Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly not. The signing period doesn't apply to transfers.

The Spring signing period really doesn't matter for freshmen either. In many ways they are better waiting until the period is over and then signing a non-binding financial aid agreement.

How many schools are easy academically for basketball players than Tennessee? Where the heck is he going to go now? Kentucky? Alabama?

Seriously this time. If I was JC I'd be pretty damn close to telling RO to sign or we are moving on. Imo he seems to be stringing us and Miami along hoping for a better offer. We seem to be his back up plan. If he comes and things get tough or he doesn't get the playing time he wants, or someone yells at him too much ... will he always be keeping his eyes open for a better oportunity?

I don't think the ultimatum is necessary. If it's a deal where we were wanted to know if we need to cut our losses and move on, then maybe. During this wait, we have brought in or will bring in other recruits. If we offer another recruit and they decide to come to SLU, then it's too bad for Randy. If someone else commits before him, he can go to Miami, Tennessee, or whatever other school shows interest in him. The only reason to give him any more notice would be if the staff clearly thinks that Randy is a better option, and wants to give him one last chance before someone else commits.

I remember the last time we lost a recruit to Tennessee - Quinton Chievous. He could have come here and enjoyed back-to-back trip to the Dance. Instead, he is waiting for his first and recently had his team lose in the first round of the NIT to Mercer. If Randy calls a press conference and brings out the hats like Chievous did, we have no chance. Hopefully we can lock up Remy so we won't have to worry about it.

Oh, that's right. You declared him off the board to Northern Iowa yesterday. Good intel there.

p.s. it could happen, of course, but you clearly jumped the gun on that one.

No I didn't.

I remember the last time we lost a recruit to Tennessee - Quinton Chievous. He could have come here and enjoyed back-to-back trip to the Dance. Instead, he is waiting for his first and recently had his team lose in the first round of the NIT to Mercer. If Randy calls a press conference and brings out the hats like Chievous did, we have no chance. Hopefully we can lock up Remy so we won't have to worry about it.

That was one of my favorite "We lost a guy to WHO?" rants. At that time, they were staring down the barrel of Bruce Pearl violations, and I called TN a "garbage program" that we shouldn't be losing recruits to.

Now, I hope we don't lose a guy to them again...unless Coach Crews already has the house full.

I think Pitt still has one more scholarship to give.

If I am following the verbalcommits grid correctly, Pitt is now full. I think they only had one schollie to give prior to the addition of Kane... and Abell remains our top target IMO.

I hope so. I know people were originally excited with Randy because he had a highlight video with a lot of uncontested dunks and he has a cool name and we didn't have a lot of other good options at the time. But now with one of the three transfers being a possibility, I'm not sure why anybody would still view him as out top choice. Sure, he could be a diamond in the rough and turn out to be better than the three transfers, but the reality is that he only solid offers are from us and Miami (Oh). He talked about Seton Hall, but never got a visit. HE has talked about Pitt, but they only have one scholarship and have not invited him for a visit. Contrast that to Yacoubou, who actually IS going to visit Pitt. That tells me who the better player likely is. Also, Jesperson has a visit to USC among other BCS programs. Despite being in USC's backyard, Randy apparently was unable to attract interest from them or any other Pac-12 school. As for Abell, I saw him play a bit with Indiana and he would be a nice addition. Wouldn't it be nice to beat Xavier and St. Mary's for a recruit instead of Miami (Oh)?

I view him as the top choice because he appears to be the only true pg we are going after. I'd much rather have a 6'3" pg than a 6'6" sg, all other things being generally equal.

if we can't get ONWUASORUS WRECKZ or Abell, i'd rather pocket the schollie, honestly. better class balance, and we can go balls out recruiting next year (esp. locally) after we go to the tourney for a third straight year.

Saw the Billiken staff as well as Barnett and Manning in Pappy's accompanied by Paul Jesperson. Interesting that the two players they had with Jesperson were Barnett and Manning.

JM looks like he has gotten stronger in the offseason.

Saw the Billiken staff as well as Barnett and Manning in Pappy's accompanied by Paul Jesperson. Interesting that the two players they had with Jesperson were Barnett and Manning.

JM looks like he has gotten stronger in the offseason.

Just now or yesterday?

I view him as the top choice because he appears to be the only true pg we are going after. I'd much rather have a 6'3" pg than a 6'6" sg, all other things being generally equal.

McBroom is listed as a point guard. He may not be a "true point guard" but more of a McCall type, As we have seen in our system, most of our guards are interchangeable. I'm not sure Randy is really a pure point guard either. Randy will not help us next year anyway, so for 2014-15, considering we will have a deeper pool of players to choose from this coming fall, I feel confident we can find a point guard better than Randy. We reportedly have been in contact with many quality point guards for the class of 2014. If we miss there, Crews has also shown he is willing to explore the juco market. I just don't think there is a big sense of urgency to get a "true point guard" right now. I think it more important to get the most talented guard regardless of whether he is more of a 1 or a 2.

McBroom is listed as a point guard. He may not be a "true point guard" but more of a McCall type, As we have seen in our system, most of our guards are interchangeable. I'm not sure Randy is really a pure point guard either. Randy will not help us next year anyway, so for 2014-15, considering we will have a deeper pool of players to choose from this coming fall, I feel confident we can find a point guard better than Randy. We reportedly have been in contact with many quality point guards for the class of 2014. If we miss there, Crews has also shown he is willing to explore the juco market. I just don't think there is a big sense of urgency to get a "true point guard" right now. I think it more important to get the most talented guard regardless of whether he is more of a 1 or a 2.

We only have one pg on our roster for 2014. I don't know if RO is the answer to our future pg concerns, but I'd rather have a fairly talented 6'3" pg in our system for a year than rely on a freshman backup to McBroom (in 2014).

Also, it seems you are downgrading RO's talent based on his delay in making a decision and desire to look at potentially bigger schools. I think he has the talent to be a good pg at SLU. But as someone raised earlier, the biggest thing I'd be concerned about his commitment to SLU.

We only have one pg on our roster for 2014. I don't know if RO is the answer to our future pg concerns, but I'd rather have a fairly talented 6'3" pg in our system for a year than rely on a freshman backup to McBroom (in 2014).

Also, it seems you are downgrading RO's talent based on his delay in making a decision and desire to look at potentially bigger schools. I think he has the talent to be a good pg at SLU. But as someone raised earlier, the biggest thing I'd be concerned about his commitment to SLU.

I think your last comment is the biggest concern. He's a talented kid, and I'd like to see him in Billiken blue. But if he doesn't want to play here, let's get someone who does.

I think your last comment is the biggest concern. He's a talented kid, and I'd like to see him in Billiken blue. But if he doesn't want to play here, let's get someone who does.

Agree. Carter us once, shame on him ( not really). Carter us twice ...