FAN FEST

TVACH13

-skip, how did the U mislead with this? maybe the word 'scrimmage' but the bball part was longer than 30 minutes

-was this event what i wanted? not exactly but it seems close to what was advertised

-the U missed a chance to hire Pres some years ago to make these sorts of things work and student interest rise as the folks doing this while trying are missing the mark, unfortunate

Seriously?

Being a SLU fan for so long has conditioned you to expect to being underwhelmed. "seems close to what was advertised" Yep

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you get it. If you aren't going to deliver something, don't promise it. It's simple, if you say you are going to do something, do it. Really, how difficult of a concept is that to grasp?

I don't get it? Maybe you need to lose the entitlement and realize we don't automatically deserve an event like this, but the University was nice enough to at least give us something. What did they not deliver? You didn't get enough of a free look at the entire basketball team? Get over it.

A couple of additional observations: GG has great athleticism and is very entertaining to watch, but he will foul out in four or five minutes until he learns to channel all that energy. Still, a nice addition to the team.

I'm trying to remember the last freshman who showed up on SLU's campus with a body like that. The cool thing is that we don't need more than 5 minutes a game from Grandymama right now. We have depth up front. But there will come a few games, probably in conference play, where our Billikens will be getting thugged in the paint. Cory and Conk will be in foul trouble. Rob and Cody will be getting beat like foster children new to the group home. Coach will look down the bench and call for Sheriff Grandymama to ride in and restore order. It will be a beautiful sight.

I don't get it? Maybe you need to lose the entitlement and realize we don't automatically deserve an event like this, but the University was nice enough to at least give us something. What did they not deliver? You didn't get enough of a free look at the entire basketball team? Get over it.

I think Skip's complaint is that it was a wasted marketing opportunity. This is the kind of thing where you try to sell your program. If you are trying to do that you better deliver as advertised.

This program isn't in the position to waste an event like last night. Not when your attendance has dropped 30% since the first year at the Fetz. The program is missing out on a lot of money over the last few years.

I think Skip's complaint is that it was a wasted marketing opportunity. This is the kind of thing where you try to sell your program. If you are trying to do that you better deliver as advertised.

This program isn't in the position to waste an event like last night. Not when your attendance has dropped 30% since the first year at the Fetz. The program is missing out on a lot of money over the last few years.

exactly

i doubt this was the AD's drop though. he got all he could get. he needs cooperation from all concerned for a complete success.

the pefect time would have been like the rest of the country that had a fan friendly event did it, either a midnight friday night or a saturday event. considering rickma is already planning marathon practices starting this coming friday, i seriously doubt if giving away an hour saturday would have cost the billikens the national championship.

likely (this is my opinion no inside information) this day was actually picked because he knew so many players would be missing because of exams. cant have a decent practice, well hell let's let the fans come that day.

I don't know why I have been agreeing with Roy so much lately, but you make a very vaild point here. Basically, I thought the same thing after getting home last night. Why do we just get this abbreviated glimpse of an open-practice with Majerus complaining about mid-terms and study halls? Wasn't this known ahead of time? Couldn't this have been scheduled on Saturday or even this coming Friday evening instead?

Moreso, if it is just going to be so short, why not at least give us a real scrimmage? If you are going to make it end early, why try to treat it like a practice? You have fans there, many who traveled a longer time than the actual event lasted, and you give us a half-a$$ed practice session! Then you tell us that these kids need to go because of study halls, and that two of the most known players to fans, Conklin and Cassity, aren't even there due to classes that had obviously been scheduled since the semester began, let alone when this event was scheduled.

As I stated before, if you were going to make this an abbreviated event due to the players' need to study or attend class, at least make it FUN for the fans who you requested to attend. Have them play an actual scrimmage. Keep score. Let them play to the crowd a bit. Make us feel excited about the players and this coming season. Do SOMETHING!

I don't get why they couldn't have the event in a week or two. If you're not going to have a midnight madness, then wait for midterms to be over and run the event properly. Heck, with a week or so of practice the kids might be able to put on a better show and would probably welcome the break from RM's marathon practices.

You're a joke. You are way off base with your entitlement and free look comment.

I didn't ask for anything but SLU advertised something. Could they not have put some effort into doing it right?

They didn't have a 30 minute scrimmage.

By 6:45 these players were gone or were never there. BC, KC, CR, KM, JJ, MM. 50% of their top 10 players.

You were satisfied, great. I was underwhelmed and stated it. Get over it.

There are very few people over the last almost 20 years who have supported the Bills more than I have and not just with dollars. (And I'd bet there aren't a thousand fans who have given the athletic department more money over the last 20 years than I have, and far fewer non - alumni) I have been extremely supportive of RM over and over again taking his and the schools side most of the time.

It's also not just the mens basketball team I support.

Grandy is a monster. I haven't seen that aggressive style of play in a long time at SLU. In my opinion he is a big get.

I liked his potential the first time I saw him step on the court at one of the pre-Canada trip practices. I think he could find a 3-5 mpg niche. Brian is aggressive, but lacks athleticism. Corey is athletic, but sometimes lack an aggressive edge. GG is rough around the edges, but could provide a spark in small doses with aggressive and physical play. He is immediately our strongest, most athletic big.

You're a joke. You are way off base with your entitlement and free look comment.

I didn't ask for anything but SLU advertised something. Could they not have put some effort into doing it right?

They didn't have a 30 minute scrimmage.

By 6:45 these players were gone or were never there. BC, KC, CR, KM, JJ, MM. 50% of their top 10 players.

You were satisfied, great. I was underwhelmed and stated it. Get over it.

There are very few people over the last almost 20 years who have supported the Bills more than I have and not just with dollars. (And I'd bet there aren't a thousand fans who have given the athletic department more money over the last 20 years than I have, and far fewer non - alumni) I have been extremely supportive of RM over and over again taking his and the schools side most of the time.

It's also not just the mens basketball team I support.

KM was there FAR beyond 6:45, signing autographs and taking pictures with fans on the floor.

Over 75% of the fans left after practice and didn't take advantage of the meet and greet opportunity that followed...

-one item i failed to mention and think is important, Rick looked relatively great, has lost weight and had good color, i hope an indication his health is at least stable and perhaps improving

-also he mentioned how important CR could be to the team

Seriously?

Being a SLU fan for so long has conditioned you to expect to being underwhelmed. "seems close to what was advertised" Yep

-missed opportunity? sure

-very close to what was advertised? yep, from my perspective

-do they need to figure out how to do better? yep, they is adept

-conditioned to being underwhelmed? you might be correct, but i can see what they told us they were doing, what they did and what they could have done and i will start another thread on just this that i hope can stay on topic and be (hopefully) an easy reference for the adept to use to improve future events like this

likely (this is my opinion no inside information) this day was actually picked because he knew so many players would be missing because of exams. cant have a decent practice, well hell let's let the fans come that day.

I'm SHOCKED Roy! I'm AGHAST! I'm FLUMMOXED! I'm BEWILDERED! I'm BAFFLED! I'm also STUNNED that you would blame Rick For this.

By the way, did you know he also causes global warming, ring around the collar, and bites the heads off of puppys?

KM was there FAR beyond 6:45, signing autographs and taking pictures with fans on the floor.

Over 75% of the fans left after practice and didn't take advantage of the meet and greet opportunity that followed...

My bad then. I thought he was one of the many that had to leave. Of course we we did. We were told basically to be quick about it.

-one item i failed to mention and think is important, Rick looked relatively great, has lost weight and had good color, i hope an indication his health is at least stable and perhaps improving

-also he mentioned how important CR could be to the team

I agree with both points. Rick looked like he lost a lot of weight.

You could tell that Rick really wants CR to become an important part of the team. He mentioned that he has all the tools and ability but he just needs to find that aggressiveness and confidence. He is hoping he becomes are leading rebounder. If CR plays to his ability, we have a chance to win the A-10.

I'm SHOCKED Roy! I'm AGHAST! I'm FLUMMOXED! I'm BEWILDERED! I'm BAFFLED! I'm also STUNNED that you would blame Rick For this.

By the way, did you know he also causes global warming, ring around the collar, and bites the heads off of puppys?

didnt know but not surprised. thanks for the additional ammo on his worthlessness off the court.

My bad then. I thought he was one of the many that had to leave. Of course we we did. We were told basically to be quick about it.

It's fine.He had a huge group of fans surrounding him, so I can understand why you thought he left.

Just talk to some of the kids and fans that stayed and waited through the line to meet the team. I bet they would have a very different reaction from last night.

Fans were on the floor, meeting the team, taking pictures, talking to coaches, watching interviews, and signing autographs until 7:30ish.

The best part was a group of kids from Loyola Academy surrounding GG after that and asking him questions about all of his tattoo's and being from Canada. Hilarious. He did a great job with the kids.

It's fine.He had a huge group of fans surrounding him, so I can understand why you thought he left.

Just talk to some of the kids and fans that stayed and waited through the line to meet the team. I bet they would have a very different reaction from last night.

Fans were on the floor, meeting the team, taking pictures, talking to coaches, watching interviews, and signing autographs until 7:30ish.

The best part was a group of kids from Loyola Academy surrounding GG after that and asking him questions about all of his tattoo's and being from Canada. Hilarious. He did a great job with the kids.

Obviously you are connected with the AD and the event, so my question would be ... why after RM invited everyone to come down and meet the team and talk with them and all would Declan take the mike and basically say make it quick though the guys have to go. I'd bet that's why so many people left.

Also if they thought they were putting on event as planned why did RM feel obligated to apologize for having to cut it short and the players either not being there or having to leave early?

I'm done harping on this. I really don't want to be negative. I was very underwhelmed, others disagree ... so be it

Obviously you are connected with the AD and the event, so my question would be ... why after RM invited everyone to come down and meet the team and talk with them and all would Declan take the mike and basically say make it quick though the guys have to go. I'd bet that's why so many people left.

Also if they thought they were putting on event as planned why did RM feel obligated to apologize for having to cut it short and the players either not being there or having to leave early?

I'm done harping on this. I really don't want to be negative. I was very underwhelmed, others disagree ... so be it

I was a bit underwhelmed but it wasnt a complete disaster that you are portraying

exactly

i doubt this was the AD's drop though. he got all he could get. he needs cooperation from all concerned for a complete success.

Just curious who you mean by that. I've agreed with everything to this point, but i'm reading between the lines that you may think it is Rick's fault. That cannot be the excuse. Rick is at the mercy of the AD and SLU (as we saw with last years fiasco). So...I have to disagree that this blame lies on anybody's shoulders other than the Athletic Director or perhaps other administrators in the dept.

The thing is the program has to find a better way to market itself. Our average attendance was down almost 3,000 since the first season at Fetz. If you don't include the donation money, the program brought in $1.35 million less last season than it did in the 2007-2008 season in ticket sales (using an average ticket price of $25).

I was a bit underwhelmed but it wasnt a complete disaster that you are portraying

Whetting an appetite and satiating it are certainly two different things; didn't get enough: then buy season tickets.

For those of us with other things to do, it was plenty.

I am curious to see how KC will fit in with KM , JJ, MM, and other smalls like JB but the two exhibition games should be a clue.

Just curious who you mean by that. I've agreed with everything to this point, but i'm reading between the lines that you may think it is Rick's fault. That cannot be the excuse. Rick is at the mercy of the AD and SLU (as we saw with last years fiasco). So...I have to disagree that this blame lies on anybody's shoulders other than the Athletic Director or perhaps other administrators in the dept.

You didn't get the memo... everything is now Rick's fault. Under Sodie, everything was the fault of the Athletic Department, lack of administrative support, blah, blah, blah.