Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Pickett to SLU is from sources. The Lawson brothers is just hope. We were talking about a Memphis connection not too long ago right? Does anyone know if Roby knows them?

Give me a break. You're speculating based on twitter, if anything.  I think we have a good shot at Pickett, but you don't have any "sources" telling you he's leaning SLU. But if he commits you'll give the classic "I told you so."  I'm not buying it. 

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Give me a break. You're speculating based on twitter, if anything.  I think we have a good shot at Pickett, but you don't have any "sources" telling you he's leaning SLU. But if he commits you'll give the classic "I told you so."  I'm not buying it. 

Not True.

I'm not gonna claim to have any inside sources here. Just a hunch. But I think Ford is working some magic behind the scenes. It's been too quiet (yes I know, recruiting dead period), and I don't think Ford likes playing second fiddle to SPUMAC in terms of recruiting. I'm thinking it's Tilmon. I think Pickett is a part of that.  Before the Pickett news, I'd say Tilmon to MIZ was almost a lock. It still might be. I've just got a gut feeling here that Ford is gonna be putting in some work here shortly.  

11 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I'm not gonna claim to have any inside sources here. Just a hunch. But I think Ford is working some magic behind the scenes. It's been too quiet (yes I know, recruiting dead period), and I don't think Ford likes playing second fiddle to SPUMAC in terms of recruiting. I'm thinking it's Tilmon. I think Pickett is a part of that.  Before the Pickett news, I'd say Tilmon to MIZ was almost a lock. It still might be. I've just got a gut feeling here that Ford is gonna be putting in some work here shortly.  

IMG_9339.GIF

On 3/15/2017 at 8:44 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

Look if porter goes to mizzou, mizzou will literally be the exact same as Lsu was with Simmons. Also recruiting to Cal has to be a lot easier than Mizzou. Also ACE Tilmon and Goodwin aren't as good of friends as you think. During that time Tilmon didn't sign for Illinois, he was thinking of SLU, but then Goodwin started talking s hit about being Mr Illinois so he went to Illinois. 

41 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Tilmon side is pissed that he doesn't have his release yet. Pickett and Tilmon and Goodwin are close. Picket was a target to try to get closer to Goodwin and Tilmon. 

Three weeks ago you were on here saying that Tilmon and Goodwin weren't close.  Implying that Tilmon wasn't coming here because Goodwin talked smack about Mr Basketball.  Then you later went on to imply that that Tilmon being pissed at Goodwin cost us any shot at Smith.

Now Goodwin and Tilmon and Goodwin are close.

On Monday you will be posting that the two never met each other.

17 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

IMG_9339.GIF

Haha, it's just a gut feeling.  I don't want to falsely elevate any hopes.  But we can dream.

If I was an STL area guy, and I saw Mizzou bringing in these five stars from all over the country all of a sudden (Porters and Knox), that would irk me a bit.  I think SLU has the potential to build something special with primarily local players.  Think of the rivalry that could develop- Mizzou essentially bringing in "paid" mercenaries from all over vs SLU with a team of highly regarded local guys.  Imagine a second round NCAA tourney matchup in KC....

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Three weeks ago you were on here saying that Tilmon and Goodwin weren't close.  Implying that Tilmon wasn't coming here because Goodwin talked smack about Mr Basketball.  Then you later went on to imply that that Tilmon being pissed at Goodwin cost us any shot at Smith.

Yea that was from what I heard from Smith camp a few weeks back. Had me worried about Goodwin. Things have changed

Unlike some, I hesitate to spread baseless rumors.  However, here I go calling the kettle black.  Anyone could have found this, but yes, I am the guilty one posting it.

This is from Ryan Easterling who runs the Illini Inquirer website and forum.  Easterling is suggesting that Pickett didn't receive enough love from Underwood.

Regarding Pickett's request, rumors are swirling that he was disappointed in the lack of continued effort in recruiting him by the new staff and that, despite several visits by the staff to Jeremiah Tilmon and Mark Smith, that he was only visited once despite his proximity to the other two recruits.

We hope to have more on this developing story soon here on IlliniInquirer.com.  In the meantime, head on over to the IlliniInquirer forum to discuss.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1769238-breaking-pickett-to-request-release-from-loi

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Pickett to SLU is from sources. The Lawson brothers is just hope. We were talking about a Memphis connection not too long ago right? Does anyone know if Roby knows them?

I posed the question about why SLU doesn't recruit more heavily in Memphis given the proximity, availability of talent, and the fact that their program is down right now. The consensus was that SEC school have too much cultural pull in the region among top 150 players in the city, and Ford can recruit top 150 from elsewhere. I still think that SLU should push to expand their general presence in Memphis. The city has a wealth of talent and it wouldn't hurt to be known around there. Even if Ford can get kids from anywhere, it wouldn't hurt to have a pipeline from there long term.

In terms of the Lawson brothers, I don't think there's a chance (I acknowledge that you said you are just hoping). I don't think SLU has a chance for the following reasons:

1) One of the brothers (I can't remember which one) had/has NBA hopes. Even though SLU is definitely trending up, I sincerely don't think the program is in a place where NBA hopefuls think they will propelled by coming here. I really hope this begins to change after some successful years.

2) My perception is that people in Memphis think of the University of Memphis as a Kentucky level program that is just going through a rough patch. I think that the Lawson brothers would want to go to a top program like Kentucky. Obviously I don't think Memphis is on the same level as Kentucky, but that is how people perceive the program in Memphis. The University of Memphis and the Memphis Grizzlies is the only thing that that city has to hold on to.

15 hours ago, brianstl said:

15 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Yea that was from what I heard from Smith camp a few weeks back. Had me worried about Goodwin. Things have changed

So what changed is now you say they are close pals, and when you said they weren't close (and even that Tilmon dropped interest in SLU b/c of Goodwin) that was good information at the time... Um, right.

My prediction, SLU will sign another recruit before next year. Can't wait to gloat when I am proven correct!