like an obvious candidate, but without him our bench would definitely lack height. I don't mind not redshirting anyone. Hopefully we will be able to use that scholarship well in a few years.

+1. With the transfer era it doesn't make sense to use a scholarship year for a potential 5th year for someone. Odds are you won't want that guy in the 5th year if he couldn't contribute this year.

+1. With the transfer era it doesn't make sense to use a scholarship year for a potential 5th year for someone. Odds are you won't want that guy in the 5th year if he couldn't contribute this year.

But how many people were saying they wish Cory Remekun had redshirt as a freshman and been a senior last season?

I'm pretty sure the Bills had a scholarship to give. That's why five players left but six players are coming in.

My mistake. I was thinking incorrectly. But there still would have been a squeeze in a roster spot somewhere along the line - whether it's not signing Agbeko or Lancona.

This just tells me that either Crews doesn't have a full grasp at what he have yet or that he sees good potential in everybody on the roster. I'd be shocked if all 13 players were near ready to go. If we have a roster that could go 13 deep and then settle on a 9-10 man rotation, I think they says even more than we'll pretty competitive this year.

No. I believe that Jim Crews has a pretty good idea of what he has. If we are going to play 13 players (or close thereto) then this means that the veterans are not playing well enough to impress JC and to cause JC to shorten the

bench (see last year), that JC, knowing what it takes to win in the A10, has decided he must give the Freshmen every chance to prove themselves based upon the play of the veterans but that JC is also not willing to give up on the veterans, JC knows that he will need the veterans for both their play and their leadership and that he will keep them in the mix as well. Personally, from what I saw at the intra squad game, the Freshmen each had their moments but that the Senors were not so impressive.