Tatum Lottery pick?

almaman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Tatum anywhere from 3-7.  He shouldn't drop below that.  

This draft class is loaded though.  A lot of the picks have yet to be determined as well.  So many trades, protected picks and depending on where a team finishes in the standings and then where they end up in the lottery.  For instance Sacremento could have 3 lottery picks in one scenario, but they also could have none.

Even though he spurned us, he still is a hometown guy.  I hope for his sake he doesn't end up on the Kings, Magic, or Knicks. 

The folks here that want to see a local kid do well like myself are the ones that care.

Mr. Tatum will become a millionaire several times over and hopefully have enough money were several generations of Tatum's will live well.

I will enjoy knowing the pride that the Tatum's must have for their son's accomplishments.

I had quit watching the NBA in the late 90's.   A couple of years back I kept hearing about curry so I turned him on late one night.   Supreme entertainment and I loved the way the whole team played.   

Because of curry I've now been exposed to others like wall and Westbrook and I've found myself watching more and more.   Still would like to see the whistle blown more often, but I think the mindset of the NBA is changing.    There are still plenty of selfish oafs playing but it seems to me to becoming less and less.

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I had quit watching the NBA in the late 90's.   A couple of years back I kept hearing about curry so I turned him on late one night.   Supreme entertainment and I loved the way the whole team played.   

Because of curry I've now been exposed to others like wall and Westbrook and I've found myself watching more and more.   Still would like to see the whistle blown more often, but I think the mindset of the NBA is changing.    There are still plenty of selfish oafs playing but it seems to me to becoming less and less.

I would imagine most of the "I don't like the NBA's style" crowd hasn't been watching for years, and if that's the case, they're missing out. The style of play has unquestionably gotten better. They've gotten way better about holding officials accountable (a gambling scandal will do that), although I agree that there is still some work to be done there. There are players who will finish in the 15-20 range in MVP voting this year who would be top 5 in "normal" seasons - which is to say that the stars in the NBA have gotten so good and so efficient that the best players' numbers this season are eye-popping. The League's popularity is rising both in the US and internationally. Salaries are rising to absurd heights. It's probably as good and healthy as it's ever been.

Meanwhile, college basketball is the sport being pushed to the margins as the "big four" have become the NFL, NBA, college football, and MLB (which is on shakier ground). College officials have been horrible in the NCAA Tournament and remain completely unaccountable for their performance. Casual fans are only paying attention for three weeks in March-April. Ratings have sagged and attendance is down in many conferences.

Don't get me wrong, I love college basketball and always will. But if anyone's going to plant their flag in the "NBA sucks, college basketball is better" camp, it's getting increasingly lonely. It's okay to like both, and in fact, following both makes each one more interesting.

As for whether we should care about Tatum, absolutely. Every additional STL-area player in the NBA is a good thing. We're also about to have a local high school with three NBA players at the same time: Chaminade, with Lee, Beal, and Tatum. That's not a bad number for a college program, let alone a HS one, and especially one that isn't named Oak Hill. Not to mention, Tatum was probably the most important recruiting miss in SLU program history. He's always going to be of interest to us.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

As for whether we should care about Tatum, absolutely. Every additional STL-area player in the NBA is a good thing. We're also about to have a local high school with three NBA players at the same time: Chaminade, with Lee, Beal, and Tatum. That's not a bad number for a college program, let alone a HS one, and especially one that isn't named Oak Hill. Not to mention, Tatum was probably the most important recruiting miss in SLU program history. He's always going to be of interest to us.

Just underline what Bradley Beal has recently done for the local amateur hoops scene.  It's pretty significant for those involved.  I hope the best for Tatum and his family. 

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

I've seen Tatum anywhere from 3-7.  He shouldn't drop below that.  

This draft class is loaded though.  A lot of the picks have yet to be determined as well.  So many trades, protected picks and depending on where a team finishes in the standings and then where they end up in the lottery.  For instance Sacremento could have 3 lottery picks in one scenario, but they also could have none.

Even though he spurned us, he still is a hometown guy.  I hope for his sake he doesn't end up on the Kings, Magic, or Knicks. 

Knicks please!

Roy and Pistol are correct.  The NBA is a totally different product than it was 20 years ago.  If you are not watching, you are really missing out.

I like NCAA basketball better, but it isn't because of the quality of product on the court.  The NBA puts a far superior product on the court.  It is everything else around the NCAA game that draws me in.  

NCAA basketball is hurting and it is hurting because the Tournament dwarfs everything else.  The regular season feels meaningless to many.  I don't know exactly how you fix that completely.  

I think limiting the neutral site games that teams play in the OOC season might help.  The atmosphere of those games just isn't the same as what you get on campus.  

I think there should be a minimum number of true road OOC games established that teams must play every year.  Fans love upsets and this is a way to give them more of them in the early part of the season.  It is, also, way to give games more of an important feel with the a campus getting all fired up to play someone good that they have never seen before.  

That atmosphere that exists for a college football game just isn't close to being there for large parts of the college basketball season.  I think that atmosphere is what helps drive college football ratings.  I think a just doing a couple of the things above would give the college game more of that.

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Roy and Pistol are correct.  The NBA is a totally different product than it was 20 years ago.  If you are not watching, you are really missing out.

I guess im missing out.  I liked the NBA in the late 90's early 2000's, cant stand it now. Far too commercialized. Was lucky enough to go to a knicks game at MSG a few years ago(was a dream to go to MSG), worst professional sporting event experience I've ever been to. 

Whether you like the NBA or not, why is it that some people cannot bring themselves to offer Tatum their good wishes? We all know what this means to him. He is a nice local kid with true feelings for St. Louis and, I believe this is true, for SLU as well. Why can't some of you wish something like "good luck" or "all the best" to a local kid who is facing a really important moment in his life?

Fox Sports Midwest has really got me back watching the NBA by telecasting the Pacers and Grizzles games.

You get to see all of the teams at some point and not just the teams anointed by ESPN as the ones you should see.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Just underline what Bradley Beal has recently done for the local amateur hoops scene.  It's pretty significant for those involved. 

-please elaborate, what I remember is that he donated some money and the team changed the name to BBE, I am missing the significance

59 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-please elaborate, what I remember is that he donated some money and the team changed the name to BBE, I am missing the significance

More than that, seems almost all the kids in HS watch him and aim to follow his lead. Local Idol.