HS Class of 2014 Updates

Pistol

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most obvious right now are the Harrison twins at Kentucky

on a Billikens message board, the most obvious should be Larry Hughes (the the highest profile recruit SLU has ever landed) and Justin Tatum (the father of the highest profile player SLU is currently recruiting)

Greg Oden & Mike Conley: Indy's Lawrence North & Ohio State.

for older fans: the Van Arsdales,

Tom & **** (oops I guess a censor will not let me say his name, short for Richard!), both of Indy's Manual HS & Indiana U. (also identical twins, also both with long NBA careers)

related query: can anyone name other sibs / twins who both played pro basketball?? hint: there are tons, including the Barrys, McCrays, Paxsons, etc... ps: there are at least two other sets of twins who played in the NBA (maybe more, one of those sets of twins is relatively famous) ....

I'm a Mcd. All-American nominee... That's a great feeling right there. God continues to bless me and my other soldiers

I could be wrong, but I don't recall any previous SLU recruits being McD All-American nominees. Doesn't necessarily mean much, but its nice.

Unfortunately Manning was one according to slubillikens.com

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=205260692

Prep

Averaged more than 12 ppg and shot 68 percent from the field his senior year at Chantilly High School ... helped the Chargers to a Northern Region appearance ... McDonald's All-America nominee ... All-Met fourth-team selection by The Washington Post ... averaged nearly 11 points per contest as a junior as his team advanced to the Virginia Class AAA state semifinals ... was a three-star recruit by Rivals.com and the 40th ranked center in the country by ESPN.com at the time of his signing ... played AAU ball for Team Takeover out of Washington, D.C.

Miles Reynolds@MilesReyRey312m

I'm a Mcd. All-American nominee... That's a great feeling right there. God continues to bless me and my other soldiers

I could be wrong, but I don't recall any previous SLU recruits being McD All-American nominees. Doesn't necessarily mean much, but its nice.

I might be wrong, but I think there are hundreds if not thousands of nominees. For some reason, I recall that Dustin Maguire (sp?) was a nominee, among others.

This is a hollow award - the coach nominates players and lots of names come in from all around the country - now being selected that is a big deal.

This is a hollow award - the coach nominates players and lots of names come in from all around the country - now being selected that is a big deal.

Didn't realize that is how the selection process works. Thanks for the info. While it is hollow, I'm sure it is exciting for the kid to be nominated even if it doesn't mean squat to us. Everyone likes some recognition.

Miles Reynolds@MilesReyRey312m

Hughes obviously was, and others have been nominated Baniak was a nominee to I think.

Hughes obviously was, and others have been nominated Baniak was a nominee to I think.

As far as I know, Larry Hughes has been the only Billiken to be a McDonald's All-American. Julian Winfield was a Parade All-American, but I don't even really know what that is. St. Louisans who've been Mickey-Ds All-Americans but not chosen SLU include Loren Woods and Bradley Beal. I think Darius Miles was, too, but I'm not totally sure. What about David Lee? As for MDAAs who aren't from St. Louis, it's highly unlikely that SLU would ever sign one of them.

As far as I know, Larry Hughes has been the only Billiken to be a McDonald's All-American. Julian Winfield was a Parade All-American, but I don't even really know what that is. St. Louisans who've been Mickey-Ds All-Americans but not chosen SLU include Loren Woods and Bradley Beal. I think Darius Miles was, too, but I'm not totally sure. What about David Lee? As for MDAAs who aren't from St. Louis, it's highly unlikely that SLU would ever sign one of them.

Richard Keene from Collinsville was a MDAA before going to Illinois in 92.

Lee and Miles both were.

Lee won the MDAA Dunk Contest in 2001

Class update:

-White Station is up to 13-0 and Roby continues to play well on a crowded roster. He's scored 7, 6, and 9 (or 10, depending on your source) since they returned from Christmas break, but had 6 assists in the last game. All were double-digit wins. Next game is tonight at home vs. Melrose.

-Bartley's first game since Collinsville is tomorrow at home vs. Eisenhower.

-Whitney Young's game vs. North Lawndale on 1/6 was postponed, but they beat Marshall 67-42 on 1/8. Reynolds had 18. He had 11 in that game where he hit the half-court buzzer beater at halftime; WY wound up winning that one 72-69. Next game is tonight at home vs. Westinghouse.

-As mentioned above, Gillmann went for 23 and 12 in a 54-52 win over Parkway South. The previous win, 85-54 over Holt, saw Gillmann go for 25 and 10 with 7 blocks. Oakville is now 6-3 and Gillmann is averaging 21.4 points, 12.9 rebounds, and 4.6 blocks on 66.9% shooting (75% from the FT line). Oakville's next game is Wednesday at home vs. Marquette.

-Blair Academy has won three in a row, at Graham, vs. Peddie, and vs. Trinity Pawling, all by a margin of 19 or greater. A fourth, at Lawrenceville, was cancelled due to the condition of the gym floor (heavy condensation). Jolly had 8 and 6 against Peddie; can't find box scores on the other two. Their next game is at home Wednesday vs. Hun.

A 2006 graduate of Edwardsville High School...scored 2,080 career points as a prep player...began his prep career at Bethalto (Ill.) High School...started all three years before transferring to Edwardsville as a senior...led Edwardsville to a 30-1 record as a senior and averaged 16.4 points per game...also shot 60.6 percent from the field and knocked down 50.4 percent (54-for-107) of his attempts from 3-point range...named the 2006 Illinois Class 2A Player of the Year and earned first team St. Louis Post-Dispatch All-Metro accolades as well...was also a 2006 McDonald’s All-America game nominee.

drum roll...... Dustin Maguire

Basically every good HS player is a McDonald's All-American nominee. Now that it has been settled, let's hope we never waste so much space here discussing such a meaningless topic.