Recruiting - 2013

I feel it necessary to set what some have said about my position correct. I have never said that my point was to put myself in the situation that would allow me to say I told you so. I have also said in a past post that I am willing to even wait until the end of the transfer season comes to analyze the results of the spring recruiting effort. That being said, I still do not find anything wrong with asking questions in regards to the approach Crews is taking. Sorry to learn that to be a SLU fan you must be a love it or leave guy. By the way, I understand that RM did sign kids in May but the difference in my mind is that he was looking for one player usually not 50% of his recruiting class. Nobody wants Crews to have a good recruiting season more than me - after all as I said before, if he does not then we will be in a rebuilding mode after next year and nobody wants that.

welcome to the club. never question anything. now you know.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A secondary or sub-point or sub-plot to chesseman's post above ----

I too believe I share the cheeseman's point and am not manuvering my position to say "I told you so." For the record, I want sucess so that I never have to say that.

The subliminal concern here, to me, is that if a guy can't get guys to come to a school with two, possibly three, consecutive post-season trips, what makes anyone think he will be able to restock a bare cupboard after that? The SLU arrow has never been more up than it is now. To me, these past two years have been as high as or slightly higher than the Clagg/Hmark years of two consecutive NCAA runs. If you indeed strike while the iron is hot, ours is glowing white hot right now. This despite the sobering effect of Coach's passing.

Now, as many have said, our key focus is really what we see when we aim at the year after next -- when we lose Loe, McCall, Jett, Evans, and Barnett. Getting kids in now to learn is key. I don't think next year has any givens right now but it is certainly not a rebuilding year. And rebuilding years are always tough. That's what I'd lime to avoid and those are the two things I am watching as JC recruits righ tnow. Can he fill thge spots and do so with quality player. They don't have to all be "his," but they have to be better then some of the dregs we've discussed from the past.

The Agbeko signing was quite promsing to almost all of us. The inactivity since is unsettling, to say the least. To raise a program, you need the recruits. Majerus got those recruits. Now Majerus is gone. Are the recruits gone as well? If the only reason to come to SLU was to play for the coach, and the coach is gone, now what? I think I am looking to see if Crews can dispel that rumor and not revert back to it being fact. Crawford, Agbeko, Lancona and Onwuasor would make me quite comfortable. For now. The real proof will be down the road but at least some early bumps might be addressed.

And if they're not the answer, we're back to the question of talent evluation. We can all agree that Majerus was pretty right on there. Best we ever had.

Lancona just Tweeted a photo of snow piling up outside his window in Fort Collins. He then retweeted a SLU fan's screen shot of this week's weather in St. Louis. Well done.

tanner lancona @tjlancona 1h

Ok ???? This is some serious snow pic.twitter.com/YSOvaIaOpu

Will Basler @Little_Bill21 55m

@tjlancona interesting.... #Billikens pic.twitter.com/i6jlXlqBfl

Retweeted by tanner lancona

Lancona just Tweeted a photo of snow piling up outside his window in Fort Collins. He then retweeted a SLU fan's screen shot of this week's weather in St. Louis. Well done.

tanner lancona @tjlancona 1h

Will Basler @Little_Bill21 55m

That is awesome. Hopefully that snow is heading to Manhattan Kansas

Manhattan, KS forecast:

Today: 68/34, rainy

Tomorrow: 43/30, ice pellets

Friday: 48/34, 30% chance of rain

Saturday: 46/37, 60% chance of rain

Sunday: 59/36, 50% chance of rain

Not too shabby. Then again, it did rain in STL when he was visiting SLU.

tanner lancona ‏@tjlancona 1h

Will Basler ‏@Little_Bill21 55m

that's not serious snow at all. and his coaches won't let him ski. and he won't be able to hit the micro-breweries until he's 21. if he likes weed riots, maybe we've got a problem. otherwise, he's coming to SLU.

NOTE: LINDSEY SABLAN can get BANGED seven ways to sunday.

Manhattan, KS forecast:

Today: 68/34, rainy

Tomorrow: 43/30, ice pellets

Friday: 48/34, 30% chance of rain

Saturday: 46/37, 60% chance of rain

Sunday: 59/36, 50% chance of rain

Not too shabby. Then again, it did rain in STL when he was visiting SLU.

Yeah, unfortunately the weather was crappy here for his visit right before turning nice the day after he left. Hopefully the ice pellets will be raining down as he arrives in lovely Manhattan... Kansas

I noticed that he retweeted something from Cody. Hopefully he spend a lot of time with Cody... a great role model for young Tanner.

tanner lancona ‏@tjlancona 1h

Will Basler ‏@Little_Bill21 55m

Just trying to do my part............ In all seriousness, you can tell we really want this kid becasue we're looking up the weather in Fort Collins and Manhattan.... It bodes well for us at least.

Nice:

5/1/13, 12:17 PM

@tjlancona That is NO Blizzard man. Wait till you see your first #BillikenBlizzard! youtube.com/watch?v=QZd7i7

#SLU

Saw this yesterday. Wonder if it will affect RO's thinking...

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria 4h

..Hakeem Harris to Seton Hall http://zagsblog.com/seton-hall/hakeem-harris-to-seton-hall/

I have a feeling we have to worry about Miami (OH) more than Seton Hall when it comes to RO.

Looks like Seton Hall is now full at 13 scholarships, so I'm guessing Onwuasor will not be visiting. I updated his recruiting list entry above to reflect that Seton Hall and Utah appear to be out of scholarships.

Do I dare ask where tweets fall in the world of legal NCAA contact?

Illegal but everyone does it.

I've been wondering the same thing for a few months now. Social media is the new frontier in terms of recruiting, or more like the Wild West. Is there any possible way to enforce it?

Probably just a best effort sort of thing for the universities. E.g slu when they learned about the jordair shirts did everything they could to stop it. With twitter much harder since individuals information is not public or stored

Not sure on the tweeting thing. I believe coaches are now allowed unlimited texts and stuff to recruits (as of earlier this year) so I would think social media would be the same. I could be interpreting the rule wrong though.

Here are SLU's guidelines for boosters (if you're in the Billiken Club, you're a booster). No mention of social media, but it does say:

DO NOT make any contact with a prospect or the prospect's family on or off campus. If a coach has a prospect at an athletic event, you should not approach the coach until the prospect and his or her family have gone elsewhere. If you are approached by a prospect off-campus regarding the institution's athletics program, suggest that the prospect contact the institution for information.

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=205241768

Not sure on the tweeting thing. I believe coaches are now allowed unlimited texts and stuff to recruits (as of earlier this year) so I would think social media would be the same. I could be interpreting the rule wrong though.

What about fans, boosters, et al? I don't think it's supposed to happen but there's virtually no way to stop it.

Here are SLU's guidelines for boosters (if you're in the Billiken Club, you're a booster). No mention of social media, but it does say:

There are plenty of fans who don't hit any of those bullet points. Is it open season for them?

The entire thing regarding bossters is silly. The NCAA trying to tell me who I can and can't have a conversation with Fouk you. It's like most other things in our country ... we have to have silly rules because we won't just punish the offenders enough to make them actually regret doing it.

Obviously, these rules are in place to protect high school kids from having hundreds of people constantly annoying them everywhere they go about where they will choose to go to college. In that respect, the rules are noble and should be followed.

It is also important to note that tweeting at someone is much different than walking up and talking to them. These kids on twitter can easily ignore someone's tweets or just block them entirely. You can't do that to someone in real life who is talking to you.