Boston Celtics hire new coach! — Brad Stevens

Since NB has signed a LOI at Butler, wouldn't he be treated as a transfer and have to sit for a year? If so, then this point has been completely ignored in this thread.

Not necessarily, SLU released Ryan Hollins from his signed LOI after Romar left and he was eligible immediately and didn't have to sit out at UCLA.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the NCAA allows a kid to back out of his commitment if the HC departs. Not saying it's a solid rule, but it's happened before. Now if Butler were still in the A-10 I'm not so sure he could switch to SLU. Maybe a blessing in disguise we didn't get in this go around. Small consolation, but he'd be a nice get.

He would not have to sit out a year unless Butler refuses to let him out of his LOI. Or unless he participates in any sort of exhibition games.

They gave a guy the boot in August of last year so I doubt they'd challenge it much.

This shocked me at first. Stevens was signed through 2022 and appeared to be a Butler lifer. Had a good thing going there, getting paid well, hometown guy, very secure job and not as high-pressure as the next level of NCAA jobs, heading to a new, better conference. But $3.6 million/year is hard to turn down.

For Boston, they're paying a guy half as much to lose games with a bunch of young players for the foreseeable future than had they kept Doc Rivers and his $7 million/year contract. If Stevens is a bust, well, they weren't going to be good for a while, anyway. But they think Stevens is the guy to rebuild the Celtics in his image. Stand-up guy, not a guy who gets carried away with emotion. Very cerebral, level-headed, cool. It actually makes sense as a relatively inexpensive gamble from the Celtics' standpoint. Now it comes down to two things: how good can they be in the upcoming drafts, and can Stevens manage NBA egos?

I honestly didn't even think about Nolan Berry until reading this thread just now. If Butler releases him from his LOI, he will be eligible immediately as a freshman this fall. If that happens, I'm curious to see whether he's interested in SLU and vice-versa. With Lancona and Agbeko, that's a crowded class of forwards. Granted, they're all totally different players, but it's worth considering.

Ainge's courtship of Stevens began three years ago during Butler's magical run to the NCAA championship game. According to Zak Keefer of the Indy Star, Ainge called the Depauw alum the "best coach in college basketball."

Doing some "I'm bored" searches for SLU news on twitter and I came across these gems. I do not post these because I think it is a possibility. I post them to poke fun at some wacked-out Butler fans (who are admittedly in the minority):

The name that, to me, makes sense for Butler is probably a coach who has no interest in leaving his current job: Jim Crews.

@dandakich get Butler on the line and tell them to give Jim Crews a call!! Indiana ties, beat them twice.. Can coach "Butler" players

If I'm Butler, Jim Crews is my first call. Great track record and understands the Butler way @dandakich @eddiewhite3

I hadn't heard Crews even mentioned as a possibility, but I guess there are a few delusional Butler fans out there who want him. First of all, Crews isn't going anywhere. He was just named as the "official" head coach at SLU a few months ago and why would he make a lateral move to Butler? He probably has more fun kicking the pants off Butler teams than he would playing 4th fiddle to IU, Purdue, and ND in Indiana again. Second, he doesn't seem to fit as the type of coach Butler usually hires. I'm not sure how he would "understand the Butler way". Other than having coached in Indiana over a decade ago, he has no ties to Butler at all. Butler usually hires former assistants or former players and they usually hire younger.

Doing some "I'm bored" searches for SLU news on twitter and I came across these gems. I do not post these because I think it is a possibility. I post them to poke fun at some wacked-out Butler fans (who are admittedly in the minority):

The name that, to me, makes sense for Butler is probably a coach who has no interest in leaving his current job: Jim Crews.

@dandakich get Butler on the line and tell them to give Jim Crews a call!! Indiana ties, beat them twice.. Can coach "Butler" players

If I'm Butler, Jim Crews is my first call. Great track record and understands the Butler way @dandakich @eddiewhite3

I hadn't heard Crews even mentioned as a possibility, but I guess there are a few delusional Butler fans out there who want him. First of all, Crews isn't going anywhere. He was just named as the "official" head coach at SLU a few months ago and why would he make a lateral move to Butler? He probably has more fun kicking the pants off Butler teams than he would playing 4th fiddle to IU, Purdue, and ND in Indiana again. Second, he doesn't seem to fit as the type of coach Butler usually hires. I'm not sure how he would "understand the Butler way". Other than having coached in Indiana over a decade ago, he has no ties to Butler at all. Butler usually hires former assistants or former players and they usually hire younger.

I could see them placing a local call to Todd Lickliter, who is back in Indy at Marian University. Unless TL burned every bridge imaginable when he jumped ship to Iowa City.E

EDIT:::: http://www.indystar.com/article/20130704/SPORTS0605/307040028/Butler-basketball-coaching-search-is-down-to-Brandon-Miller-and-LaVall-Jordan

BWeix asked Berry is he was staying, and he replied with "Yes I am."

So that's that. No more speculation.

Have fun in the Basement of the BEast, Berry. Alliteration aside, he's making the wrong decision staying there.

@cheese (above) --- I know what you are saying and I semi-agree. The difference is the Butler's good past was rooted partially in the Horizon Conference --- where they consistently went up against the likes of Youngstown State, Cleveland State, Oakland and Illinois-Chicago. In that contest, Rotnei Clarke can be a point guard and Rosie Jones can double as a point guard AND power forward. That didn't work so well against us, VCU, Xavier and even La Salle. Can it play out against Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova and some of the new conference bretheren? Count me in the camp that says no.

Sure, eventually that same system and league got them to back-to-back finals but by the 20th game of the year, the system is in place and roles are defined and some of the BCS attitude of "who are these punks" come into play. Twice to a final was amazing. Also amazing it was Butler. Now? Do all the four- and five-star players even sniff at Butler now that Stevens is gone? Again, only time will tell. I say no.

Taj. Totally agree. Every team has their up and down years. The really special programs, though, still find a way to win - somehow - when it is their down year. In a better conference, this become much tougher. For instance, no doubt in my mind that Butler would have won the Horizon last year, made the Tourney yet again but more importantly kept that mystique going. Instead, they played in the A10, lost 8 regular season games (getting blown out several times), did make the Tourney (and with superior coaching, did win their first round game) but no mystique.

Now, without Stevens, the road ahead looks much tougher. As good as Butler has been/is, Marquette and GTown are already way ahead of Butler. And to answer the prior poster, finishing in the top half of the new Big East will be the end of the Butler that people have come to know and admire. In fact, coming in 3rd, 4th or 5th in a 10 team conference sounds alot like our Billikens in the Great Midwest and Conf USA days. No, it's all about winning and the Tourney.

And again, superior conferences provide the head coach an additional item to sell to recruits (the opportunity to play big time, "name" teams on TV) but do NOT sell themselves. Just ask DePaul and the bottom feeders in EVERY superior or BCS conference. And once down, it is much harder to rise to the top again.

When Berry committed so early to Butler, I said that SLU would likely soon be better than Butler... check SLU better than Butler the last two seasons AND I said Stevens likely would not be his coach... check.

Berry will get to play in the new BE, which is a plus, but I'm not sure why he committed to Butler so early. As we have seen, things can change very quickly in college basketball.

As for Stevens, I hope we can schedule the Celtics three times... I'm sure Crews would like to have three more victories. ;)

Stevens teams don't have to win with junk defenses and the press, like Pitino. Stevens also seems to treat players like men, unlike, say, Steve Spurrier. Stevens would have a hard time getting the on and dones at Butler because that doesn't seem like his personality to cater to egos like other coaches.

That being said, I don't know how successful he will be.

On a sad note, if he does succeed at the pro-level, Mike K of Duke may hold the record for most wins by a college coach until I am dead.

Butler should have already been Not Applicable (N/A) for the new Big East. And even with Coach Stevens on the sideline, SLU 3-peated against Butler in '13 and is 19-11 all-time vs. Butler. Without Coach Stevens, perhaps those real Butler Bulldog mascots will need to make another visit to their Georgetown counterparts, up on high in D.C., to explain the situation. "But we didn't know Coach Stevens was going to leave when we were here in February."

I think having Rajon Rondo alleviates that.... Pressey will not see much time. Rondo played 37 mpg last year. with Jason Terry on the team. His minutes will only increase.

true, but phil has been playing better early on in the summer camps, much better then people thought he would do. avg like 11 5 & 3

Pressey will be a long shot to even make the Celtics roster. Just because he is playing summer pro league doesn't men the Celtics are going to actually sign him for the regular season. The Celtics will also be inviting Nolan Smith to training camp along with Darius Johnson-Odom. Both of those guys will be competing with Pressey for the same spot.

Pressey is surely working on his portugese as he will likely be playing in Brazil not Boston