Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the ultimatum is necessary. If it's a deal where we were wanted to know if we need to cut our losses and move on, then maybe. During this wait, we have brought in or will bring in other recruits. If we offer another recruit and they decide to come to SLU, then it's too bad for Randy. If someone else commits before him, he can go to Miami, Tennessee, or whatever other school shows interest in him. The only reason to give him any more notice would be if the staff clearly thinks that Randy is a better option, and wants to give him one last chance before someone else commits.

I think that is what some of us are saying - move on if another recruit says he wants to sign and we want him. Of course if you have no other player ready to commit then you wait but I would be telling RO that the schollie will go to the next guy we offer who says yes.

Saw the Billiken staff as well as Barnett and Manning in Pappy's accompanied by Paul Jesperson. Interesting that the two players they had with Jesperson were Barnett and Manning.

JM looks like he has gotten stronger in the offseason.

Barnett would make sense. He's from Wisconsin, as is Jesperson. It's possible they might know each other, or at least might know some common people.

Barnett would make sense. He's from Wisconsin, as is Jesperson. It's possible they might know each other, or at least might know some common people.

And manning is from Virginia, so he might be able to speak to moving from Virginia to SLU?

It is hard to make any ultimatums in recruiting, but especially this time of year. Some guys are wrapping up finals and looking to transfer (see Myke Henry at UIUC.) Some HS guys are deciding between prep school and a lower offer than they would have liked. A scholarship could open at any of the 300+ schools next week that wasn't available today. There is just way too much fluidity in the spring signing period.

Luckily SLU seems to have 2 good recruits in the Spring already with 1 more available. There is always a chance of a good talent getting left without a seat when the BCS music stops.

There is a kid in my fraternity who I've become pretty good friends with who is also on the Vanderbilt basketball team. Whenever a white guy visits, he and the other two white players on the team are charged with showing him around. I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

But yes the Virginia and Wisconsin connections also could be in play.

We only have one pg on our roster for 2014. I don't know if RO is the answer to our future pg concerns, but I'd rather have a fairly talented 6'3" pg in our system for a year than rely on a freshman backup to McBroom (in 2014).

Also, it seems you are downgrading RO's talent based on his delay in making a decision and desire to look at potentially bigger schools. I think he has the talent to be a good pg at SLU. But as someone raised earlier, the biggest thing I'd be concerned about his commitment to SLU.

How do any of us know if he has the talent to be a good pg at SLU? He may, he may not. I don't know - I'd guess 50% chance though.

Anyways, I agree that all things being equal, a pg would be preferable, but it seems almost likely that all things are not equal and the transfers are a notch above in terms of talent (as evidenced by greater interest from more high-level schools, etc.).

All that said, I'd be happy with any of these 4 and am glad the staff is covering their bases. Hopefully, they get plan A (not sure who that is), but if not, plans B, C, or D would all be solid gets.

There is a kid in my fraternity who I've become pretty good friends with who is also on the Vanderbilt basketball team. Whenever a white guy visits, he and the other two white players on the team are charged with showing him around. I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

But yes the Virginia and Wisconsin connections also could be in play.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid making that suggestion, but that's a valid one too.

How do any of us know if he has the talent to be a good pg at SLU? He may, he may not. I don't know - I'd guess 50% chance though.

Anyways, I agree that all things being equal, a pg would be preferable, but it seems almost likely that all things are not equal and the transfers are a notch above in terms of talent (as evidenced by greater interest from more high-level schools, etc.).

All that said, I'd be happy with any of these 4 and am glad the staff is covering their bases. Hopefully, they get plan A (not sure who that is), but if not, plans B, C, or D would all be solid gets.

Thanks for pinning it down for us Shoe

It's definitely an art and not a science. I'll trust Crews and Co. to make the appropriate determination. Agree that I'd be happy with any of the four.

I agree. We've brought him in for a visit, we've visited him out in Cali. If he wants to come here, great, but aside from the fact that he'd have 2 more years of eligibility than the transfers, I see Randy as an equal level recruit at best to any of the transfer targets. Let's get the 4th recruit signed up and move on to 2014.

Just because we don't know or are obsessed about the 2013 class doesn't mean that the staff isn't already in good with several c/o 2014 recruits.

Saw the Billiken staff as well as Barnett and Manning in Pappy's accompanied by Paul Jesperson. Interesting that the two players they had with Jesperson were Barnett and Manning.

JM looks like he has gotten stronger in the offseason.

why is that interesting?

That's right, but the sooner we can focus all of our attention to the 2014 class and beyond the better.

But why do we suppose that the time spent on wrapping up the 2013 class poses any hindrance to the coaching staff's attention to 2014 recruits? We pay attention for fun, bur for them it's a 50-hour-per-week (or whatever) job.

That makes sense. I'm sure most programs these days make an effort to keep the whities hanging with the whities.

C'mon, with the race stuff. SLU's above that. My guess is the Wisconsin and VA connections were the reason. Heck, we covered both dialects at one meal; JB- "Ya, you betchya, the cheese is pretty good heah in Saint Louis." JM-"Y'all gonna love 'em toasted raviolis, bubba."

C'mon, with the race stuff. SLU's above that. My guess is the Wisconsin and VA connections were the reason. Heck, we covered both dialects at one meal; JB- "Ya, you betchya, the cheese is pretty good heah in Saint Louis." JM-"Y'all gonna love 'em toasted raviolis, bubba."

Did you not get the sarcasm? That was my point ... regarding the initial obvious reference to us pairing him with white guys.