Boston Celtics hire new coach! — Brad Stevens

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevens is a totally different situation than Pitino. Comes from a different background and is for more willing to adjust himself to the NBA game than Pitino. Stevens will win at the next level.

Boston is in a total rebuilding mode. They will not win for a couple of years. How much time will they give Stevens? I wouldn't bet a whole lot of money that he will be there in 3 years.

I don't get that Stevens is such a hot commodity but that's just me. I don't see him being a great hire but if Lawrence Frank and the van Gundy's are, who's to argue. I think it's a blah hire that hurts Butler tons more and means little if anything to the Celtics in the long run.

1000000+

I find it hilarious that the teams that got in instead of us are going to suck in two years. Butler and Creighton, when McDermott is gone, will be huge regrets for the Catholic 7. I'm not convinced, now, that the A-10 can't be better at the top than the new Big East.

BTW, off the wall, crazy thought here, but doesn't Crews have a home in Indianapolis. He was just the national coach of the year runner up, and a team with some decent talent and one that is going to play in the Big East needs a coach. I don't think he would entertain leaving, but . . . . anyone think we have reason for concern?

BTW, off the wall, crazy thought here, but doesn't Crews have a home in Indianapolis. He was just the national coach of the year runner up, and a team with some decent talent and one that is going to play in the Big East needs a coach. I don't think he would entertain leaving, but . . . . anyone think we have reason for concern?

No. They will go with a young coach that was a former player/assistant at Butler. Barry Collier would name himself coach before Crews as coach, he is younger than Crews.

Low risk/High reward move by Ainge. Not sure how much of a coach Stevens will be in the NBA. Very different from coaching college. Many have tried, few have succeeded. He'll be better than Lawrence Frank but 6 years of losing may grind him out of the NBA. Because the Celtics won't be winning before then.

Ainge and the Celtics front office will be the problem. There is a movement to downgrade coaches in the NBA and give the front office more of a say in rotations, playing time, even play calling using analytics. While this works in some other sports it won't for basketball. Stevens is a test case for this. The system will fail, but Stevens as a coach will take the blame. Ainge is not smart enough to pull this off.

Butler may not reach championship heights again, but they may not have anyway, but they have a foundation to continue to be successful. They'll be consistently in the top half of the new Big East.

In the short term Stevens has been tearing up our recruiting territory for a couple years. Now is the time for Crews to step in and take it back. Berry may go somewhere else but I doubt if it will be SLU. Jones isn't going anywhere either.

I'd bet he'd come if we built that statue of his granddad outside the Fetz. Shocked by Stevens move. Moreso, because he'd leave. He seemed happy at BU. I think the Celts are figuring they'll have a bunch of kids playing and Stevens can relate to them. I sure hope this turns out Berry Berry good for us.

Butler will be so-so, maybe even ca-ca, in a few yrs. Probably so-so. Then Shaka will leave VCU someday, and the same for them.

It is the fate of most all mid majors... coaches come and they go, Hobbs.

Sure, some programs have staying power (Zags, X, a few others), but most falter after their big run.

To be fair Butler has been through 3 coaching tenures and stayed good for some time - will it continue - who knows but to say that Butler may not have staying power is not totally accurate. This is a tough spot for Butler - who do you get now and apparently they were blindsided or else they would have tried to keep the asst who left for S. AL

@cheese (above) --- I know what you are saying and I semi-agree. The difference is the Butler's good past was rooted partially in the Horizon Conference --- where they consistently went up against the likes of Youngstown State, Cleveland State, Oakland and Illinois-Chicago. In that contest, Rotnei Clarke can be a point guard and Rosie Jones can double as a point guard AND power forward. That didn't work so well against us, VCU, Xavier and even La Salle. Can it play out against Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova and some of the new conference bretheren? Count me in the camp that says no.

Sure, eventually that same system and league got them to back-to-back finals but by the 20th game of the year, the system is in place and roles are defined and some of the BCS attitude of "who are these punks" come into play. Twice to a final was amazing. Also amazing it was Butler. Now? Do all the four- and five-star players even sniff at Butler now that Stevens is gone? Again, only time will tell. I say no.

I like that Berry said he's keeping his options open. NB phone home!

Now what are Butler's options? No doubt the appeal of the Beast is a big draw, but this is really late to bring in a top tier coach. My guess is they'll look inside first. Finding nothing, they'll have to look for a big time AC. Has Duke still got Collins? How about Calipari's AC?

Not necessarily. If Berry comes to SLU, they could redshirt Gillmann. Berry would then be a junior in Gillmann's first year of eligibility.

Since NB has signed a LOI at Butler, wouldn't he be treated as a transfer and have to sit for a year? If so, then this point has been completely ignored in this thread.