HS Class of 2014 Updates

Pistol

Roby's team is playing in the Bass Pro Tournament of Champions this weekend in Springfield, MO. It's a good national tournament. The semifinals and finals will be broadcast on CBS Sports.

http://tofc.weebly.com/

Roby scored 7 points in tonight's win, including an alley-oop dunk. Saw several positive reviews about him on Twitter. I'm not sure, but it sounds like Roby's game tomorrow will be on CBS Sports at 8:30 pm.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen they play Paul VI. That is probably the same team that beat Whitney Young here in the City of Palms Classic

Seen they play Paul VI. That is probably the same team that beat Whitney Young here in the City of Palms Classic

Paul VI is the 14th-rated team in the country; White Station (Davell Roby!) is #3, and Montverde (Jalyn Patterson!) is #1. Quite a tournament.

Quadree Smith just left Paul VI; SLU had offered him at one point.

-Gillmann went for 17 and 10 in a win over Seckman, adding 4 blocks. He had 19, 11, and 3 in a win over Marquette. Oakville's next game is tonight at Northwest, who is terrible.

-Bartley and MacArthur beat Eisenhower 73-41 on Tuesday. Bartley had 20. Next game is Tuesday at Danville.

-Blair Academy beat Hun 52-19 the other day. Now 10-1, they take on legendary St. Anthony's on Saturday. As always, Jolly's numbers are very hard to find.

-Whitney Young defeated Orr, 69-58. Reynolds had 12. Next up is Oak Hill Academy in the Hall of Fame Hoop Classic.

-Gillmann went for 17 and 10 in a win over Seckman, adding 4 blocks. He had 19, 11, and 3 in a win over Marquette. Oakville's next game is tonight at Northwest, who is terrible.

-Bartley and MacArthur beat Eisenhower 73-41 on Tuesday. Bartley had 20. Next game is Tuesday at Danville.

-Blair Academy beat Hun 52-19 the other day. Now 10-1, they take on legendary St. Anthony's on Saturday. As always, Jolly's numbers are very hard to find.

-Whitney Young defeated Orr, 69-58. Reynolds had 12. Next up is Oak Hill Academy in the Hall of Fame Hoop Classic.

From what I could see it appears Gillmann played less than 3 quarters last night. He has nice stats and a lot of rebounds and blocks so let's hope he can put on some weight and help off the bench next year.

Gillmann's incredibly consistent, I give him that. But he's also playing against much shorter players most nights, and his skinny frame isn't the disadvantage it will be next season. My sense is that he's a skilled, smart player and that a redshirt season will go a long way. I'm just not expecting anything from him until around 2017. (Which is fine - bigs take time.)

r

Gillmann's incredibly consistent, I give him that. But he's also playing against much shorter players most nights, and his skinny frame isn't the disadvantage it will be next season. My sense is that he's a skilled, smart player and that a redshirt season will go a long way. I'm just not expecting anything from him until around 2017. (Which is fine - bigs take time.)

I think you are probably right. We can all dream about a skilled 7 footer who is skinny but bulks up to be a truly effective player--sort of like a Rob Loe but accelerated. We will need a back up to Manning next year, either Jolly or Gillmann. I really like our post players this year because we lose nothing on defense when John comes in. I do not see Reggie or Tanner giving us many minutes at the 5.

thanks. keep up with this. lot's of work, I tried to google info on Bartley and found little in half hour.

r

I think you are probably right. We can all dream about a skilled 7 footer who is skinny but bulks up to be a truly effective player--sort of like a Rob Loe but accelerated. We will need a back up to Manning next year, either Jolly or Gillmann. I really like our post players this year because we lose nothing on defense when John comes in. I do not see Reggie or Tanner giving us many minutes at the 5.

I am not sure that thinking about JM starting next year gives me much comfort - it is one thing that he spells RL 3-4 times for 3 minutes but starting and playing 30 minutes - that may be asking a bit much. I will admit that he has been a pleasant surprise for me but I really am not sure about him effectively playing big minutes next year.

Do you know what the deal is with Smith? Verbal Commits lists him as having medium interest in SLU.

He just decommitted from UNC-Greensboro when he transferred from Paul VI to Potomac (MD), so all the schools that were listed as having offered before became 'live' again for him. Prior to his UNCG commitment, he was listing up to 10 schools in quotes, and SLU wasn't one of them. I think the offer was stale before he committed, so it's back just as a formality.

I am not sure that thinking about JM starting next year gives me much comfort - it is one thing that he spells RL 3-4 times for 3 minutes but starting and playing 30 minutes - that may be asking a bit much. I will admit that he has been a pleasant surprise for me but I really am not sure about him effectively playing big minutes next year.

I will be shocked if John does not start the season next year as the starter at the 5 position. He has many months to get bigger, stronger and improve his overall game and right now he is really tough on the defensive end. I was at the Dayton game and he really made a difference. His offense is yet to blossom although I have been to practice and have seen him hit many open jump shots and baby hooks. He has the real bulk and strength necessary to battle the big strong 5 guys in the conference. I do not see Reggie or Tanner in that role--they will have their hands full with some tough 4 men. If Jolly or Gillmann can bulk up a bit and give us some effective minutes at the 5 that would be great--sort of like Mike C is doing now at the 3--he is slowly learning the defensive end of things and his poise and intensity are nice qualities, particularly for a frosh!

JM doesn't need to play 30 minutes next year. I could see Jolly possibly getting 5-10 mpg, but even more likely RA and TL playing together at the 4 and 5. Before people freak out about that lineup being too small, not every team has a good traditional big center that you have to worry about and if you go back and look at some of our lineup combinations from the previos couple of seasons, we've had guys like CE and BC playing the 4 and 5, even CE and DE at the 4 and 5 for stretches last year or CR and CE playing together.

Anybody watch the game that can tell us how he looked?

I watched it on tape and Roby is the most ready pre Billiken player on defense I have ever seen in high school. He is an excellent individual defender and a really great help defender. On offense he needs to tighten up his game he hit a beautiful 3 but missed two others and he made some excellent passes and some bad passes. He looks strong and frankly very mature but he has a ways to go on the offensive end. He will be game ready on defense with a bit of preseason training. The announcers were complimentary of Roby and of Jim Crews and the job he has done with the Billikens.

I watched it on tape and Roby is the most ready pre Billiken player on defense I have ever seen in high school. He is an excellent individual defender and a really great help defender. On offense he needs to tighten up his game he hit a beautiful 3 but missed two others and he made some excellent passes and some bad passes. He looks strong and frankly very mature but he has a ways to go on the offensive end. He will be game ready on defense with a bit of preseason training. The announcers were complimentary of Roby and of Jim Crews and the job he has done with the Billikens.

Thanks for the analysis, that kind of sounds like Jordair Jett when he came on board?

I will be shocked if John does not start the season next year as the starter at the 5 position. He has many months to get bigger, stronger and improve his overall game and right now he is really tough on the defensive end. I was at the Dayton game and he really made a difference. His offense is yet to blossom although I have been to practice and have seen him hit many open jump shots and baby hooks. He has the real bulk and strength necessary to battle the big strong 5 guys in the conference. I do not see Reggie or Tanner in that role--they will have their hands full with some tough 4 men. If Jolly or Gillmann can bulk up a bit and give us some effective minutes at the 5 that would be great--sort of like Mike C is doing now at the 3--he is slowly learning the defensive end of things and his poise and intensity are nice qualities, particularly for a frosh!

I don't doubt that he will start - all I said was that it does not give me great comfort which why next year gives me the willies. He has no real offense so the now the question is how do we score next year? - AM, hopefully AY and then take your pick since the track record is weak at this point - yes I understand someone could step up I just don't see it as being JM as of now. He has some games to change my mind but up to now he has shown he has trouble scoring inside.

He also missed two free throws. He must have watched the St. Bonaventure game to impress SLU that he would fit right in. (Just kidding)

I haven't seen Roby play in person or on tape, but I've heard that of the current players on the team, Roby would be closest to Jett in terms of playing style.

I read somewhere that he hung on the rim too long after an oop at the Bass Pro Tournament of Champions and got a technical. Sounds awesome.