FAN FEST

TVACH13

Studying for exams > talking to random fans

100% of the time. The fact you posted that really surprises me.

Yes, because that's all the time there is to study. I didn't say don't study for exams ... did I? Nope, went back and re read it, didn't say it

Why even announce a fan fest? Just call it an open practice and be done with it

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no argument and i would bet that skip agrees with that as well. i think skip is saying why even set the thing up if that is the best result they could give? it isnt like they didnt know it was midterm week. pick a different day. pick a saturday morning. there is middle ground there somewhere.

what is even more disappointing is it sounds like the event actually got a decent turnout. but then the show is a bust. one step forward, two steps back.

This was a joke. They schedule the damn thing and get people out and then act surprised the kids have class and exams. Seriously?

Could you really call that a scrimmage? Cassity and Conklin couldn't be there. MM, JJ, CR, KM, and maybe more leave at about 6:45 to study for exams and for study hall. Then at about 7:00 after having the crowd ask maybe 1 silly question aloud for the players, RM says come down and meet them, they are good kids and very engaging and all, Declan comes over and says they have studying to do and have to go so make it quick. I left with the thought of F>>K YOU in my head.

The lady in front of me brought 4 kids, how pissed would I be as a parent if my kids had looked forward to this and I brought them.

Really, could they not plan something and dedicate 2-3 hours to the fans.

Oh yea, free munchies, I'm so excited.

On a good note ... We're going to fall in love with GG over the next 4 years. Endless energy and a personality and smile that doesn't seem to quit

Skip, I agree. What, they didn't know two weeks ago that it was mid-term week? Also, our "scrimmages" basically include little half court sets run over and over again.

Either the SLU athletic department and marketing team just doesn't get it, or they try to do something fun and Majerus waters it down.

Lastly, someone previously posted that our offense could be a problem this year based on what they saw last night. Just a reminder, it's difficult to run an offense when the defense knows exactly what offense and play you're running.

I agree, I didn't take the classroom demands being a priority as a negative at all. At the outset last night, RM pointed out what great students these guys are, saying that he has three legitimate Academic All-American candidates on the roster. He also said that once mid-terms are over, they will have six-hour practices Saturday through Tuesday. We have a terrific group of kids this year, and they have to put aside everything but classwork and basketball to be a part of it.

A couple of additional observations: GG has great athleticism and is very entertaining to watch, but he will foul out in four or five minutes until he learns to channel all that energy. Still, a nice addition to the team. Also, my heart stopped when KM limped off the floor and sat behingd the basket standard for about 10 minutes before heading to the locker room. It waas wonderful to see him back on the court later without any ice packs or crutches attached. I guess he just rolled an ankle and will be fine. Whew!

From slubillikens.com. It was one of the revolving headline articles. Why?

ST. LOUIS - Saint Louis basketball fans will get their first glimpse of the 2011-12 Billikens this Tuesday, Oct. 18, at the Billiken FanFest, which will feature a Blue vs. White scrimmage.

Doors to Chaifetz Arena open at 5:30 p.m., with the 30-minute scrimmage set to start at 6 p.m. Admission and parking (Fred Weber VIP Lot) are free.

Following the scrimmage, Billiken players and coaches will be available on the court for autographs and photos. In addition, several prizes will be given away to those in attendance, including a VIP package to the Billikens' opener against Tennessee State on Nov. 11. Free food and drinks will also be available at the event.

-do we take a deal with gonz to play at scottrade??? has the luster gone off their rose a little bit in the last few years? not saying i wouldn't trade places with them but am saying they are not unc, duke, ucla, ky or ku

-i am not sure they are worthy of that sort of deal, unless tv is involved

-and i think we are recruiting indy so butler makes a lot of sense, i doubt they can sustain their run of final game appearances but should remain a quality game with some name recognition, perhaps they are the new and improved secular gonz?

While Gonzaga may not be UNC, Duke, KU or Kentucky, I would say they are the next tier down from those teams, in that they are now considered one of the top 10-15 programs in the country. They are a team that has now made 13 consecutive NCAA tourneys. They have shown sustained success that few other teams can claim. They also usually schedule an extremely difficult non-conference slate every year.

I don't think Gonzaga is really out of line to request that the game be played in Scottrade. Will the arena get filled? Highly doubtful, due to its 20,000+ capacity. But, will the game bring more than 10,600. Yes, in all likelihood. And we will probably get some national TV exposure with the game, as Gonzaga typically gets that type of coverage during their non-conf schedule.

-do we take a deal with gonz to play at scottrade??? has the luster gone off their rose a little bit in the last few years? not saying i wouldn't trade places with them but am saying they are not unc, duke, ucla, ky or ku

-i am not sure they are worthy of that sort of deal, unless tv is involved

-and i think we are recruiting indy so butler makes a lot of sense, i doubt they can sustain their run of final game appearances but should remain a quality game with some name recognition, perhaps they are the new and improved secular gonz?

If Gonzaga wants to play at Scottrade than the return game should be in either Seattle or at Spokane Arena and not in "The Kennel"

While Gonzaga may not be UNC, Duke, KU or Kentucky, I would say they are the next tier down from those teams, in that they are now considered one of the top 10-15 programs in the country. They are a team that has now made 13 consecutive NCAA tourneys. They have shown sustained success that few other teams can claim. They also usually schedule an extremely difficult non-conference slate every year.

I don't think Gonzaga is really out of line to request that the game be played in Scottrade. Will the arena get filled? Highly doubtful, due to its 20,000+ capacity. But, will the game bring more than 10,600. Yes, in all likelihood. And we will probably get some national TV exposure with the game, as Gonzaga typically gets that type of coverage during their non-conf schedule.

I agree and didn't RM say we would play off their campus in return

We get a home and home with Gonzaga we take it

If Gonzaga wants to play at Scottrade than the return game should be in either Seattle or at Spokane Arena and not in "The Kennel"

Yeah Rick said the game would be at Scottrade and the return game will be in their big arena. In other words the return game will not be in the Kennel

This was a joke. They schedule the damn thing and get people out and then act surprised the kids have class and exams. Seriously?

Could you really call that a scrimmage? Cassity and Conklin couldn't be there. MM, JJ, CR, KM, and maybe more leave at about 6:45 to study for exams and for study hall. Then at about 7:00 after having the crowd ask maybe 1 silly question aloud for the players, RM says come down and meet them, they are good kids and very engaging and all, Declan comes over and says they have studying to do and have to go so make it quick. I left with the thought of F>>K YOU in my head.

The lady in front of me brought 4 kids, how pissed would I be as a parent if my kids had looked forward to this and I brought them.

Really, could they not plan something and dedicate 2-3 hours to the fans.

Oh yea, free munchies, I'm so excited.

On a good note ... We're going to fall in love with GG over the next 4 years. Endless energy and a personality and smile that doesn't seem to quit

Obviously didn't attend, but have to agree here. It's not about studying over bball, it's about the fact that it is even part of the discussion at an event like this. 2 starters don't show then the rest need to cut it early for exams? Here's an idea...have it when the rest of the country does...on a Friday night. OR...wait another week and have it after exams. How do people not think these things through? Is my fine Alma mater really run like this?

However, thanks for the reports on player development. GG sounds like he could be that tough guy with hops we've been looking for.

Yeah Rick said the game would be at Scottrade and the return game will be in their big arena. In other words the return game will not be in the Kennel

-what i heard Rick say is there are negotiations with gonz for a series, gonz wants to play at scottrade, if we play at scottrade we would not play on their campus, but no contract has been signed

It's just hard to find a perfect time. I would like to see an actual Midnight Madness type event but they obviously don't want to do that, so we have to take what we can get. There are midterms this entire week so it would have been a problem no matter what day they did it. Fall break starts on Friday and I'm sure they didn't want to exclude students who might have wanted to go home. So, in an attempt to have it close to the start of practices, they had it when they did. If they wouldn't of had he even at all people would have really complained. I'll take the little we got over nothing.

It's just hard to find a perfect time. I would like to see an actual Midnight Madness type event but they obviously don't want to do that, so we have to take what we can get. There are midterms this entire week so it would have been a problem no matter what day they did it. Fall break starts on Friday and I'm sure they didn't want to exclude students who might have wanted to go home. So, in an attempt to have it close to the start of practices, they had it when they did. If they wouldn't of had he even at all people would have really complained. I'll take the little we got over nothing.

-from what i saw students were few and far between, hopefully not the case when the games start

-lot of little kids, future Billikens or fans, very good on that

Shouldn't the students have been studying for midterms instead?

the pefect time would have been like the rest of the country that had a fan friendly event did it, either a midnight friday night or a saturday event. considering rickma is already planning marathon practices starting this coming friday, i seriously doubt if giving away an hour saturday would have cost the billikens the national championship.

likely (this is my opinion no inside information) this day was actually picked because he knew so many players would be missing because of exams. cant have a decent practice, well hell let's let the fans come that day.

Majerus did have some scheduling tidbits.

He's trying to schedule Gonzaga next year. They only want to play us at scottrade for some reason. Verbal agreement with Butler for a home and home but still needs to be firmed up. Somebody asked about playing Bradley, Majerus said they are a fallback option if something can't be worked out with Butler or Gonzaga.

What!!! - Metz did not have a second confirmation on his post that we would be playing Bradley - shame on him!!

ST. LOUIS - Saint Louis basketball fans will get their first glimpse of the 2011-12 Billikens this Tuesday, Oct. 18, at the Billiken FanFest, which will feature a Blue vs. White scrimmage.

Doors to Chaifetz Arena open at 5:30 p.m., with the 30-minute scrimmage set to start at 6 p.m. Admission and parking (Fred Weber VIP Lot) are free.

Following the scrimmage, Billiken players and coaches will be available on the court for autographs and photos. In addition, several prizes will be given away to those in attendance, including a VIP package to the Billikens' opener against Tennessee State on Nov. 11. Free food and drinks will also be available at the event.

-skip, how did the U mislead with this? maybe the word 'scrimmage' but the bball part was longer than 30 minutes

-was this event what i wanted? not exactly but it seems close to what was advertised

-the U missed a chance to hire Pres some years ago to make these sorts of things work and student interest rise as the folks doing this while trying are missing the mark, unfortunate

I don't think you get it. If you aren't going to deliver something, don't promise it. It's simple, if you say you are going to do something, do it. Really, how difficult of a concept is that to grasp?

Well, that is exactly what happened - I do agree that mid terms should have been known about but all in all it was fine - I went to see the scrimmage so it met my expectations.

When we go up there I doubt we will not play in their bandbox of a gym. Personally, I would tell the Zags no deal unless we play at our place - I am not all that excited about them truth be told - they are not a top tiered team anymore.