Justin Tatum vs TL and RA what might we expect?

GOSLU68

Justin Tatum joined us as Sophomore 6-7 and 235 pounds after being on a Florida team where he saw little action as a freshman.

Correction : Guy Phillips called me to say Tatum came in late as a freshman but lost a semester of eligibilty and Jamal Johnson was the player who was a big coming in as a Sophomore after not getting much time on a Florida college basketball team. Guy is busy memorizing new names other than Dwight so he hopes I research more and write less often when awaking from naps.

Anyone having other corrections want to pile on? It doesn't bother me if some of you are frozen into inaction if the setting isn't perfect. Now get on with your lives.

Stat Summary:

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG

2000-01 31 23.2 8.9 45.6 20.0 50.7 0.6 5.1 0.9 0.5

1999-00 32 24.5 8.3 46.3 0.0 52.9 1.1 6.0 0.9 0.9

1998-99 22 19.4 7.2 40.7 33.3 58.7 0.5 4.5 1.2 0.5

Career 85 22.7 8.2 44.6 16.6 53.3 0.7 5.3 1.0 0.7

We all saw him as a welcome addition and certainly an important rebounder and finisher.

Without seeing Tanner and Reggie play yet we could expect at least this level of additional firepower from each of them. Both are reportedly a little taller and RA is supposed to be as big maybe 240 pounds.

1998-99 Tatum was a sophomore; he had one semester of eligibility left when Romar cut him loose; I think he played a full senior year at less than Division I level, elsewhere.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Tatum joined us as Sophomore 6-7 and 235 pounds after being on a Florida team where he saw little action as a freshman.

Florida??? As I recall, Tatum committed to SLU with Hughes, Baniak, and Heinrich, but didn't qualify academically. I thought it was a problem with achieving the required ACT/SAT score.

Tatum was a billiken from day 1 out of cbc but had to sit because of academics. 68 is rewriting history sending him to florida for a year.

Jamal Johnson was at FL before coming to SLU if I remember correctly.....

Probably what he is confused with.

I can't say much for TL but as for RA when I spoke to his AAU Coach 2 weeks ago he stated that his actual measurements are now 6ft 7.75in and current weight at 250lbs. That 250 is not fat either! JC said 248 in last interview describing RA.

He has been training at SLU since late May except for his 3 week break in Buffalo-NY during July and is in the best shape of his life. According to him RA is faster and stronger than he has ever been. His mid/long range shooting touch is developing very well. RA adds muscle easily because he is the smallest sized guy in his Ashanti family line in terms of weight. They naturally run 290 to 350+ @ about 6ft 3 to 5 inches. We are expecting a freshman but you will soon realize you have a "Ashanti man" in the game that cannot be guarded by one player.

What do you think happens in a game when DE and RA are in at the same time. Should be obvious to folks on here by now that RA is a bigger and stronger version of DE with some serious guard like handles, hops, and a arsenal of post moves . Loves the short inside game and punishment that so many bigs run from. He rebounds out of his area lest you forget averaged 15rpg in HS (game high 29), 14rpg in prep school (game high 22) and is a beast on the offensive glass. Now college should be more fun with his increased speed, size, and strength!

RA is a MAN who has the tools to outdo those Tatum numbers mentioned earlier. I predict ?78%$@^*("!. You will see soon enough!

I can't say much for TL but as for RA when I spoke to his AAU Coach 2 weeks ago he stated that his actual measurements are now 6ft 7.75in and current weight at 250lbs. That 250 is not fat either! JC said 248 in last interview describing RA.

He has been training at SLU since late May except for his 3 week break in Buffalo-NY during July and is in the best shape of his life. According to him RA is faster and stronger than he has ever been. His mid/long range shooting touch is developing very well. RA adds muscle easily because he is the smallest sized guy in his Ashanti family line in terms of weight. They naturally run 290 to 350+ @ about 6ft 3 to 5 inches. We are expecting a freshman but you will soon realize you have a "Ashanti man" in the game that cannot be guarded by one player.

What do you think happens in a game when DE and RA are in at the same time. Should be obvious to folks on here by now that RA is a bigger and stronger version of DE with some serious guard like handles, hops, and a arsenal of post moves . Loves the short inside game and punishment that so many bigs run from. He rebounds out of his area lest you forget averaged 15rpg in HS (game high 29), 14rpg in prep school (game high 22) and is a beast on the offensive glass. Now college should be more fun with his increased speed, size, and strength!

RA is a MAN who has the tools to outdo those Tatum numbers mentioned earlier. I predict ?78%$@^*("!. You will see soon enough!

To quote Jimbo: HATE HATE HATE HATE MAD HATE....love it! Great post!

Ok, get over it I got Jamal Johnson and Tatum confused; the real point I was making is we were a weak team rebounding last year. Our guards were physical- CR, RL, JM, CE were not. Hopefully, TL is Like Conklin and RA is a werewolf. Cody Ellis flopping did not make him a physical rebounder.

I knew Tatum was supposed to have a semester of eligibilty left and facing a coach who did not want him, he went to McKendree for a full senior year.

Tatum had more influence on rebounding not too much as a scorer.

Please look for errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation and of course any minor irrelevant history or timing errors rather than enjoying the prospect of a real men's basketball squad capable of defeating Big 10 and Big East teams with our new recruits and J Crews style as a Bob Knight protoge'.

Who do you remember who came in and rebounded as a freshman?

Ok, get over it I got Jamal Johnson and Tatum confused; the real point I was making is we were a weak team rebounding last year. Our guards were physical- CR, RL, JM, CE were not. Hopefully, TL is Like Conklin and RA is a werewolf. Cody Ellis flopping did not make him a physical rebounder.

I knew Tatum was supposed to have a semester of eligibilty left and facing a coach who did not want him, he went to McKendree for a full senior year.

Tatum had more influence on rebounding not too much as a scorer.

Please look for errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation and of course any minor irrelevant history or timing errors rather than enjoying the prospect of a real men's basketball squad capable of defeating Big 10 and Big East teams with our new recruits and J Crews style as a Bob Knight protoge'.

Who do you remember who came in and rebounded as a freshman?

TLIII - 6.9 RPG as a freshman. 2nd on team to Vouyoukas that season.

Willie Reed - 4.6 RPG as a freshman. 2nd on team to TLIII that season.

Cody Ellis - 4.9 RPG as a freshman. 2nd on team to Willie Reed that season.

Dwayne Evans - 6.5 RPG as a freshman. Led the team that season.