HS Class of 2014 Updates

Pistol

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it on tape and Roby is the most ready pre Billiken player on defense I have ever seen in high school. He is an excellent individual defender and a really great help defender. On offense he needs to tighten up his game he hit a beautiful 3 but missed two others and he made some excellent passes and some bad passes. He looks strong and frankly very mature but he has a ways to go on the offensive end. He will be game ready on defense with a bit of preseason training. The announcers were complimentary of Roby and of Jim Crews and the job he has done with the Billikens.

-I agree with this comment on the defense shown by Davell Roby against top flight players, it would seem it would not take him long to understand our defense and the importance we place on it, he did the best job guarding the tourney MVP (who was spectacular) in the 3 games

-i agree with this comment on the offense shown by Roby, he was not forced to handle much but did ok (got a questionable 5 second call against and did dribble more than the other White Station guards when in that role) but his role was not to facilitate the offense, his shot form is not pure, he did not shoot much, when the rotation was good the shots were made, he did make some very nice passes

Thanks for the analysis, that kind of sounds like Jordair Jett when he came on board?

-let's not think of today's Jett, but that is the closest comparison i came to as well but at least a couple inches taller, IF he develops like JJ has......

I read somewhere that he hung on the rim too long after an oop at the Bass Pro Tournament of Champions and got a technical. Sounds awesome.

-he didn't so much hang it was more pull himself over the rim with no defender around so he got the T

Does he also have dreads?

-he did not this weekend

-at this point i contend he is not a go to shooter, he is a very good defender, he is over 6'2, fairly thick but wore a t-shirt so hard to really determine

-he has a junior guard teammate that would be nice to bring along, Nych Smith, smaller but a better shooter

I saw parts of two games from Roby, so this is just a snapshot impression. Looks like he is athletic enough and committed to playing defense that he could find a role next year. I saw him hit a three and his free throw stroke looked pretty good, but he doesn't appear to be a great natural scorer. It looks like that will have to develop. He has good court vision and made some nice passes. The announcers said he was the "captain" of the team. At this point more of a glue guy than a potentail star. He reminded me more of Femi than Jordair. Probably a 2/3 who could start out as a defensive stopper. The kind of guy who could guard the Khalif Wyatt/Semaj Christon type players.

Saw some video of Bartley from the Collinsville tournament. Needs a LOT of work in the weight room, but extremely quick. Excellent passer and appears to be the best suited of our recruits to be a point guard. He looks to score more than Roby. Shot some deep threes, but not a great natural shooter at this point. Pretty good taking it to the hoop.

Having seen Reynolds a couple time on the tube, he seems best suited to be a shooting guard. Good looking 3-point and free throw stroke. He doesn't seem to love defending the way Roby does.

They all seem to offer something a little different. Hopefully AM and AY form a solid tandem to give the freshmen guards some time to develop. At least two of them will need to provide some good bench minutes next year.

BTW, Reynolds is on ESPNU today and Roby will be on Jan. 25. Nice to have some players on high profile programs.

I saw parts of two games from Roby, so this is just a snapshot impression. Looks like he is athletic enough and committed to playing defense that he could find a role next year. I saw him hit a three and his free throw stroke looked pretty good, but he doesn't appear to be a great natural scorer. It looks like that will have to develop. He has good court vision and made some nice passes. The announcers said he was the "captain" of the team. At this point more of a glue guy than a potentail star. He reminded me more of Femi than Jordair. Probably a 2/3 who could start out as a defensive stopper. The kind of guy who could guard the Khalif Wyatt/Semaj Christon type players.

Saw some video of Bartley from the Collinsville tournament. Needs a LOT of work in the weight room, but extremely quick. Excellent passer and appears to be the best suited of our recruits to be a point guard. He looks to score more than Roby. Shot some deep threes, but not a great natural shooter at this point. Pretty good taking it to the hoop.

Having seen Reynolds a couple time on the tube, he seems best suited to be a shooting guard. Good looking 3-point and free throw stroke. He doesn't seem to love defending the way Roby does.

They all seem to offer something a little different. Hopefully AM and AY form a solid tandem to give the freshmen guards some time to develop. At least two of them will need to provide some good bench minutes next year.

BTW, Reynolds is on ESPNU today and Roby will be on Jan. 25. Nice to have some players on high profile programs.

Interestingly, the guy I thought of was TLIII. I'm not suggesting he is/will be as good as Tommie, but that he has a similar smoothness and length about him that reminded me of him.

Because of the team he plays for and the high level of competition, I find it difficult to evaluate how good he is and compare to other D-1 players currently in high-school. There is just too much balance and depth on his team. Including Roby, White Station has something like four division 1 recruits, with two top 100 recruits. I'm sure they also have a bunch of juniors who will also be high-end D-1 recruits. It's just difficult to compare a player who is more of a role player on a great high school team and plays against other top high schools in the country to one who's putting up 25 and 10 in the Suburban East (is that still a conference?).

With McBroom, Yacoubou, and Crawford potentially getting the majority of the time at the guard positions, I hope a niche will open up for Roby and Reynolds/Bartley to play 10-15 minutes per game as the 4th and 5th guards.

For those who have seen Roby/Bartley/Reynolds play (I have not)...who is the best offensively?

With McBroom, Yacoubou, and Crawford potentially getting the majority of the time at the guard positions, I hope a niche will open up for Roby and Reynolds/Bartley to play 10-15 minutes per game as the 4th and 5th guards.

For those who have seen Roby/Bartley/Reynolds play (I have not)...who is the best offensively?

Bartley, I'd suspect. I don't believe he plays alongside a bunch of D1 recruits and is likely one of his team's go to guys. But just a guess on my part. Has his team been on ESPN?

My impression is Reynolds.

JM doesn't need to play 30 minutes next year. I could see Jolly possibly getting 5-10 mpg, but even more likely RA and TL playing together at the 4 and 5. Before people freak out about that lineup being too small, not every team has a good traditional big center that you have to worry about and if you go back and look at some of our lineup combinations from the previos couple of seasons, we've had guys like CE and BC playing the 4 and 5, even CE and DE at the 4 and 5 for stretches last year or CR and CE playing together.

+1 Reggie would tower over Donnie Dobbs.

We heard the same thing about Barnett - hopefully AY really does pan out.

Jake is currently the best 3P% shooter on the team that was on the roster when those comments were made. Last year Jake was the second best 3P% shooter on the team (way) behind MM. He hasn't been as good as advertised, but he has been one of the best pure shooters on the team the last two seasons. We just haven't been a good 3P% team to begin with.

Edit: Actually last year Jake's % would leave him tied for 2nd best with Cody and Jordair, not alone for 2nd best.

Jake is currently the best 3P% shooter on the team that was on the roster when those comments were made. Last year Jake was the second best 3P% shooter on the team (way) behind MM. He hasn't been as good as advertised, but he has been one of the best pure shooters on the team the last two seasons. We just haven't been a good 3P% team to begin with.

Edit: Actually last year Jake's % would leave him tied for 2nd best with Cody and Jordair, not alone for 2nd best.

I gotta believe that once a player gets comfy in a particular system he will succeed at whatever his particular role is. JB finally looks comfy in the system and understands what his role is. His shot (and defense) have looked good in the last couple of games. He finally looks like he is letting the game come to him, reacting naturally within the confines of our system and not pressing offensively or defensively.

If Ash finds his comfort zone in Coach Crews' system, then his shot will be fine.

-Gillmann had 17 and 7 against Northwest, and added 2 blocks. He's now averaging 20.5 points, 12.1 rebounds, and 4.2 blocks on 65.4% shooting.

-I'm not seeing anything online about the MacArthur-Danville game yet. Should just be getting over.

-Jolly's Blair team lost to St. Anthony's 45-38 in the Dan Finn Classic. Former SLU recruit (and still uncommitted) Tarin Smith plays PG for St. Anthony's. He's supposed to decide soon, and we might see more of him (UMass, Fordham, Rhode Island, Providence, and Creighton are all in the mix). Smith had 15, Jolly had 2. I'm not sure Jolly's logging many minutes.

-You guys already covered the Oak Hill-Whitney Young game, in which Reynolds scored 13 in a close win. They play at Farragut tomorrow night (1/22).

-In the Bass Pro Tournament of Champions, White Station took down Wesleyan Christian (NC) and Paul VI (VA) before finally losing to the nation's #1 team, Montverde Academy, in the final. Roby had 7, 3, and 7, respectively. 16-1 White Station should just be wrapping up against conference foe Overton right about now.

I'll update on Roby and Bartley in the morning, as any info is available.

-Gillmann had 17 and 7 against Northwest, and added 2 blocks. He's now averaging 20.5 points, 12.1 rebounds, and 4.2 blocks on 65.4% shooting.

-I'm not seeing anything online about the MacArthur-Danville game yet. Should just be getting over.

-Jolly's Blair team lost to St. Anthony's 45-38 in the Dan Finn Classic. Former SLU recruit (and still uncommitted) Tarin Smith plays PG for St. Anthony's. He's supposed to decide soon, and we might see more of him (UMass, Fordham, Rhode Island, Providence, and Creighton are all in the mix). Smith had 15, Jolly had 2. I'm not sure Jolly's logging many minutes.

-You guys already covered the Oak Hill-Whitney Young game, in which Reynolds scored 13 in a close win. They play at Farragut tomorrow night (1/22).

-In the Bass Pro Tournament of Champions, White Station took down Wesleyan Christian (NC) and Paul VI (VA) before finally losing to the nation's #1 team, Montverde Academy, in the final. Roby had 7, 3, and 7, respectively. 16-1 White Station should just be wrapping up against conference foe Overton right about now.

I'll update on Roby and Bartley in the morning, as any info is available.

Pardon the ignorance, but what is the deal with "former SLU recruit" Tarin Smith? Did we pass on him or did he pass on us?

Yeah, they're an awesome HS team. No shame in losing to the #1 team in the country by 7.

The video on Roby is great. He's got a great frame and plays with a lot of poise. Seeing comparisons above to both Jett and Liddell makes sense; neither of those guys ever look the least bit shaken (Tommie, maybe to an extreme degree). Roby has that same demeanor on the floor. Totally unselfish, totally cool, totally fine with not being "the man" out there when he would be the star of most other HS teams. At least that's my scouting report on a pretty small sample size.

Yeah, they're an awesome HS team. No shame in losing to the #1 team in the country by 7.

The video on Roby is great. He's got a great frame and plays with a lot of poise. Seeing comparisons above to both Jett and Liddell makes sense; neither of those guys ever look the least bit shaken (Tommie, maybe to an extreme degree). Roby has that same demeanor on the floor. Totally unselfish, totally cool, totally fine with not being "the man" out there when he would be the star of most other HS teams. At least that's my scouting report on a pretty small sample size.

I've seen a lot of comparisons between Roby and Jordair. Kid makes defense a priority. He'll fit in well here. Plus, he's a legit 6'4.

Roby had 15pts 12rebs and 4asst tonight in a win

Pardon the ignorance, but what is the deal with "former SLU recruit" Tarin Smith? Did we pass on him or did he pass on us?

With Roby committing, then Bartley, then Reynolds, we went our separate ways. Although if I'm not mistaken, SLU's coaches were keeping tabs on him for quite a while, maybe even after we had Bartley on board. I think he's going to be a very, very nice college player. Maybe not a star, but a nice PG who will fit in well at a lot of the programs he's looking at.