Ranking

bk18

Currently 19 with no games until 1/29. Next AP poll comes out 1/27.

Ranked teams with losses this week:

17 Ohio State @ Nebraska

13 UMass vs. Richmond

10 Iowa @ Michigan

9 Wisconsin @ Minnesota

4 Villanova vs. Creighton

games left from:

18 Duke vs. Florida St.

17 Ohio St. vs. Illinois

16 Iowa St. vs. Kansas St.

15 Cincinnati vs UCSF, Temple

14 Kentucky vs. Georgia

11 Oklahoma St. vs WVU

10 Iowa vs. Northwestern

9 Wisconsin at Purdue

4 Villanova vs. Marquette

Also could be passed by 21 Michigan as they defeated 10 Iowa this week and are 6-0 in Big 10 play.

Last week SLU jumped 5 spots. I think this week we can expect 2-7 spots, most likely 3. Plenty of interesting games to follow to see if SLU can chase to sub 13 which would be the best ranking in how many years?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 spots is a bold prediction, I see us settling at 16-17th IF Ohio State and Umass fall far enough. I could see them being 17th and 18th right behind us. Big loss at home for the Minutemen. About as big as the notorious Santa Clara loss we're all trying hard to forget. Once we pummel GM and Richmond we'll move up to 12-14?

17 Ohio State @ Nebraska

13 UMass vs. Richmond

10 Iowa @ Michigan

9 Wisconsin @ Minnesota

games left from:

18 Duke vs. Florida St.

17 Ohio St. vs. Illinois

14 Kentucky vs. Georgia

11 Oklahoma St. vs WVU

10 Iowa vs. Northwestern

9 Wisconsin at Purdue

Also could be passed by 21 Michigan as they defeated 10 Iowa this week and are 6-0 in Big 10 play.

Last week SLU jumped 5 spots. I think this week we can expect 2-7 spots, most likely 3. Plenty of interesting games to follow to see if SLU can chase to sub 13 which would be the best ranking in how many years?

1964-65, when they came in at No. 9 in the AP Top 25 on Dec. 29.

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=206603761

7 spots is a bold prediction, I see us settling at 16-17th IF Ohio State and Umass fall far enough. I could see them being 17th and 18th right behind us. Big loss at home for the Minutemen. About as big as the notorious Santa Clara loss we're all trying hard to forget. Once we pummel GM and Richmond we'll move up to 12-14?

UMass lost on the road, not at home.

17 Ohio State @ Nebraska

13 UMass vs. Richmond

10 Iowa @ Michigan

9 Wisconsin @ Minnesota

games left from:

18 Duke vs. Florida St.

17 Ohio St. vs. Illinois

14 Kentucky vs. Georgia

11 Oklahoma St. vs WVU

10 Iowa vs. Northwestern

9 Wisconsin at Purdue

With a close win at the Dukes and no other games we will barely move if at all. Last night sheds some light on all those predictions of going undefeated in conference play. Going to be a tough few weeks coming up.

With a close win at the Dukes and no other games we will barely move if at all. Last night sheds some light on all those predictions of going undefeated in conference play. Going to be a tough few weeks coming up.

Nobody is going to be penalized for a close win on the road by the voters.

UMass lost on the road, not at home.

And Richmond is a pretty decent team at that. Really no comparison to the Santa Clara loss for SLU last year. UMass will drop some in the poll, but not a bunch, unless they lose against Fordham at home (doubtful.)

And Richmond is a pretty decent team at that. Really no comparison to the Santa Clara loss for SLU last year. UMass will drop some in the poll, but not a bunch, unless they lose against Fordham at home (doubtful.)I always thought

I always thought Santa Clara was kind of a unfortunate aberration. It was like the 1st game of the season and Crews being new with Majerus still in a critical condition.

Now the Rhode Island loss at home in January, I thought that was worse. They only had 3 other conference wins last year.

I always thought Santa Clara was kind of a unfortunate aberration. It was like the 1st game of the season and Crews being new with Majerus still in a critical condition.

Now the Rhode Island loss at home in January, I thought that was worse. They only had 3 other conference wins last year.

IMO, Santa Clara was moe disastrous when you consider not only how poorly we played and lost but also by how we got blown out of our own gym and how no adjustments or timeouts were attempted.

First the bad news ..

The Duq game damaged my numbers similar to the RI game....we have dropped back to about 30th....it took about 3 games to recover from RI.. I probably won't do a top 25 list for a bit (unless there is demand for it) . The irony is we took more of a hit numbers wise than UMass did with a loss.

The good news is....

We are still an A team

This win won't hurt our poll status....once you are ranked, the voters only punish you when you lose....see UMass on Mon

We can recover quickly with a win over Richmond...though it may still take 3 games to get back where we were unless we pound teams.

We are off to the 2nd best start In the 100 year history of the Bills.

We will be favored in the next 8 games.

In other news .....

While Fordham & Duq are still C- teams a win in their next game can move them up to C level. If they both win ...the A-10's worst teams will be C. This is usually the sign of a good league....when your worst is a C. When the old Big East was the #1 league their bottom feeders were C.

While UMass suffered less damage than we did....their numbers dropped enough to push them down to an A-.

I currently have VCU as the #1 team in the A-10 at #25....though they are also ranked A like the Bills so the difference is small.....Right now, I have the Feb 15 game as a win for the Bills.

Dayton has slipped to the "last 4 out" category. GW continues to hang tight in the "last 4 in" column.

Finally, the Bills need to just keep winning 1 game at a time and the numbers will take care of themselves. The Bills have a chance for a season of epic proportion.

The way I look at the game last night is this: DE had a bad night and, for some reason which is not clear, failed to contribute in his usual manner to the game. As a result SLU struggled against Duquesne but still beat it. The reason we beat them is that there is enough power in the SLU team to make up for the minimal contribution of Evans in this game. Now, let's compare this to the UMass Richmond game last night. UMass' key guy is Chaz Williams who apparently played a very mediocre to bad game last night against Richmond. It is evident that UMass could not make up for the poor contribution of Williams and lost the game. It may also be that Richmond is better than Duquesne, which I do not doubt for a second.

Duquesne did put up a great effort last night and came close to defeating us, they played well and deserve recognition for this. Now, will this happen again when we go against Richmond? I do not know with any certainty but doubt it.

Let's talk about the effect of last night's game upon our ranking and future play. First, I do not think our national ranking will be affected severely. In the Team rankings scheme we went down from a 115.3 rating before the Duquesne game to a 114.9 this morning (went down from #18 to #19), certainly this is not a deadly blow to our standing in any way you look at it. Second, Evans is most likely to come out of this funk and go back to his normal level of play in future games. I think we will do fine. I still think we will win the next 4 games (Richmond, George Mason, St. Joseph, and LaSalle) to complete our 16 win string before we face VCU 2/15. This does not mean under any stretch of the imagination, that I think VCU will beat us, however I think VCU will be a tougher antagonist than the other four teams prior to VCU.

The URI game was much worse. Santa Clara had an rpi of 97 and URI was 201. We didn't have Kwamain against Santa Clara and it was early in the season. We did have KM against URI and he had a big game, but we STILL lost. Also the URI game was unexpected because it was just a few weeks after our awesome performance against New Mexico, when it looked like we were starting to turn the corner.

If you think every ranked team has to beat a bad team by a landslide (especially away from home), you clearly haven't watched the NCAA tournament...

If anything, this game gives us even more confidence for those games that will come down to the wire in the tourney

get ready to be every teams super bowl for the rest of the year

I remember back in the day, we would have a ranked team or a top team in the conference come to the Scottrade and the little Billikens would usually give them a good shot, but typically fall just short. The little old Billikens would get praise for giving it the old college try. It's always easy to get up for good teams. Now, with our recent success, we are the hunted. Games like URI and Duquesne on the road may not be pretty, but the bottom line is we are finding a way. The good news is I think we are capable of better on the road and it will take efforts more like the way we played at Dayton to go into places like LaSalle and UMass to get wins.

I saw that the Richmond fans stormed the court after beating UMass... UMass? Do you think the fan at the Duquesne game would have rushed the court last night if they had won?

Any discussion of where we will be ranked next week also needs to factor in what teams ranked below us have done. Here is what has happened to the AP 20-25 teams so far:

#20 Pitt: Clobbered Clemson by 30+. Plays at Maryland this weekend.

#21 Michigan: Beat #10 Iowa. Plays at Michigan St. this weekend.

#22 K-State: Lost @ Texas. Play at Iowa St. this weekend

#23 Memphis: Play Houston and South Florida at home

#24 Baylor: Lost to Kansas. Host Texas this weekend

#25 Oklahoma: Beat TCU. Play at Texas Tech this weekend.

#26 Creighton: Clobbered #4 Villanova on the road. Host Georgetown this weekend.

Based on results so far, I could see Pitt, Michigan and Creighton jumping ahead of us.

We'll probably be pretty close to the same. kshoe makes a good point. Michigan, Pitt, and Creighton could leap us. Texas is sneaking up. Oklahoma might be. A few others will drop.

We took care of business this week (kind of). Win both next week, we're in great shape.

My prediction is #14 when new rankings come out. More upheaval due starting tonight till Sunday for sure which might make lucky #13 a reality sooner than we think. Just keep winning....last night was ugly but we will take the win any way we can.