Bernie on Willie

HenryB

Former St. Louis U. basketball center Willie Reed seems determined to re-enroll at the school and resume his basketball career with the Billikens. Friday we received this statement from St. Louis-based attorney Nick Brockmeyer, who is representing Reed: "Willie has a great desire to return to St. Louis University. Willie is currently completing sanctions required of him by the University. Willie will attempt to re-enroll at St. Louis University for the Spring 2011 semester as a student athlete. Willie hopes to return and become a productive member of the university community." Guard Kwamain Mitchell also plans to apply for reinstatement. Both left the school just days before fall practice began after being found to have violated the school's code of conduct.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Former St. Louis U. basketball center Willie Reed seems determined to re-enroll at the school and resume his basketball career with the Billikens. Friday we received this statement from St. Louis-based attorney Nick Brockmeyer, who is representing Reed: "Willie has a great desire to return to St. Louis University. Willie is currently completing sanctions required of him by the University. Willie will attempt to re-enroll at St. Louis University for the Spring 2011 semester as a student athlete. Willie hopes to return and become a productive member of the university community." Guard Kwamain Mitchell also plans to apply for reinstatement. Both left the school just days before fall practice began after being found to have violated the school's code of conduct.

Well, I guess that's as official as you can get. Ball's now in SLU's court. Hopefully not the kangaroo one. If SLU lives up to it's Jesuit/Catholic credo then WR should be allowed back to redeem himself.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_7a5e3460-0c3b-5ced-b6d6-0e2737b448d7.html

As a SLU fan I am pumped up by this. I think it speaks to the chemistry that the players on this team share. They were obviously very close.

My hats off to him, I'm not sure I would've apologized.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_7a5e3460-0c3b-5ced-b6d6-0e2737b448d7.html

As a SLU fan I am pumped up by this. I think it speaks to the chemistry that the players on this team share. They were obviously very close.

My hats off to him, I'm not sure I would've apologized.

Willie is showing unbeleivable maturity right now. SLU should be contact with him throughout the entire admissions process to make sure all his t's are crossed. And then Biondi should personally take the application into the admissions office and stand over the person as they check the accepted box.

And if I ever hear another breath from anyone on the *****'s (does this count as using her name) side, when Willie is leading this team to a successful season, that the punishment was not tough enough I will most certainly blow up.

-Nick

-have the events leading to and the discipline levied been the most debated topic ever on billikens.com? perhaps, not hear to do that anymore

-here is where i am on this, the U put in place requirements by which WR and KM could reapply

-if the kids meet each and every one of those requirements one(me) would expect they are allowed back into the U

-i can see the reason for making their intentions public (pressure the U),i can also see not making it public (U not liking the pressure)

-we'll see

Sometimes the measure of a situation or person is how they act because of it or how the result turns out. If both KM and WR matured due to this then as persons it was worth it - as fan it was not but hey that is secondary here. At this point girl has turned out to be the biggest looser - how ironic.

Where was this published? I can't find it on STLToday.com

Definitely good news. Here are a couple questions I have:

1) Does Willie only play this half season and leave? I say absolutely not. Why would he go through all this trouble just to play 12-15 games? If we have Willie next year and KM together with the current class with a year of experience under them...Yikes.

2) Does Willie redshirt? I highly doubt it. I can see him playing the second half, playing next year and then declaring.

3) Does KM redshirt? I say all signs point to yes. Just a gut feeling.

I hope all parties learn from this and move on and come together for the better good of the University and the players. As for a lot of people who know him personally it's nice to see him to start the process of growing up (we hope!) I know a couple of player and coaches who thinks that this kid thinks he can do and act anyway he wants and doesn't have to answer to anyone. My uncle coached WR in AAU ball and he has a rep as a head case and this is not the first time that he and Sr have bump heads. Sr enrolled in Bishop Miege to have a opportunity at a scholarship and Jr wanted the easy way out so he moved in his mom and convince her to let him go to Milestone. It was Sr who exposed Milestone. everyone in the Kansas City area that knows Jr. He a good kid that does stupid things and when he gets in trouble he calls Sr to bail him out. I've spent an entire summer with Sr driving our AAU team van out of town and he's Big MF who doesn't play but his fair and he anthe coaches were always on Jr and his work habits. So maybe he has learned his lesson this time. Stay up and good luck WR MO/KAN Players for life. See you in Branson soon.

SLU has no choice they have to let these two back in. This would be a great PR move considering how they handle this the first time. Hey maybe they can have a press conference with KM,WR jr&sr and John Cook all shaking hands and moving forward.

Have not been able to read all the threads, but I have noticed a number of references to John Cook the huge $$$ donor.

Has it come out that he is the relative of the girl involved in this?

I loved watching these players score points in games and deliver Billiken wins, but more than that, when all is said and done, I really want to see them in heaven.

For Willie this makes a lot of sense. He needs to 'showcase' himself. He plays last few months of the season here, has a crack with the NBA. If he doesn't make that or gets into the NBDL, he bolts for Europe.

A move to K-State could mess this all up, even if he makes the team he may never get off the bench (ala Josh).

Now come on SLU, lets treat them right.

Now this is the kinda news I like waking up to!!!!

+1

Hopefully with Bernie in on the story, it will put some pressure on SLU to keep their word and allow them back in if they meet all the requirements. We saw how Bernie got behind Josh Harrelson when he was being treated unfairly. Lets hope he gets behind Willie and Kwamain the same way, but it ends up better for SLU this time.

Definitely good news. Here are a couple questions I have:

1) Does Willie only play this half season and leave? I say absolutely not. Why would he go through all this trouble just to play 12-15 games? If we have Willie next year and KM together with the current class with a year of experience under them...Yikes.

2) Does Willie redshirt? I highly doubt it. I can see him playing the second half, playing next year and then declaring.

3) Does KM redshirt? I say all signs point to yes. Just a gut feeling.

If Willie plays this year and next he will be out of eligibility.

I suspect that if Willie does come back and plays, Kwamain will also play. If willie doesn't come back the decision won't be so obvious for Kwamain.