FAN FEST

TVACH13

You're a joke. You are way off base with your entitlement and free look comment.

I didn't ask for anything but SLU advertised something. Could they not have put some effort into doing it right?

They didn't have a 30 minute scrimmage.

By 6:45 these players were gone or were never there. BC, KC, CR, KM, JJ, MM. 50% of their top 10 players.

You were satisfied, great. I was underwhelmed and stated it. Get over it.

There are very few people over the last almost 20 years who have supported the Bills more than I have and not just with dollars. (And I'd bet there aren't a thousand fans who have given the athletic department more money over the last 20 years than I have, and far fewer non - alumni) I have been extremely supportive of RM over and over again taking his and the schools side most of the time.

It's also not just the mens basketball team I support.

Lol, you say I'm off base with my entitlement comment and the you go into how much of a fan you are and how much you've donated to the school over the years. Sounds like you think your entitled. I never questioned your fan hood. It's obvious you care greatly about the school and team.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, you say I'm off base with my entitlement comment and the you go into how much of a fan you are and how much you've donated to the school over the years. Sounds like you think your entitled. I never questioned your fan hood. It's obvious you care greatly about the school and team.

Maybe it makes me a ****** but I certainly feel entitled. So many other schools around the country do such a better job with the opening of practice, the least we could ask for would be the department coming through on what it advertised.

I had midterms this week and showed up only to find out that our two seniors were missing and that three other significant players had to cut out early.

The scrimmage sucked plain and simple.

Majerus seemed impatient and wanted the questions to get done sooner. So much for marketing the program. It was just a poorly run event.

That said, I was perhaps the last person to leave and I did have a good time talking to everyone after. But to act like it was generous of the department to put this on or like it was a well-run event is ridiculous.

Obviously it didn't go as planned and it upset a lot of people, but I was still glad to get to come out and see the team. It was nice to listen to RM talk and just get even the smallest sampling of what we could see this year. Guys on the board got to catch up and discuss some things in person.

It certainly didn't lower my expectations or excitement for the season.

It's more than has been in the past so at least it's a step in the right direction.

I think the real point is that many are just getting sick of saying, 'Hey, its better than nothing.' 'It is a step in the right direction.' 'At least they tried.' Many are just getting tired of constantly making excuses or apologizing for things being done poorly, or not at all.

This team is coming off of a terrible season and has seen the city become disinterested in them. While the hardcore fans, the ones who always buy the season tickets, have reason to be excited about this season knowing the talent they have, what has the program done to get the so-called casual fan interested? While it is true that winning will take care of most of this, why wouldn't the athletic department do its best to create some excitement?

Ask yourself this: If you brought a friend of yours, one who is not a die-hard Billiken fan, to the Fan Fest last night, would he have come away excited about this coming season? Would he have felt a need to get some tickets to some early season games? Probably not. He would have felt that he was brought to a short team practice and was told that the players need to get out of there quickly so try not to bother them too much on your way out. And make it quick if you do bother them.

Last night wasn't the end of the world and doesn't set the program back or anything like that. It is just more of the same old, same old that we have allowed ourselves to get used to. Would it hurt the department, and the coach, to try to do something that actually entertains the fans that come out? Maybe have some video intros of the players and allow them to come out one by one, have the SaintSations on hand, play an ACTUAL scrimmage, maybe let some of the players do a little dunkoff, just anything to give your fans some entertainment, get them worked up for the season that starts. Just throw in some razzle-dazzle for once.

Basically, if you are going to do something, do it right, or don't do it all. Don't do it half-a$$ed. Doing something with little effort makes people more upset than if you didn't do it at all.

Majerus did have some scheduling tidbits.

He's trying to schedule Gonzaga next year. They only want to play us at scottrade for some reason. Verbal agreement with Butler for a home and home but still needs to be firmed up. Somebody asked about playing Bradley, Majerus said they are a fallback option if something can't be worked out with Butler or Gonzaga.

I thought Metz said Bradley was a done deal? I guess thats why I wait until HTB confirms information.

I think the real point is that many are just getting sick of saying, 'Hey, its better than nothing.' 'It is a step in the right direction.' 'At least they tried.' Many are just getting tired of constantly making excuses or apologizing for things being done poorly, or not at all.

This team is coming off of a terrible season and has seen the city become disinterested in them. While the hardcore fans, the ones who always buy the season tickets, have reason to be excited about this season knowing the talent they have, what has the program done to get the so-called casual fan interested? While it is true that winning will take care of most of this, why wouldn't the athletic department do its best to create some excitement?

Ask yourself this: If you brought a friend of yours, one who is not a die-hard Billiken fan, to the Fan Fest last night, would he have come away excited about this coming season? Would he have felt a need to get some tickets to some early season games? Probably not. He would have felt that he was brought to a short team practice and was told that the players need to get out of there quickly so try not to bother them too much on your way out. And make it quick if you do bother them.

Last night wasn't the end of the world and doesn't set the program back or anything like that. It is just more of the same old, same old that we have allowed ourselves to get used to. Would it hurt the department, and the coach, to try to do something that actually entertains the fans that come out? Maybe have some video intros of the players and allow them to come out one by one, have the SaintSations on hand, play an ACTUAL scrimmage, maybe let some of the players do a little dunkoff, just anything to give your fans some entertainment, get them worked up for the season that starts. Just throw in some razzle-dazzle for once.

Basically, if you are going to do something, do it right, or don't do it all. Don't do it half-a$$ed. Doing something with little effort makes people more upset than if you didn't do it at all.

-a lot of great points in this post, thanks

I didn't make it to the event last night and was pretty bummed out, but it doesn't sound like I missed a whole lot.

I had every intention to go and had I made it, I would've expected to see a full scrimmage with all the players. Why would we not expect to see that? Unless a player was hurt, I see no reason why they would not have had that.

Does Rick run partial practices from time to time to accommodate academics with some of the players? Maybe he does and I honestly do not know.

We get it, academics are important. I am also grateful to the team and the Ath Dept. for making an effort at these things. I just hope this wasn't one of those things that we did to check off the list. Do it right and do it in style. You build a program by doing more than just the play on the floor and while that ultimately is what matters, you have a real chance to build enthusiasm for the local team by doing these things and doing them first class.

Lastly, someone previously posted that our offense could be a problem this year based on what they saw last night. Just a reminder, it's difficult to run an offense when the defense knows exactly what offense and play you're running.

That would be me. Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it's not like opponents, especially in the A-10, won't scout the team and watch film. The only difference is that they may not immediately know what "24" is.

I guess what I was really trying to say is that, based on what I saw, it looks like the Billikens' defense is better than its offense.

I didn't make it to the event last night and was pretty bummed out, but it doesn't sound like I missed a whole lot.

I had every intention to go and had I made it, I would've expected to see a full scrimmage with all the players. Why would we not expect to see that? Unless a player was hurt, I see no reason why they would not have had that.

Does Rick run partial practices from time to time to accommodate academics with some of the players? Maybe he does and I honestly do not know.

We get it, academics are important. I am also grateful to the team and the Ath Dept. for making an effort at these things. I just hope this wasn't one of those things that we did to check off the list. Do it right and do it in style. You build a program by doing more than just the play on the floor and while that ultimately is what matters, you have a real chance to build enthusiasm for the local team by doing these things and doing them first class.

Yes he does run partial practices from time to time due to players having classes or school stuff to do. He has stated this several times over the last few years. Your question raised a point I had not thought of - perhaps to RM a kid missing a practice for school requirements is not a bid deal and he does not really think twice about it.

I do agree that the school needs marketing help but since this is an ongoing problem there must be some reason for them not being able to correct it - not sure what.

+1

+1

+2

No doubt RM is not the easiest coach to work with so the Athletic Department repeatedly has real challenges on their hands. At the same time, I read nothing in anyone post in this thread which would put any blame upon RM. IMO, the Athletic Department deserves all the blame. The kids are student athletes. No way should anyone have scheduled anything extra during mid-terms. If RM and the coaches gave this date, then Chris May and his department should have looked at the school calendar and said NO.

For years I have said that SLU should bring back the Blue and White game. I went to that event each year. For those that don't know/recall, no food and drinks were offered at the Blue & White game but SLU did have referees in full uniform, fouls, traveling, etc. were called, the players were equally divided into 2 teams, each team was coached by one of the assistant coaches with Grawer/Spoon watching the whole game, they played a full game (20 minute halves) and used the short halftime for the coach and/or AD to thank and speak to the crowd. When I received the notice this year, I was reminded of the Blue & White game. I had every intention of bringing my young kids with me, but frankly, my kids were worn out with school and all their extra curriculars that we stayed home and had a much needed early to bed night. By all accounts, I am glad we stayed home.

Still, I would not give the Athletic Department a failing grade from reading all the accounts but I share jbizzle's view, as also expressed by others, that SLU simply could have done things better. Frankly, I have been saying this since 1987 and I am tired of the excuses. $1 million HOF coach, first class facilities, increased ticket prices and mandatory donations... and yet the Athletic Department is making the same mistakes made during the Jim Bakken and Joe Yates years. We talk about the coaches and the players but when will the rest of the program become closer to being a first class program?

BTW, anyone remember a year when the Athletic Department did NOT have mistakes by their printer regarding our season tickets? My wife (not a SLU grad) read the letter and said "Again...."

In 96 they had a scrimmage, a dunk competition, ESPN was there and other Pro Athletes from around town. It was at West Pine and it was packed at midnight.

I was a freshman and thought that was what college was all about. There has been no program since that met the level of that one and if they've had anything at all it has been lame. I remember the meet and greet at the Clock Tower with Brad and shooting some pop a shot basketball there were about 15 people there at 2PM on a TUES (maybe not the exact day/time but you get the idea).

-Billikan - i would like to get your thoughts on fan fest, either what you observed, have read here and what the adept's take on things is (ie what did they expect versus what took place)?

-i ask as i think you may have some light to shed on this and if you could give us an idea as to why it seems the mktng/promotion seems to be a difficult nut to crack for us and perhaps how we can help?

-i think most of us are wanting to see the U advance and there seems to be growing frustration by seeing some of the places where we don't meet the challenge or seize the opportunity

-Billikan - i would like to get your thoughts on fan fest, either what you observed, have read here and what the adept's take on things is (ie what did they expect versus what took place)?

-i ask as i think you may have some light to shed on this and if you could give us an idea as to why it seems the mktng/promotion seems to be a difficult nut to crack for us and perhaps how we can help?

-i think most of us are wanting to see the U advance and there seems to be growing frustration by seeing some of the places where we don't meet the challenge or seize the opportunity

Truth be told, there really isn't a marketing department. Chris May, who I've gotten to know quite well in the last couple of years, knows what and how to do things. He just doesn't have the budget that others have. We can complain all we want, some of them are fair criticisms, but they just don't have the resources to do things significantly better. I know this will draw a lot of criticism from some, but money talks, and BS walks. They need more money to do a better job. It doesn't help that RM tries to stay away from the rest of the Athletic Department. The AD can plan all he wants, but RM sometimes flies by the seat of his pants and the plans are altered.

I've made suggestions to May in the past, sometimes they are acted upon, other times, not. It can be very frustating, but again, it's not that they don't want to do it better, but they lack the resources that others have.

Truth be told, there really isn't a marketing department. Chris May, who I've gotten to know quite well in the last couple of years, knows what and how to do things. He just doesn't have the budget that others have. We can complain all we want, some of them are fair criticisms, but they just don't have the resources to do things significantly better. I know this will draw a lot of criticism from some, but money talks, and BS walks. They need more money to do a better job. It doesn't help that RM tries to stay away from the rest of the Athletic Department. The AD can plan all he wants, but RM sometimes flies by the seat of his pants and the plans are altered.

I've made suggestions to May in the past, sometimes they are acted upon, other times, not. It can be very frustating, but again, it's not that they don't want to do it better, but they lack the resources that others have.

The money excuse is somewhat valid, but the lack of proper marketing is costing the program even more money. Average attendance last season was down 30% to 6,300 from when the Fetz opened. It was our lowest average attendance since Anthony Bonner stepped on the court for the first time. Winning will fix a lot, but last year attendance was inexcusable even when you take the team being poor into account. We averaged 7,700 when we had players quiting the team during the game and finished 5-23 in 1991-92.

Excellent post!!

The money excuse is somewhat valid, but the lack of proper marketing is costing the program even more money. Average attendance last season was down 30% to 6,300 from when the Fetz opened. It was our lowest average attendance since Anthony Bonner stepped on the court for the first time. Winning will fix a lot, but last year attendance was inexcusable even when you take the team being poor into account. We averaged 7,700 when we had players quiting the team during the game and finished 5-23 in 1991-92.

At the same time, I'm a die hard and I had next to zero interest in going to the games last year, as I was so incredibly pissed at the administration for what happened to Willie and Kwamain. It took maybe three quarters of the season for me to get over it. I'm guessing many of the more casual fans just stopped showing up.

At the same time, I'm a die hard and I had next to zero interest in going to the games last year, as I was so incredibly pissed at the administration for what happened to Willie and Kwamain. It took maybe three quarters of the season for me to get over it. I'm guessing many of the more casual fans just stopped showing up.

It isn't just a last year problem. Average attendance has gone down every year for six straight years.