Crawford

davidnark

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He strikes me as a Chris Sloan/Luke Meyer overachiever type. Not the same position but will turn out to be a solid contributor.

overachiever for his race, or himself? dude supposedly has a 40"+ vertical leap. and obviously he can stroke it like clarence. MC stands for "moist choice".

Also: I'm having a helluva time ranking the ladies in Jimbo's signature pic. They each have their own wonderful qualities that I appreciate. I'm just going to give up.

I think that may be deserving of its own thread and possibly a poll, maybe the Wiz could produce a ranking for us.

Also: I'm having a helluva time ranking the ladies in Jimbo's signature pic. They each have their own wonderful qualities that I appreciate. I'm just going to give up.

4, 6, 5, 1, 2, 3, 7

i don't know any specifics on SLU players' verticals, but I would guess that Jett and McCall have verticals in the upper 30s. Elite guards and defensive backs typically have verticals in this range, and both these guys can really get up even if they don't show it off in games. Nate Robinson apparently has the best NBA vertical right now (around 44 inches). Michael Jordan's peak vertical has been reported between 43 and 46". There are some guys who make their living off of jumping videos and clinics who claim to have verticals at or above 50". This article has a variety of ranges claimed: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/nba-draft-dj-stephens-records-highest-vertical-leap-181932411.html

I have personally seen Lil Mike do some incredible athletic dunks, both in games and in practice.

He is not a flashy show offy type player so his in game stuff is typically what ever gets the job done most efficiently.

I am a self confessed MC lover but believe me when I tell you that he he is a pure scorer. And believe it or not, his outside jump shooting has not been one of his most effective options. If he trully masters that part of his game....watch out.

Boy the Billikens are sure fun to watch right now.

re: vertical leap... back in the day, it was David Thompson at UNC who was setting the records; he seemed to fly. they also used to say he was the person who invented the "alley-oop" play (along with a little 5' 7" Hoosier dude called Monte Towe, for the old-timers on here...). Another couple of flyers: Doctor J & Dominique.

speaking of white boys who CAN jump: we were discussing fondly the local kid David Lee last night ... plus I loathe mentioning Kentucky but they had a couple, many years ago: Jeff Sheppard & Rex Chapman.

One other name to consider: another 5'7" kid who left many jaws on the floor: Spud Webb. he actually won the NBA dunk contest one year.

Last 3 games:

13.7 minutes, 5.0 points, 0.7 turnovers, 5-10 from the field, 5-8 from three-point range. But he's also playing well in ways that don't show up on the stat sheet. He was way better in the Dayton game than his numbers indicate. Kid can play.

Pistol. Your figures cannot possibly be correct. If I am not mistaken, these figures are rather similar to Cam Beidsheid figures of 6.2 ppg in 17 minutes. Please don't tell KShoe!! And until the injuries to RA and TL, MC seemed to have been buried on our bench behind both TL and RA leading to comments on this Board that MC was our least ready of the 3 Frosh to play this year and that we should have redshirted MC!! Can it be possible that a healthy TL is every bit as good (or better) than TL? And add to that the comments made by Jim Crews (well, what does he even know) that Ash plays the 2 AND the 3. Wait, that's three (3) promising, hard-working kids to compete for time at the 3 next year!! Plus, one of the tall guards in next year's class can play the 3. And don't forget that Jim Crews has another schollie to give which might be used for kid who can play the 3 as well!!

re: vertical leap... back in the day, it was David Thompson at UNC who was setting the records; he seemed to fly. they also used to say he was the person who invented the "alley-oop" play (along with a little 5' 7" Hoosier dude called Monte Towe, for the old-timers on here...). Another couple of flyers: Doctor J & Dominique.

speaking of white boys who CAN jump: we were discussing fondly the local kid David Lee last night ... plus I loathe mentioning Kentucky but they had a couple, many years ago: Jeff Sheppard & Rex Chapman.

One other name to consider: another 5'7" kid who left many jaws on the floor: Spud Webb. he actually won the NBA dunk contest one year.

-NCST and what a player

-NCST and what a player

I saw the game between NC State and UCLA in the old St Louis Arena, Thompson was the type of player that would leave his feet at the top of the key and dunk it. Only other player I witnessed in person that could do it better was Julius Irving.

Obviously we're dealing with a limited sample, but what I like from Crawford in these last few games is that he looks like he's getting adjusted to the speed of D1 ball, and has regained his confidence that was lost early on in the season.

Time will tell if he can continue to shoot >40% from 3 over the long haul, but if he can then he projects (WARNING: racially inappropriate comparison) more as Scott Highmark than Sloan or Meyer (2 guys who have nearly identical unspectacular 3pt shooting career stats - i.e. sub 30%).

Highmark is a more reasonable ceiling than a fictional character in a movie where nobody plays any defense.

Aside form wearing Highmark's 32, Crawford shares his knack for getting open behind the arc and finishing off great ball rotation with a made 3. He also - like Highmark - has not shown the ability to shoot off the dribble.

That being said, if he can't consistently nail the open 3s - his value (and projected usage) drops off significantly. Regardless, he will be useful role player in a worst case scenario.

Pistol. Your figures cannot possibly be correct. If I am not mistaken, these figures are rather similar to Cam Beidsheid figures of 6.2 ppg in 17 minutes. Please don't tell KShoe!!

You cannot be serious right now. Pistol quoted statistics from 3 games! And you're using that to compare him to Biedscheid's ENITRE freshman season? You also can't compare the stats Crawford put up against SBU, Fordham and Duquesne to the ones Cam accumulated against much tougher opponents.

I hope Crawford keeps up his recent success and becomes the swingman our team needs for this season and down the road. But I hope you are being tongue-in-cheel with the comparison to Biedscheid.

You cannot be serious right now. Pistol quoted statistics from 3 games! And you're using that to compare him to Biedscheid's ENITRE freshman season? You also can't compare the stats Crawford put up against SBU, Fordham and Duquesne to the ones Cam accumulated against much tougher opponents.

I hope Crawford keeps up his recent success and becomes the swingman our team needs for this season and down the road. But I hope you are being tongue-in-cheel with the comparison to Biedscheid.

NH, unfortunately I think he is serious. In another thread a couple weeks ago about how well the freshmen were doing he suggested the reason CB chose mizzou might be that he was afraid of getting playing time with this freshman class.

It seems weird to me to keep bringing up a former recruit every time we talk about the freshmen but what do I know.