RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, brianstl said:

I miss courtside.  

I don't consider Courtside a troll at all. In fact I've had some good soccer discussions with him. I wouldn't consider MB a troll ... and I can lay claim to the 1st MB style post on the board. Postcard was a troll, backcountry wasn't smart enough to troll ( Box's backcountry post still has to be the best post on the board ) This last jackoff we had (can't remember his name) was a troll

54 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Allen would be a fantastic complement to Goodwin. Top of my wishlist 

I'd be happy if we signed Allen too, but I wonder if he'd be a priority. Remember, in the time since we were recruiting him, Ty Graves transferred in. Both are undersized guards with good shooting ability.

3 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I'd be happy if we signed Allen too, but I wonder if he'd be a priority. Remember, in the time since we were recruiting him, Ty Graves transferred in. Both are undersized guards with good shooting ability.

Good point. I remember Allen being billed as one of the best pure shooters in his class. Not sure how renowned Graves' ability is in comparison. Is Graves a better shooter than say, McBroom?

3 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Good point. I remember Allen being billed as one of the best pure shooters in his class. Not sure how renowned Graves' ability is in comparison. Is Graves a better shooter than say, McBroom?

Don't know. Cusumano has suggested he is a good shooter, but that's all I have. Given the fact that we've had an abundance of poor shooters the last 3 years, I'm all for having as many people as possible who can put the ball in the basket.

4 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Don't know. Cusumano has suggested he is a good shooter, but that's all I have. Given the fact that we've had an abundance of poor shooters the last 3 years, I'm all for having as many people as possible who can put the ball in the basket.

I've heard Ford call him an elite shooter, but it's possible he might be hyping up his recruits.

2 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Graves took 50 shots while playing for the BC Eagles.  He made 19.  That's 38%.  Of those 50 shots, 33 were from 3 point line, and he hit 12.  That's 36%.  Only 3 of 5 from  the FT line, so he didn't get fouled much (only 17 of his shots weren't 3 point shots).  All of these were in pre-conference games, so they were against mostly 'lesser' opponents.  His best two games were 5 of 8 against Nichols State and 5 of 7 against Dartmouth.  Hard to compare this small sample size against anyone's full season.  But, listing Graves at 38% / 36%, here is how he compares with this past season's guards.  Bishop was 37% / 36% , Moore 37% / 39%, Roby 40% / 38%, and Hines 32% / 31%.  Henriquez was 39% / 36% in his last year at UCF.

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Graves took 50 shots while playing for the BC Eagles.  He made 19.  That's 38%.  Of those 50 shots, 33 were from 3 point line, and he hit 12.  That's 36%.  Only 3 of 5 from  the FT line, so he didn't get fouled much (only 17 of his shots weren't 3 point shots).  All of these were in pre-conference games, so they were against mostly 'lesser' opponents.  His best two games were 5 of 8 against Nichols State and 5 of 7 against Dartmouth.  Hard to compare this small sample size against anyone's full season.  But, listing Graves at 38% / 36%, here is how he compares with this past season's guards.  Bishop was 37% / 36% , Moore 37% / 39%, Roby 40% / 38%, and Hines 32% / 31%.  Henriquez was 39% / 36% in his last year at UCF.

Yea I'm not going to put much stock in sample that size. Was wondering more about his reputation coming out of HS. Perhaps I'll look 

IMG_9137.PNG

IMG_9138.PNG

It looks like he's know more for his handles than his shooting (based on nothing but the above write-ups), but in the video below he has a nice looking jumper. Probably another one of the "has the ability to knock down the three" guys as opposed to a pure shooter like Allen. The video below makes him look like a really fun player to watch.. shifty is an apt desciption. 

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

The late great Joe Strauss called it #SmallSampleSizeTheater

TY GRAVES
Position: Guard
Height: 6-0
Weight: 165
Hometown: Greensboro, N.C.
High School: High Point Christian Academy

Basketball Bio
Led High Point Christian Academy to a 24-6 record and the NCISAA Class 3-A championship game as a senior … averaged 11.2 points and 2.2 assists per game … shot .419 from the field and .376 from beyond the arc … HPCA was ranked as high as No. 12 in the country in USA Today's Super 25 poll … played his junior season at Montverde Academy in Florida, which won the national championship that year … led Page High School to the NCHSAA Class 4-A semifinals as a sophomore … played AAU with the Karolina Diamonds.

12 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

TY GRAVES
Position: Guard
Height: 6-0
Weight: 165
Hometown: Greensboro, N.C.
High School: High Point Christian Academy

Basketball Bio
Led High Point Christian Academy to a 24-6 record and the NCISAA Class 3-A championship game as a senior … averaged 11.2 points and 2.2 assists per game … shot .419 from the field and .376 from beyond the arc … HPCA was ranked as high as No. 12 in the country in USA Today's Super 25 poll … played his junior season at Montverde Academy in Florida, which won the national championship that year … led Page High School to the NCHSAA Class 4-A semifinals as a sophomore … played AAU with the Karolina Diamonds.

I watched him in several practices and I thought he had one of the best pure shooting releases I have ever seen from any Billiken guard. He must have been working on it for some time and most balls went in with a nice swish from 3. I hope it can translate into great shooting in games!

17 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

General recruiting question:

Why isn't SLU recruiting more in Memphis? The city has a ton of basketball talent, their program is down, and they are within the regional scope of the city.

I would love to see some Memphis players follow in the steps of Roby.

Different coaches have different preferences on where to recruit. It most likely comes down to recruiting connections among assistant coaches. It doesn't seem like anyone on our staff has much experience in Memphis

Ford is a B12 level recruiter, he can go anywhere. Next year out of 6 new players, 1 will be from STL area. Out of Ford's 7 recruits on the court next year, again only 1 from STL (Goodwin). Ford can and will go where the talent is, playing local is just his best sell for the top level guys we would compete against the likes of Duke and Kansas

3 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

General recruiting question:

Why isn't SLU recruiting more in Memphis? The city has a ton of basketball talent, their program is down, and they are within the regional scope of the city.

I would love to see some Memphis players follow in the steps of Roby.

It's very hard to get top 150 Memphis players out of Memphis.  Historically, the University of Memphis and the SEC have a lock on that city.  The cultural connections to those schools is very strong. 

We have a shot at top 300 players like Roby because they are either backup options for those schools or they don't get offered at all.  But Coach Ford can get top 300 players anywhere.  He doesn't need to build a pipeline to Memphis to do that. The staff's time is better spent leveraging their connections in areas where they've already had success.

47 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's very hard to get top 150 Memphis players out of Memphis.  Historically, the University of Memphis and the SEC have a lock on that city.  The cultural connections to those schools is very strong. 

We have a shot at top 300 players like Roby because they are either backup options for those schools or they don't get offered at all.  But Coach Ford can get top 300 players anywhere.  He doesn't need to build a pipeline to Memphis to do that. The staff's time is better spent leveraging their connections in areas where they've already had success.

Good stuff here thanks 

For those who follow high school basketball more than I do, have you seen a player from the area come out of nowhere like Mark Smith? Was he known as a basketball player before this season, and just ignored because he was thought to be a baseball player? For me, I think of Ruben Cotto, the kid from Alton who came out of nowhere to become a star as a senior and committed to SLU, only to play for one semester and leave. Not saying Smith is going to pull a Cotto, but is he as good as the praise he's received?