Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying this is what you're implying, but you can find easy classes anywhere.

My general understanding is that it's more difficult for academically challenged athletes to remain eligible at private institutions as opposed to public schools which naturally offer a wider array of courses to a wider spectrum of students.

My general understanding is that it's more difficult for academically challenged athletes to remain eligible at private institutions as opposed to public schools which naturally offer a wider array of courses to a wider spectrum of students.

I would expect you're right.

Not saying this is what you're implying, but you can find easy classes anywhere.

No you cannot find easy courses everywhere.

Many, maybe "most" D-1 schools still have absolute joke-jock classes for dummy football and basketball players lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind that should not really be in college.

SLU offers nothing like some of the juvenile nonsensical paths these schools have available.

So, yes, a lot of players would qualify to get into SLU per the NCAA rules but could not make it through the classes successfully at SLU, whereas they would be fine at Missouri University ("Biology for Non Science Majors").

I had some ridiculously easy classes at SLU. They weren't necessarily classes you could point out on a course offering list as cupcakes, but they wound up having super easy teachers. A couple of them were easier than anything I'd taken since grade school. Comically easy.

I had some ridiculously easy classes at SLU. They weren't necessarily classes you could point out on a course offering list as cupcakes, but they wound up having super easy teachers. A couple of them were easier than anything I'd taken since grade school. Comically easy.

This issue probably has more to do with having an "easy" major than it does having "easy" classes. You have to be making progress towards a degree and therefore can't just pick and choose all of the easy classes.

No you cannot find easy courses everywhere.

Many, maybe "most" D-1 schools still have absolute joke-jock classes for dummy football and basketball players lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind that should not really be in college.

SLU offers nothing like some of the juvenile nonsensical paths these schools have available.

So, yes, a lot of players would qualify to get into SLU per the NCAA rules but could not make it through the classes successfully at SLU, whereas they would be fine at Missouri University ("Biology for Non Science Majors").

I am taking Biology for non-science majors next semester. I am perfectly satisfied with the difficulty of university.

There are easy enough classes at SLU. If a kid goes to his tutoring sessions and uses the help available to him, he can make it though. The disconnect comes not when a player isn't smart, but when a player isn't smart and rejects the idea of coursework altogether.

Sure, but not four years worth of them... that is the difference. Especially at football schools.

I was a business major but took a well known "sure thing A" geography class; capital of England?

This issue probably has more to do with having an "easy" major than it does having "easy" classes. You have to be making progress towards a degree and therefore can't just pick and choose all of the easy classes.

Marketing. It was the perfect major for not knowing what I wanted to do in life and not wanting to work hard in college. A lot of my super easy classes were electives and other general business classes. Not just marketing.

I picked up an American Studies minor late in my junior year. Those were much tougher, more interesting classes. I got better grades because I was actually paying attention. Probably would have majored in it if I found it sooner.

Examples of easy classes at SLU:

EAS 107: Understanding the Weather < fullfills science requirement for most non science majors.

MUSC 127: Piano I: Adult Beginngers < had friends in this class. A for effort!

CMM 120: Public Speaking < I took this class. Biggest joke

I don't remember Understanding the Weather. I took Earthquakes (actually pretty hard) and Natural Disasters (not very hard, but super interesting and I definitely took a lot away from it) to fulfill science requirements.

My easiest class was probably International Business. The tests were easier than the multiple choice tests to renew your license at the DMV and involved about the same amount of studying.

I have not been in formal education for many years. But one skill that is and continues being REALLY valuable in business and the corporate world is public speaking. The class may appear to be a joke, but the subject matter is not. The world is full or really poor speakers trying to make their points everywhere in TV, in public forums, in meetings. Most of these people are blocked in one way or the other by their inability to speak in public. Take this subject matter seriously, it will pay off for you.

I have not been in formal education for many years. But one skill that is and continues being REALLY valuable in business and the corporate world is public speaking. The class may appear to be a joke, but the subject matter is not. The world is full or really poor speakers trying to make their points everywhere in TV, in public forums, in meetings. Most of these people are blocked in one way or the other by their inability to speak in public. Take this subject matter seriously, it will pay off for you.

I agree it is a valuble skill. Joke was probably not the correct word to use. (If you had taken this class, you might use the same wording.) The level of difficulty was not on par with most college classes or even high school classes for that matter. This likely has a lot to do with the "professor" (graduate student) teaching the class.

When I actually took my public speaking class in college, the professor was deaf like a rock. He would turn off his hearing aid and grade you on your self assurance, poise, gestures and general presentation of yourself he observed during your speeches. Not an easy course to do well in unless you were really outgoing.

Aren't most of those ex athletes? Some of these guys they parade up to offer opinoins are truly laughable.

Politics in film at SLU was one of the easiest classes I could find. We would watch a movie with political ties and discuss that.

Awesome class. Convinced the professor to let me do a presentation on South Park The Movie.

While this was a very easy class, some of the best classes are ones like it where you're at least forced to think critically about these things - movies, literature, etc.

Awesome class. Convinced the professor to let me do a presentation on South Park The Movie.

While this was a very easy class, some of the best classes are ones like it where you're at least forced to think critically about these things - movies, literature, etc.

If a SLU proffessor has anyone thinking critically of both sides regarding politics, they'd be one of the very few in the country

When I actually took my public speaking class in college, the professor was deaf like a rock. He would turn off his hearing aid and grade you on your self assurance, poise, gestures and general presentation of yourself he observed during your speeches. Not an easy course to do well in unless you were really outgoing.

Not college, but a public speaking course was probably the most important class I took in my life. In elementary school I was scared to speak in front of the class, even to the point of taking a zero on book reports I had completed and had sitting right in front of me. When my name was called, I'd just claim I didn't do it. Finally my Mom figured it out and forced me to take a public speaking or what they called speech in 7th grade. I was forced to speak in front of the class and on camera. Literally changed my life. Now, I can get up in front of a thousand people and speak on any subject off the cuff (might be complete BS, but I'd deliver it convincingly) I was even recognized in the USAF for a speech I gave during NCO school graduation. Can't imagine where I would be without that class. If you have always been comfortable speaking in front of others, you probably can't imagine the fear for those who aren't

You mean I paid for you to watch movies. You could have at least taken art appreciation like I did.