FAN FEST

TVACH13

It isn't just a last year problem. Average attendance has gone down every year for six straight years.

-is there a direct and undisputable correlation to moving year by year away from our last ncaa appearance? i think so

-the recent economy also has to factor to some degree, not sure how much

-also some of our loyal fans who attended the U during the national championship years are too old or too dead to attend (imo we should have a national championship banner, not just an nit championship banner, hanging prominently in the arena)

-the trend is sickening/frightening/######/causeforalarm...add your own

-the refrain from the adept is we win this season and the situation improves....from their lips to the God of Billiken Hoops Success (i bet She is super hot!!!)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't just a last year problem. Average attendance has gone down every year for six straight years.

We really had lower average attendance the first two year in Chaifetz than the last year in Scottrade? I find that almost impossible to believe. Especially if the 20,000+ NC game at Scottrade is factored out.

We really had lower average attendance the first two year in Chaifetz than the last year in Scottrade? I find that almost impossible to believe. Especially if the 20,000+ NC game at Scottrade is factored out.

9,300 the second last year and 9,600 the last year at Scott.

9,300 the second last year and 9,600 the last year at Scott.

I will say that I think the SIU series had a lot to do with that as well. The last season at Scott was a season where we were the home team against SIU. Considering the rivalry, and that it was Rick's first season as coach, we ended up getting a large crowd there that night. A crowd that the Fetz could not have contained (at least 11,000+). We didn't get another home game against SIU until 09-10, which brought in a good crowd (nearly sellout), but not the same enthusiasm, as SIU was in a down year that season.

Even if you throw out the SIU game, I do think the Majerus factor played a lot into the first year at Scott. Considering that anyone could walk up and get a ticket, the Majerus hiring was new and fresh with the sports crowd. Thus, people in the StL were excited, and willing to spend a few bucks on tickets then. It was even more appealling to grab them at $10 a pop, considering that was the going price for upper level tix that season at Scott.

Basically, I agree with you. Marketing sucks, and the excitement level with the city area is at a lull. But, I am not sure you are using your stats honestly. I think that is your intent to be honest, but I think you should sit back and take another look. Obviously, attendence is down, as it should be. But perhaps, not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be.

Thanks Brian for pointing out the facts on attendance.

I did an analysis a few years ago that showed a major structural shift downward for attendance since Chaifetz was built. I could not control for everything but I did control for in season wins and prior season wins. Obviously I do not think a statistical model shows everything but controlling for wins attendance is still down. So "something" was attracting fans prior to Chaifetz that was not related to wins.

By the way, it makes no logical sense, to argue against the reality of lower attendance based on the particulars of who is scheduled as the scheduling is completely in the control of SLU. In fact one of the many arguments made for Chaifetz was "better" control of schedule. If scheduling certain opponents increases attendance then SLU should do it.

Not to make excuses, but we probably need to factor the economy in there somewhere. Ticket prices go up and the economy tanks....probably has a good deal to do with it. Not that I disagree on the marketing comments though.

That explains why I am no longer a season ticket holder and likely won't be for some time. The good fortune of having two paid for vehicles, has me eyeing two inexpensive two-seat kayaks to get the family outdoors and on the water for less than my Billiken tickets would've been the first year. When you consider Billiken tickets as a luxury good and not a necessity or something akin to a sporting property tax, it much more difficult to fork over the $$$......

Heard about this on the local sports radio station. Why couldn't SLU organize something like this? SLU fall break is the 24th-25th. Based on this thread, it sounds like this would be the type of event many posters would like to see if we're not going to have a midnight madness.

CU Basketball To Host Meet The Buffs Event

Release: 10/20/2011 Courtesy: CUBuffs.com

BOULDER - Colorado Basketball invites you to Meet The Buffs on Sunday, Oct. 30 at the Coors Events Center.

The event begins at 4:00 p.m. with basketball student-athletes from the men's and women's teams conducting skill stations for kids ages 13 and under. The first 750 kids to complete all required stations will receive a free CU t-shirt and food from Outback Steakhouse.

Then at 5:00 p.m. your Colorado Basketball teams will be introduced and take the court to showcase their talents with a three-point contest, slam dunk contest, and scrimmage.

Fans will also have the opportunity to tour the new practice facility and purchase season tickets. Season tickets start at just $50 for the women's team and $60 for the men's.

Admission and parking are free and there will be several other prizes and giveaways. The participating sponsors for the Meet The Buffs event are WhiteWave Foods, Crocs, Outback Steakhouse, Century Chevy, and Colorado Athletic Club.

Schedule of Events

4:00 Skill stations for kids (13 & under) conducted by CU Basketball players

FREE CU t-shirt and food from Outback Steakhouse to first 750 kids who complete required stations

Tour the new practice facility and purchase season tickets

5:00 Introduction of your CU Men's and Women's Basketball teams

Slam Dunk Contest

Three-point Contest

Scrimmage

Heard about this on the local sports radio station. Why couldn't SLU organize something like this? SLU fall break is the 24th-25th. Based on this thread, it sounds like this would be the type of event many posters would like to see if we're not going to have a midnight madness.

BOULDER - Colorado Basketball invites you to Meet The Buffs on Sunday, Oct. 30 at the Coors Events Center.

The event begins at 4:00 p.m. with basketball student-athletes from the men's and women's teams conducting skill stations for kids ages 13 and under. The first 750 kids to complete all required stations will receive a free CU t-shirt and food from Outback Steakhouse.

Then at 5:00 p.m. your Colorado Basketball teams will be introduced and take the court to showcase their talents with a three-point contest, slam dunk contest, and scrimmage.

Fans will also have the opportunity to tour the new practice facility and purchase season tickets. Season tickets start at just $50 for the women's team and $60 for the men's.

Admission and parking are free and there will be several other prizes and giveaways. The participating sponsors for the Meet The Buffs event are WhiteWave Foods, Crocs, Outback Steakhouse, Century Chevy, and Colorado Athletic Club.

Schedule of Events

FREE CU t-shirt and food from Outback Steakhouse to first 750 kids who complete required stations

Slam Dunk Contest

Three-point Contest

Scrimmage

I agree. If you want to be the best then you have to act like the best. CU is May's previous place so he should have a handle on it in theory. FanFest landed short of what it could be. I wonder what the budget was for the event and what was spent.

Because our coach prefers to practice 6 hours each of those days.

Schedule of Events

Slam Dunk Contest

Three-point Contest

Scrimmage

-Billikan - i would like to get your thoughts on fan fest, either what you observed, have read here and what the adept's take on things is (ie what did they expect versus what took place)?

-i ask as i think you may have some light to shed on this and if you could give us an idea as to why it seems the mktng/promotion seems to be a difficult nut to crack for us and perhaps how we can help?

-i think most of us are wanting to see the U advance and there seems to be growing frustration by seeing some of the places where we don't meet the challenge or seize the opportunity

Unfortunately, I was out of town and could not attend so I cannot give any comment about the event. I will say that I have had three children go to various colleges out of town and there is a wide variety of "access events" in college bb. some schools never let the fans near the players other than at arms length with a lot of buffer. The Bills seem to allow a lot of direct contact between the fans and players and I have found these players to be nothing but wonderful young men with great attitudes. Chris May is very interested in increasing the interest in the team and the intentions are good even if the execution may not be perfect. I went to a couple of the practices during the summer and really enjoyed them. Many schools would never allow such access for fans. I hope everyone stays positive. I have no idea how many games we will win but I think this has the potential to be the most exciting team we have had in years!

Unfortunately, I was out of town and could not attend so I cannot give any comment about the event. I will say that I have had three children go to various colleges out of town and there is a wide variety of "access events" in college bb. some schools never let the fans near the players other than at arms length with a lot of buffer. The Bills seem to allow a lot of direct contact between the fans and players and I have found these players to be nothing but wonderful young men with great attitudes. Chris May is very interested in increasing the interest in the team and the intentions are good even if the execution may not be perfect. I went to a couple of the practices during the summer and really enjoyed them. Many schools would never allow such access for fans. I hope everyone stays positive. I have no idea how many games we will win but I think this has the potential to be the most exciting team we have had in years!

-thanks, i wish we knew what the adept thought of the event but i guess we will not know

-perhaps a better event for next season coming off our national championship