Defense

booyaa87

Fox 2 news interviewed KC and CE as well as RM in reaction to the loss of KM and WR. Sounds like the players are staying positive and are ready to take on the challenge. I am counting down the days to 10/25 to get a look at the freshman.

After watching the story on the news, the highlights of Willie made me realize how much our defense is going to suffer with his loss. Wille's shot blocking effected nearly every game last season. You could tell when he was off the floor because teams were more aggressive to attack the basket. I really hope CR has made a significant improvement to his game and that RL is the real deal. I fear that part of the reason KC and CS looked so good on defense at times last season was because they could pressure the perimeter without having to worry about penetration thanks to Willie's presence.

Fox 2 news interviewed KC and CE as well as RM in reaction to the loss of KM and WR. Sounds like the players are staying positive and are ready to take on the challenge. I am counting down the days to 10/25 to get a look at the freshman.

After watching the story on the news, the highlights of Willie made me realize how much our defense is going to suffer with his loss. Wille's shot blocking effected nearly every game last season. You could tell when he was off the floor because teams were more aggressive to attack the basket. I really hope CR has made a significant improvement to his game and that RL is the real deal. I fear that part of the reason KC and CS looked so good on defense at times last season was because they could pressure the perimeter without having to worry about penetration thanks to Willie's presence.

I think this is somewhat the case with CS and KC. However, I think at the end of the season we saw CR really come into his own on defense. Also, reports are that he grew at least another inch in height. I feel a lot better entrusting CR with the void that Willie left behind than I do with anyone with the void that KM left. However, this also makes me feel better knowing that in all likelihood, KM will be back in January.

In the meantime, I think that RL will take over at PF and CE will move over to the 3 with CR playing C. Therefore, KC can play the 2 and MM will start at PG with JJ and CS backing up at the guard positions. I also think that PE will be relied on a lot.

I think this is somewhat the case with CS and KC. However, I think at the end of the season we saw CR really come into his own on defense. Also, reports are that he grew at least another inch in height. I feel a lot better entrusting CR with the void that Willie left behind than I do with anyone with the void that KM left. However, this also makes me feel better knowing that in all likelihood, KM will be back in January.

In the meantime, I think that RL will take over at PF and CE will move over to the 3 with CR playing C. Therefore, KC can play the 2 and MM will start at PG with JJ and CS backing up at the guard positions. I also think that PE will be relied on a lot.

I honestly thought that CR was a better shot blocker than WR by the end of last year. I do think he needs to move his feet better, just be quicker. Its the rebounding that worries me.

Willie blocked some shots, but he wasn't a great defensive player.

Agreed. I remember him being slow to recognize what was going on and often slow to rotate to provide help defense.

He was a presence inside and that will affect things. However, I do think CR can mitigate some issues that will arise due to WR's departure.

Agreed. I remember him being slow to recognize what was going on and often slow to rotate to provide help defense.

He was a presence inside and that will affect things. However, I do think CR can mitigate some issues that will arise due to WR's departure.

If he can stay on the court...so many fouls...

My biggest question with CR is whether he can stay out of foul trouble. He basically had the same number of fouls as Willie did last year, despite playing only half the minutes as he averaged one foul per 6 minutes played.

Averages are just that, with some games him getting fouls at a 3 minute per clip and other games it being 9 minutes per. If Majerus sticks to his 2 fouls in the first half rule, there could be a lot of games where CR only plays 5 or so minutes before riding the bench the rest of the way. Hopefully the coaches have worked with him on how to improve this.

Willie blocked some shots, but he wasn't a great defensive player.

Cory is a much better one-on-one defender. However, Willie's weakside shot blocking will be missed. Hopefully, our guards will be stronger and therefore more able to stop penetration.

My biggest question with CR is whether he can stay out of foul trouble. He basically had the same number of fouls as Willie did last year, despite playing only half the minutes as he averaged one foul per 6 minutes played.

Averages are just that, with some games him getting fouls at a 3 minute per clip and other games it being 9 minutes per. If Majerus sticks to his 2 fouls in the first half rule, there could be a lot of games where CR only plays 5 or so minutes before riding the bench the rest of the way. Hopefully the coaches have worked with him on how to improve this.

The fouls were a huge problem.

Im hoping that his lack of playing time contributed to that.

I think he knew he would only get a few minutes a game and was over aggressive because of that.

He understood that he was only going to get a 10 minutes a game so he never had ro worry about foul trouble.

Hopefully with his increased minutes he plays smarter and is able to avoid some of the ticky tack fould he picked up last year.

The trick will be keeping the aggressiveness while playing more under control.

Cory is a much better one-on-one defender. However, Willie's weakside shot blocking will be missed. Hopefully, our guards will be stronger and therefore more able to stop penetration.

Agreed. Willie altered countless shots as well that ended up in misses off the weak side help. His wing span seemed like it was never ending. Cory will be tough, but he won't be the shot blocker Willie ever was and he will never get off the ground as quickly as Willie, but like you said, lots of strength one on one that Willie did not have. Too bad we can't have the best of both worlds.

if cody plays the 3 how well do we think he will match-up against opposing team's 3? seems like a tough defensive match-up for cody unless he got a lot quicker.

There are some bigger 3s in the league like Johnson on Dayton that Ellis could match up well against. If he is going up against smaller guys they will be just as mismatched on the our end as we are on theirs.

Agreed. Willie altered countless shots as well that ended up in misses off the weak side help. His wing span seemed like it was never ending. Cory will be tough, but he won't be the shot blocker Willie ever was and he will never get off the ground as quickly as Willie, but like you said, lots of strength one on one that Willie did not have. Too bad we can't have the best of both worlds.

Rick seemed to imply at MAC that he was after another Big in recruiting and that Manning from VA has the body he can mold as well; if one of his offenses has two Bigs rotating in and out looking for shots on both the perimeter and posting up we

should see a steady stream of big men and have trouble remembering the name of the quick, skinny kid from Kansas City that would pull himself from games because he was winded

Rick seemed to imply at MAC that he was after another Big in recruiting and that Manning from VA has the body he can mold as well; if one of his offenses has two Bigs rotating in and out looking for shots on both the perimeter and posting up we

should see a steady stream of big men and have trouble remembering the name of the quick, skinny kid from Kansas City that would pull himself from games because he was winded

SLU68, 4:47 A.M.? Can't sleep trying to remember that quick skinny kid from KC, MO who always had his hand up wanting a breather? I seem to remember his parents letting him screw up his senior year of high school.

if cody plays the 3 how well do we think he will match-up against opposing team's 3? seems like a tough defensive match-up for cody unless he got a lot quicker.

Even if quick enough to play the 3, if CE does play the 3 when several of our guards (KC, DE, JJ, CS, etc.) can play it, then what happens to our depth at the 4 and 5. I would think that we play CE at the 4 (w/ BC as his back up) and that we play CR at the 5 (w/ RL as his back up). With the loss of WR and if CE plays the 3, doesn't that leave just 3 guys to play the 4 and 5 positions?

Even if quick enough to play the 3, if CE does play the 3 when several of our guards (KC, DE, JJ, CS, etc.) can play it, then what happens to our depth at the 4 and 5. I would think that we play CE at the 4 (w/ BC as his back up) and that we play CR at the 5 (w/ RL as his back up). With the loss of WR and if CE plays the 3, doesn't that leave just 3 guys to play the 4 and 5 positions?

Yeah, we need CE to play the 4 so BC can back up the 5.

I have been told repeatedly that Cody has really slimmed down. Curious to see how much so. Enough that he'll play himself out of a 4 role? I hope not.

In my head I imagine our frontcourt will see a breakdown something like CE: 18; BC: 15; CR: 7 at the 4 and a pretty even split of RL and CR at the 5, with Cody logging some additional minutes at the 3. Who knows, though. I'm getting excited for the season to start, all things considered.

Rick the Pick should still have three years of eligibility left. He only played his freshman year.

Moser said Evans was in the mix at the 4. I like that Evans looks good, but I don't like seeing him at the 4.

Moser said Evans was in the mix at the 4. I like that Evans looks good, but I don't like seeing him at the 4.

Why not? While he does not have the ideal height for a 4, he could probably play there against certain match-ups. If he is a tenacious rebounder like has been described, who cares if he is an inch or two shorter than the ideal height. Rebounding isn't all about height. Conklin is only an inch taller and he'll be playing the 4.

I would be shocked if RL logged much time at the 5.

I wouldn't. I think he'll primarily play the 5, when he plays. The positions pertain more to defense than where a player tries to get his points from, in my opinion. More than likely, unless he's outweighed by 50 pounds, Loe will guard the opposition's center/tallest player/lost-post player. That would make him the 5, even if he roams the perimeter on offense. Think Bill Lambeer.

I wouldn't. I think he'll primarily play the 5, when he plays. The positions pertain more to defense than where a player tries to get his points from, in my opinion. More than likely, unless he's outweighed by 50 pounds, Loe will guard the opposition's center/tallest player/lost-post player. That would make him the 5, even if he roams the perimeter on offense. Think Bill Lambeer.

I guess you missed Porter's comments on how terrible RL's defense is. Laimbeer was was tough as nails, a very good defensive player, and a flat out monster on the defensive boards. Those are qualities RL lacks right now.

Rickma is not going to put his most highly touted recruit so far in a position to fail or force him to play a position he told him he wouldn't.